Old August 3, 2001, 06:43   #31
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus

You have probably forgotten about width, haven't you?
So, how wide is the Great Wall of China? A mile? Ten?
Old August 3, 2001, 19:56   #32
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 05:00
back to the main discussion
The idea that there will be only 12 main wonders is sort of bothersome to me. I know a few can be civ specific, apollo and manhattan come to mind. but there still needs to be some we have to race for.

it may be that almost all those wonders named after a certain leader (king richard, galileo, Xin Yu, Adam Smith) may require you to coax these leaders to join your civ before you can build them. intriguing thought.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 4, 2001, 05:29   #33
TechWins
King

It appears that the Hanging Gardens will be in. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...1449-3,00.html

The city of Brundisium is building the Hanging Gardens. This thread should stop talking about the great wall being seen in space and start trying to find out wonders that will be in the game. Or at least some talk about wonders while talking about the space thing. In fact somebody should start a list such as the 'Civs Included: Just The Facts Madam 2' list being done by Locutus. Any volunteers? Sabre2th you should probably do it since you started the thread. Again this can only be done if we start to actually talk about wonders.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 4, 2001, 11:29   #34
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 12:00
John Madden once said that Gabe Wilkins could be seen from space.
Old August 5, 2001, 12:13   #35
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:00
Here's a screenshot from the trailer from the Civfanatics website. Anyone care to speculate on which wonders are featured here?

I was also thinking that someone could start putting together a comprehensive list of the wonders which will be featured.

We've seen multiple references to the Pyramids, and what appears to be a Lighthouse is featured in many of the city view shots. Any others?

Here's the link...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/Forum5/HTML/000214.html
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wonders.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1576  
Old August 5, 2001, 15:11   #36
Sandman
King

Local Time: 13:00
Not only can the Great Wall not be seen from space, it is in fact a pile of unimpressive rubble for much of its length. Ever since it was built, people have pinched stones from it to build their own stuff. The images usually seen are sections of the wall which have been restored for the tourists.
Old August 5, 2001, 17:46   #37
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 06:00
down th' pub I love the way you brought up a john madden qoute right after
techwins told us to get serious like a stuffy old man scolding us youngins.

i've never seen that pic before! where'd it come from originally? one of those buildings is exactly like the hagia sophia on CTP

the golden topped building could very well be the dome of the rock.

i hate speculation but what if there's wonders that do the same things and that all civs can build but have differant names? dome of the rock-muslim peoples, hagia sophia-christians?

i don't have a clue as to what that asian buliding is
Old August 6, 2001, 01:09   #38
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:00
Let's see. It appears we have the following:

Palace - Taj Mahal looking building
Temple - Building with the golden dome
Cathedral - Green tower with blue building in shape of cross below

Those are the ones I am fairly sure of. The multiple tubes could be a launch pad for a space ship but in a city?

The building in the corner could be a cathedral wonder or it could be a University.

The asian style building could be anything. No real ideas and the square building could be the library or really anything else.

That would be my thoughts on the picture.
Old August 6, 2001, 01:51   #39
TVA22
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:00
Great Wall From Space
None of you know what you're talking about on this issue. First of all, at the Great Wall's most popular tourist spot outside Beijing, Badaling Pass, there are pictures on display of the wall at various points. And among these pictures, are pictures of the far eastern side of the world, from space, and there are sections of the wall that *are* visible from earth orbit. The wall is not visible for the whole length, but in sections it is, the issue here is not the length or hieght of the wall, but the width, (enough for four horses to ride abreast) which is nothing on it's own, but the real issue is the contrast with it's surrounding terrain, accross such a long distance, unbroken, so that the human eye is able to discern a distinct *line,* granted, it fades in with the background at parts, but that's the way it is folks.

If you don't believe me, try a little exercise, paint a paper green, splash some black and brown on it, still mostly shades of green, (you've painted a large forest from space)then paint a thin line accross it with a needle, step back 20 feet, and you will still register a line. Now, if you still don't believe, paint over that line with matching green. There, now you understand how the eye registers color! You're on your way to being an artist!
And *Sandman,* go to Badaling Pass outside Beijing, and hike up the mountains, to where you can see for 40 miles in every direction, the wall stretching into the horizon on both sides, then tell us what an: "unimpressive pile of rocks" it is.
Old August 6, 2001, 02:11   #40
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:00
So what are the known wonders from CivIII? Let's make a proper list!

