Old December 2, 2000, 14:22   #31
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mercantile, I had almost the same thing happening to me. None of my cities were growing and suddenly one of the old *) ones revolted. Maybe I built a new city and exceeded the max city limit. I dont remember. I guess when no cities are growing you can get a double unhappy citizen due to exceeding the max city limit (one factor).

* random factor:

quote:

Originally posted by arii on 12-13-1999 12:39 PM
...Second the extra unhappy citizen is randomly assigned to a city. You can check witch city got it in the city screen under happy.

This quote above is from a post at: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/000798.html

Richard, Fergus: I guess you can click the "Happy" button and go thru every city every turn. Can be tiresome...I tried it once with 254 cities.
Old December 3, 2000, 09:50   #32
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 12-01-2000 05:44 PM
Why is it some cities revolt at size three even with three units stationed in the city?

At Deity level, your first cities start with 1 content citizen. However, after a certain number of cities, (and in some cases disctance from the capital is also a factor) you lose this happy citizen, and the first citizen is a red face. This number depends on government type.

From memory, the number is 8 at Despostism, 12 under Monarchy, 16 Under Republic.

This is all well documented somewhere in the Forums, check out the APolyton Great Library.

When founding these cities, you can send out a warrior with the city, or put up with very slow unit building!

Captured cities seem to get a black angry man as the firsst citizen.

Old December 5, 2000, 01:17   #33
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:47
Double unhappy citizens (black icon) appear in some city (seemingly at random) based on a new city being founded after "X" number of cities. This is dependent on level (e.g., Deity) and Government. This is a separate phenomenon (albeit related) from the red faces in the city being built post some number of cities. I've not seen anything about double unhappies in the GL or elsewhere having anymore precision then my vague summary above.
Old December 5, 2000, 06:00   #34
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

BlauPanzer - the pirate appears after either 2x or 3x cities have been built - sorry my memory fails me but the sequence of events is something like...

up to x - first citizen content
x+1 to 2x - first citizen red (somewhere - not necessarily in the new city)
2x+1 to 3x - first citizen a pirate (somewhere)
3x+1 on first citizen a pirate everywhere

the details may be off a tad, but the key numbers are I believe correct. DaveV - you around??

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old December 5, 2000, 08:48   #35
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:47
quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 12-05-2000 05:00 AM

up to x - first citizen content
x+1 to 2x - first citizen red (somewhere - not necessarily in the new city)
2x+1 to 3x - first citizen a pirate (somewhere)
3x+1 on first citizen a pirate everywhere

Close, but not exactly right, from my experience. From x+1 to 2x, you will get an unhappy first citizen in two (random) cities for each new city you build. So at 2x, you'll have an unhappy first citizen in all cities. Same thing from 2x+1 to 4x, until the first citizen in every city wears a black hat. Building beyond 4x creates a second pirate in random cities. Note that two luxuries, Hanging Gardens, or an elvis will convert a pirate to a happy (rather than unhappy, or even merely content) citizen. Building beyond 8x cities will cause "super pirates" to start appearing. Super pirates are graphically indistinguishable from regular pirates, but need extra pacification. A temple and two garrison troops will change two pirates to content, but the city will revolt if one of them changes to a super pirate.

At Deity, x is 6 for Monarchy on a small (and, I think, medium) map, and 8 on a large map.

This neat mathematical formula applies only if all of your cities are smaller than size 3 - at some level of population, a single large city will count as two or more small cities. Thus the reports of population growth causing unrest, without any additional cities being built.

Edited to remove references to non-existant "super pirates". What was I thinking?

Edited again to restore super pirates. They do exist, but come later than I originally remembered.

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 12-06-2000 05:55 AM
Thanks DaveV - I somehow knew you would have this one down pat

Let's see how quickly the Scouser puts his faith in me next time!
[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old December 6, 2000, 06:55   #36
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thanks DaveV - I somehow knew you would have this one down pat

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old December 6, 2000, 16:17   #37
SilverDragon

Plan your tech path so your goal techs won't disappear. See oedo's unfinished.

------------------
Go Redskins!

Email me at
SilverDragon141@aol.com