Old July 31, 2001, 19:18   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Marine Detachment Bug or MCC feature
Alright, I started my first ever game of SMAX (put down SMAC months ago, finally got interested waiting for Civ3 and took 2 months to get SMAX at a decent price off Ebay) but I'm having a problem with marine detachments

I'm Domai, I have the Maritime Control Center as well as having discovered Adaptive Doctrine, yet in the unit workshop, I can't attach the marine detachment, its not even an option. Is this a bug (I have SMAX 2.0) or has the MCC been adjusted to give the marine detachment as well? I've put things on scenario and attacked a whole bunch of ships, many weakened, but never captured one. Is the success of capturing rare? Is its success dependent on morale? Well, any insights would be useful.

PS I already did a seach for this question, but it appears no one's had this problem or I missed it. Thanks ahead of time.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:45   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:59
I think that this did make it to zsozso's bug thread, but I am not positive. This is a hit or miss problem for me. Usually I will be able to build "marine detachment" ships, but some games I simply do not get this option in the design workshop.
Old July 31, 2001, 20:40   #3
Fitz
King

Local Time: 03:59
Are you sure you've installed the SMACX v 2.0 patch correctly? Several times before I realized what was going on I would go to install it and fail to do the second unzip needed in the process, thereby failing to install the patch.

Edit: The other problem people seem to encounter is that in the DW, there is a scrollbar to the right of the abilities once you get a certain amount available. Make sure you're scrolling down to examine the whole list.
Old August 1, 2001, 20:22   #4
SerapisIV
King

I've installed the SMAX v2.0 pacth 3 times to check. I've put the same saved game into scenario mode, changed factions to the university, and I'm able to build marine detachment without any problem. Switch back to Drones, nope, can't do it. Don't know what's up with that.

I check zsozso's bug thread completely, the only marine detachment bug I found was mention of a bug capturing base units with marine detachments, no mention of not being able to build them at all. Again, this is my first SMAX game, not sure how often this occurs.

Anyone else had this problem? Found fixes?
Old August 2, 2001, 00:23   #5
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:59
It should be pretty obvious if your patch is installed from the readme file. Like Serapis IV I occasionally have this problem. I know of no fixes. Thankfully it doesn't seem to happen that often.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:58   #6
Darius
Prince

You can tell if the patch is installed correctly by clicking on "Menu", then "Help", then "Show Version Number". It should read "Version: Release 2.0" if the patch was installed correctly. (I agree - the patch procedure is confusing.)
Old August 2, 2001, 13:24   #7
SerapisIV
King

The game always tells me its 2.0, but just in case I've redownloaded and reintalled patch 2.0, still no marines. Goddamn, and with an avatar like mine, I'm sure you can guess what my strategies would be. Damn freaken bugs. Although I think Domai actually looks a lot like USMC Commandant Krulak, another reason for me to be pissed at this problem. What's even worse is that Russian Commie bastard Zakharov can build them, but I can't. Well, enough mindless, childish and moronic rants.