no 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2, 2001, 05:25   #1
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Time Limits?
no.If someone gets booted,its imperative the game stop immediately.Not to mention lag...yes it exists for us poor people
Old August 2, 2001, 08:20   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 07:01
Agreed. With lag, it's unfair for people with slower connections. Sometimes emergencies come up during a game. If we find a person that is traditionaly real slow, we will try to avoid playing with them.

And if a person drops, we try hard to make sure they are not penalized. Sometimes we don't succeed, but that is the goal.

RAH
Old August 2, 2001, 08:43   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

During a 4 to 6 hour gaming period, stuff will come up. The phone will ring, the kids want something, you have to go to the bathroom...
We always play no time limit, but people still move as quick as they can. And as Rah says, if somebody gets a reputation as being a slow player, they don't find themselves invited to join many more games
Old August 2, 2001, 10:06   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

If I'm playing with people new to me, I want a time limit until I know they don't work cities on clock.

Lost connections bring an unlimited time limit proposal until the player returns.
Old August 2, 2001, 10:27   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i don't agree with time restrictions either...... unfortunately i seem to drop once a week and cannot rejoin for over a half an hour....and then i get back on....or don't...damm icq most wait a fair amount of time but winning or losing its a waste of time for me and the others...

can anyone tell me why a fatal error causes me so much grief....i reboot and i can't connect....i reboot again..... might be able to connect.....it often means i cannot run icq....making it difficult to connect to the game....and the worst thing is my icq comes up automatically...... and then crashes again...

i will have to fix the settings...... or smash this computer
Old August 2, 2001, 10:38   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Well War4ever... that explains what happened to you Tuesday night. Makeo and I waited around half an hour, and then just continued.
Needless to say, with your lead in the number of cities, plus the old pyramids, you kicked our butt on the power graph.
Old August 2, 2001, 12:13   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

it happened to me in a game last night at the zone with Deity Dude and NoviNomad.... only thing was i couldn't reconnect..... i guess with civ 3 coming out i need a new computer anyways.... hopefully this will alleviate any unwanted crap that i am experiencing these days....*sigh* this sucks
Old August 2, 2001, 13:14   #8
drake
King

Local Time: 08:01
Heh, sounds familiar
I get the blue screen of death while connecting sometimes too war, it's an extremely frustarting ordeal when you're trying to return to a game........

Anyway, I think time limits have their place. It keeps people more aware of what they're doing and prevents them from dilly dallying around. If set at a reasonable level, then lag shouldn't be a problem. I've found that a clock ticking seems to make people play faster.....whether this is fact or not I'm not sure......
Old August 2, 2001, 13:51   #9
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

[QUOTE] Originally posted by War4ever
it happened to me in a game last night at the zone with Deity Dude and NoviNomad.... only thing was i couldn't reconnect /QUOTE]

I saved it if u ever wanna finish it. We waited about 20 mins and figured something happened. We tried zoning you too but you must not have been able to even recieve them. Talk to you later.
Old August 2, 2001, 14:52   #10
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Yeah. It all depends on if you only play with a set group all the time. That is certainly different.

I play many different people, so until I know if they know how to use time, I want a time limit.
Old August 2, 2001, 14:53   #11
War4ever
Emperor

Hey Drake.... ever figure out why it does that

Most of the people i play are very quick...... makes the game tolerable....... otherwise MP can take tooo long

Deity Dude.... i would love to finish the game..... not vintage playing for myself....but lets play it out anyways...good practice for all......
Old August 2, 2001, 18:19   #12
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 22:01
Time limits are only ok if they are extended when requested, and not used to limit another civs moves. This has occured to me so often that I hate Time limits fullstop.

Drake is right, time limits make people more accounbtaable, i have noticed in a number of games that no one complains about the short time limit, but as soon as it is exteneded they naturally use all of the new limit...

For me, I stick to people I know and I trust them to use time as well as they can.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 2, 2001, 20:37   #13
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If I'm playing people I don't know, I like to have the limit.

Can't trust some people.

With people I know, it's not needed.
Old August 2, 2001, 22:10   #14
Caesar the Great
Emperor

LLLLLLLAAAAAAGGGGG!!!!!! I have my dsl modem right next to me but the service won't be up until August 20th......... But no time limits, most people I play with are very considerate about time, and things come up that can take longer than the time between turns. So its best to leave the time off.
Old August 3, 2001, 15:51   #15
War4ever
Emperor

nothing worse than people who play with the one min timer.... talk about paranoid..... i am quick..... i don't need a min , but by 2000bc i might..... makes it difficult when they wont' reset the timer for you...gr.....