Old August 1, 2001, 16:36   #1
VisionV
Settler

Local Time: 12:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Frenzy AI in Multiplayer Game?
I really have two questions.

1) I would like to change some unit specs in a multiplayer game. I have changed the archer in my units.txt to Attack=5, Defend=5 and Ranged Attack=10 in order to bring better balance and need for combined arms. In order to change this on multiplayer games do I need to change this on every station or just on the host?

2) I would like to use the FrenzyAI (or other mods perhaps) in multiplayer games. Do I just install all the TXT files with it in the appropriate directories for multiplaying or what? Also, do I need to update every station or just the host?

Thanks. With mods this game is fun, but I play with friends, so we need the multiplayer aspect. We also like to play as a team many times, so we need to mod the multiplayer AI to give us a challenge.

Thanks!
Old August 1, 2001, 22:32   #2
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 07:00
I have personally done extensive tests with some of my friends about this. The answer to your question is that every single player needs to have the exact same files installed(patch, mods, and any changes to the .txt files in the game) If these are not all exactly the same, the game will resinc every turn. (this is also useful for determining if someone is cheating if the game resyncs like crazy, someone has changed thier stuff)

as for your second question i believe the same aplies ( i have never used frenzy mod) whatever you change on one comp change exactly the same on all.
Old August 1, 2001, 22:43   #3
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:00
I got news for you Irate.

CTP-2 Mplayer is broke. Those Resyncs are not because of cheaters, they are from TGA application errors. Read the "Still Cracking..." thread for details.

As it stands you cannot play an entire CTP-2 game on activision server. The Resyncs will prevent that...It is BROKE. Once you get to the ren age your CPU will go ape balls with Resyncs

But im pinning my hopes on a solution im working on (see thread also).
Old August 1, 2001, 22:58   #4
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 07:00
hey saddam

i used to play m-player all the time and i have a 56k modem that connects at 49.333bps. Sure it resincs every......20-30 turns or so but it usually doesn't damage game that bad, if someone loses a stack of 12 units we just reload from the last save. (host saves every 2-3 turns) But m-play being broke is a misconception. 1 vs 1 in my experiance is very stable 4 vs 4 is fairly stable, and anything more is very unstable. I have played many people on m-player so i dont know why people think it is broke. just go to http://gameleague.megaultra.com and you will see a ladder of a whole bunch of ctp2 online players. Third thing is most games dont get past modern (most don't even get there even) and when they do they begin to resinc badly sometimes but are still mostly playable. I have even had nuke wars with people. So multiplayer is not broke at least not for me and the maybe 100 people that played when i did.

also thier are ways to fix resincs. if they start happening often just save and reload game or if its just one player have him exit out of server and reinter this fixes most resinc problems.