100% Positive:

Pyramids
Great Wall
Great Canal

Probable:

Lighthouse
Pentagon?
Internet?
Manhatten Project
SETI Project
Apollo Project

Are there any others? Please update the list, if possible.
Old August 6, 2001, 02:48   #41
TechWins
King

Quote:
100% Positive:
Hanging Gardens as well. Look at my post above.

Quote:
down th' pub I love the way you brought up a john madden qoute right after techwins told us to get serious like a stuffy old man scolding us youngins
I'm young too, 15. It's just that the subject was going no where and I thought actually talking about something useful might be more effecient. I didn't say to get serious either, I said to at least start talking about the wonders. Don't play so much into words. I guess the reason why I don't like all the laughing discussions (a little humor is still good, though) here is because first I don't find them funny, second I don't come here to look at jokes, and most of all when I'm not on here I screw around all the time making jokes. I would say I probably laugh about 50% of the time I'm not on Apolyton. My life is already full of humor I don't need to have more humor fulfilled here at Apolyton. Believe it or not I'm actually a very funny guy.

In some screenshot it shows that the city is building a great cathedral. This could very well be a wonder or maybe not. I'll try to find the screenshot sometime later.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 6, 2001, 10:01   #42
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:00
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
In fact somebody should start a list such as the 'Civs Included: Just The Facts Madam 2' list being done by Locutus. Any volunteers? Sabre2th you should probably do it since you started the thread. Again this can only be done if we start to actually talk about wonders.
I will certainly do a list if/when this thread gets on topic , but I'm at work now, it will have to wait until tonight.
Old August 6, 2001, 10:06   #43
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Believe it or not I'm actually a very funny guy.
No you're not, you just think you are
Old August 6, 2001, 13:49   #44
jsw363
Prince

Do we actually have more than textual confirmation of the Great Canal and Great Wall?

I think that we need to classify the different types of evidence in support of the existence of each wonder. (i.e. textual, screenshot, etc.)

The Lighthouse appears in many city view screens, so I think it should be confirmed.

I have attached the pic below.
Old August 6, 2001, 13:52   #45
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
I have attached the pic below.
No you haven't.......

About the Great Wall and Canal: They have both been confirmed by Firaxis, so they are in. If we dig back, we also have other confirmed wonders. Like I said in my previous post, I can do that later when I get home (I'm still at work and don't have time to make a list)
Old August 6, 2001, 13:54   #46
jsw363
Prince

Sorry, can't attach the pic since it's too big, so here's the link:

http://apolyton.net/civ3/images/view...yViewShot1.jpg
Old August 6, 2001, 15:55   #47
korn469
Emperor

i would think that in order of importance would be

*a direct post by a member of firaxis clarifying the issues of wonders
*a quote from a member of firaxis in a recent interview
*a recent screenshot
*a preview (but i would give them very little credit)

but it does look like the lighthouse and the pyramids are in the game from that screen shot

but i also thought that there was only twelve wonders...it would kinda suck if they were all ancient and middle age wonders but who knows till you play it
Old August 6, 2001, 15:58   #48
Sabre2th
King

korn: there are significantly more than 12 wonders (I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head). There are 12 major wonders (only one will exist in the world) and 12(?) minor wonders, which each civ can build once.
Old August 6, 2001, 16:03   #49
korn469
Emperor

Sabre2th

yea i know that, sorry i forgot to type in major wonder (unique wonders)

as for the mini-wonders...if you think about it they are just really expensive buildings with civ wide effects...so maybe i didn't need to include "major" after all

edit:

ok i have a question about mini-wonders...if they get destroyed can your civ rebuild them or are they a one time thing?
Old August 6, 2001, 18:28   #50
TechWins
King

Quote:
ok i have a question about mini-wonders...if they get destroyed can your civ rebuild them or are they a one time thing?
I would think that each civ could only build one, no matter what happens. At least I hope that.

Quote:
No you're not, you just think you are
I have people tell me all the time you're funny and it's after they've been laughing for about the last half hour straight. So I know they're not lying.
Old August 6, 2001, 21:30   #51
Sabre2th
King

You obviously missed my , TechWins
Old August 7, 2001, 07:58   #52
jsw363
Prince

Is there any way to tell graphically (i.e. from pics) if a wonder is major or minor? Or do we have to rely on text references to distinguish between the two? To my knowledge there hasn't been so much discussion about wonders by Fireaxis.