Old August 2, 2001, 07:56   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
talking to the AI
After an hour or so of playing and few brewskis I sometimes start talking to the screen. I sure wish there were more responses in some of the diplomatic messages, or that the other factions could somehow hear me muttering at them. If you're anything like me, you end up with things like this:

Watching a sea colony pod from a rival coast up to your border "Don't you dare put that base there, you bastard! Don't do it! Don't do it!" Faction plops sea base right off of your coast
"Dammit! Oh, you're gonna pay for that.....mumble mumble....(sips more beer)

An unwanted scout patrol from another faction pops out right next to one of your bases. "What the hell do [I]you[I] want?"

You ask the other faction to shove off and they say "We shall soon whose territory it is!" "Um, I was pretty certain it was mine seeing how I have about twenty rovers gunning for you."

Rival faction says "Your strength is impressive...pay me x amount of energy credits and I'll call off the vendetta." "HAHAHAHA! Your strength was...nonexistant! How about YOU give me ALL of your energy credits and some of them bases?"

Rival says " Will you give me your research on ****** or do I have to unleash my dreaded hordes or whatever to seize them?" "Yeah, I'm a dope, Yang/ Miriam/Santiago/ETC. Its always smarter to give a person thats already threatened you a BIGGER gun."

AI uses air power to destroy formers in a useless and pointless way "YOU PANZIES! If you're gonna start a war at least have the guts to hit a legitimate target! Here I'll show ya how!" (begin attacking AI's units and bases in the most vicious way possible)

Rival call you an inhuman monster for an atrocity against them "Heehee....if you thought what I did to that base was bad, wait'll I get to the rest...." (start nerve gassing and obliterating bases)
Old August 2, 2001, 16:37   #2
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 07:01
D4: Two things. Play MP games, you can say what you like in diplomacy. Also, you can change these things...all the diplo-talk is in one or two files...can't remember the names off hand. I once looked into changing some things, and was amazed at just how much variety there already is in the game, so left it alone. Not that I disagree. It'd be nice if all of the faction-speak was made part of a nice faction-editing program published with the game. Nonetheless, it is easy to change.

-Smack
Old August 2, 2001, 20:04   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:01
Talking to the AI
I do this all the time. I even talk to the diplomacy window, usually when they're being very unreasonable. You know how when you're in a war with someone, mid- to late game, and they keep calling you and declaring that they will never end the Vendetta unless you give them Unified Field Theory, Advanced Spaceflight, and Homo Superior? Even though they can't hear me, I remind them that they're the one that's getting pounded, not me.

When I attack cities, I usually drop such witty rejoinders as "Time to die" or "Die die die". It's not reasonable, but it releases stress, and you live longer if you do it.
Old August 2, 2001, 20:14   #4
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
The weirdest thing was: I had an enemy, I beat the heck out of him, I wanted him as a submissive, and he kept making demands. So I granted a demand, and he surrendered!
Too much time in the fungus.
Sorry, off topic, but it was called to mind by the discussion of unreasonable AI.
Indra