Old August 1, 2001, 22:33   #1
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
On the spooky side of things...
I've come to think that one of the inadequacies of scenario building is a hampered ability to evoke emotions. Now, I'm not talking about the satisfaction one gets from completing, say, Red Front, nor do I mean frustration from an overly easy, uninspired scenario with nothing but grassland on the map. I mean things like dread, embarrassment, etc. (As a rule, humour is not included in this list; wherever there is text, laughter can be induced by someone with a sharp-enough mind.) The limited and somewhat clunky nature of the game engine isn't the best thing for an emotional impact.

I would like to be proven wrong.

Basically, this was a verbose way of asking if anyone knows of a scenario that does such a thing. Specifically, I am looking for a game that is scary. I ask because I don't think that the scenario I am developing (based on the Resident Evil franchise) will be spooky enough. I have a few good ideas, but it's not enough. So, if anyone could direct me to a scenario that would be useful, I'd very much appreciate it.

P.S. In the first paragraph I spelled the word "humor" with a "U" after the "O." I don't actually spell the word that way, but I just read a long essay on the Internet that was written by a British person and the extra "U" thing is stuck in my head. Those wacky Brits!
Old August 2, 2001, 02:45   #2
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 20:01
I am afraid to say that you are mostly right. Beyond working on the sounds, there is little you can do about inducing fear as the motion part is severely constrained.

One thing you could try is to threaten the player chain mail style. (If you do not clap your hands three times now your hair will slowly fall out)

How about changing the terrain via events in one sweep so it looks like the screen was gashed and is bleeding (matched with the appropriate sound).

========

Brits are wacky but not from the spelling. 'Humour' has always been spelt that way. Its probably because of the persistant low education level after the American revolution that led so many people to mispell it. Eventually 'humor' became acceptable and then the norm. Personally I think humour should be spelt that way as the ending is pronounced '..mere' and not '...more'.

Now the change from 'centre' to 'center' I agree is for the better.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:41   #3
Thoth
King

Local Time: 08:01
Music. It sounds simple, but it works. The TOT scenario "Europe in Flames" makes heavy use of music and recordings of speeches and radio broadcasts from the Second World War. The emotional impact was considerable. I had goosebumps.

If you're working on a horror scenario I would suggest screams, squeaking floors, insane laughter, ect ect. You can create an event that will play these sounds at random. (As Kobayashi did with the Star Wars theme music in "SW: Insurrection". )

It may not inspire complete abject terror, but I think the use of sounds will go a long way towards setting the mood.
Old August 2, 2001, 16:00   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 14:01
You should have a look at Jesús Balsinde´s Eldorado scenario (can be found here: http://spanish.apolyton.net ).
That scenario takes you straight into the jungle of South America. Brilliant!
Old August 2, 2001, 16:39   #5
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:01
I fully agree with Mercator. El Dorado is the most atmospheric scenario I have ever seen.
My tip for a creepy atmosphere is to not overdo it. I mean, if you play too many "wicked laughters", owl sounds etc. that will be anoying and the player will eventually decide to turn off the sounds. The rarer the sound effects, the higher the effect on the player. You should also experiment a bit around; which sound effects really fit, where do they fit and how do they fit? How to improve the effect itself? Try watching (if you're really doing a scenario in that direction) some movies that really scared you white the first time you saw it. My best tip is "Sleepy hollow". I wasn't really scared by that movie, but the effects were brilliant. The horse echoing in the dark mist alone would've made me crazy if I had watched it in the cinema (though I didn't, and I regret it).
Old August 2, 2001, 21:22   #6
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Thanks for the tips. It does seem to me that sounds are really the only way to set a mood in scenarios. The thing is, that's pretty much the only thing I can come up with. I'm planning on associating a certain sound with a certain creature, so the player will feel unsettled when that noise is heard. Having the scenario in silence for a while might also help. Also, the use of very short, AVI "cut-scenes" (because of file size, they can only be brief) to liven up the atmosphere a bit. It's not much, but it's what I have right now.

I guess I'll go check out Eldorado. I read the review for it on SLeague and it looked interesting.

Quote:
Brits are wacky but not from the spelling. 'Humour' has always been spelt that way. Its probably because of the persistant low education level after the American revolution that led so many people to mispell it. Eventually 'humor' became acceptable and then the norm. Personally I think humour should be spelt that way as the ending is pronounced '..mere' and not '...more'.
From my admittedly limited remembrance of such events, it wasn't so much a lack of education but an attempt to "Americanize" and simplify the English language that caused the American way of spelling words, with famous lexicographer Noel Webster (and his 1783 work Spelling Book) being the main proponent. Some of the words Webster proposed (I believe "vektur" instead of "vector" was one such word) didn't make the cut, but many others, such as "humor," became accepted terms in American English.
Old August 2, 2001, 22:36   #7
Eternal
King

I was going to do a Korea scenario after NATOPact, but now I'm wondering if I can pull off a horror scen. I think it should be some kind of medieval thing having to do with all kind of spooky things. Of course this would probably call for lots of custom graphics, and I don't know if I'm up to the task. I'll think about this while I'm waiting for Max Payne to arrive (after that I'll be doing less thinkin and more killin).
Old August 3, 2001, 19:13   #8
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Well, I played Eldorado a few times, and I find it to be an excellent scenario. There are some ideas in there that might help with mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eternal
I was going to do a Korea scenario after NATOPact, but now I'm wondering if I can pull off a horror scen. I think it should be some kind of medieval thing having to do with all kind of spooky things. Of course this would probably call for lots of custom graphics, and I don't know if I'm up to the task. I'll think about this while I'm waiting for Max Payne to arrive (after that I'll be doing less thinkin and more killin).
I'd say to go for it, because frankly, it sounds more interesting than a scenario about Korea (the fact that I watch M*A*S*H every day nonwithstanding ), and there aren't enough horror-type scenarios out there, which is one of the reasons that I am making a Resident Evil scen.
Old August 4, 2001, 00:22   #9
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Thanks Thoth!
I thought it was a great idea to add some classic Pink Floyd as the tide of Communism advanced.
Old August 4, 2001, 01:28   #10
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 20:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth
You can create an event that will play these sounds at random. (As Kobayashi did with the Star Wars theme music in "SW: Insurrection". )
Is anyone actually playing my scenario - I have abosulutely zero feedback posts since I released it?
Old August 4, 2001, 17:32   #11
Thoth
King

Local Time: 08:01
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

Is anyone actually playing my scenario - I have abosulutely zero feedback posts since I released it?
I'm working my way through my first game. I've noticed a few minor bugs, I'll email you the details (and fixes if you like) once I've finished the game.