Old December 5, 2000, 18:49   #1
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
OCC for latecomers
I'm a "returnee" here. I was in at the beginning of the OCC quest, when we weren't sure it was possible, at least at Deity. I remember when 1951 was roundly cheered, and then Paul blew us away with 1775 or so. I was Very Proud of my first OCC win on Deity, and I can still call to mind the layout of the continent, and the aggravating city some irritating ally managed to sneak in on me (had to take it and disband it).

I tried "4whales" when it first came out, and won, though the timing wasn't stellar. Then I put Civ2 aside for a while. So now I tried OCC20, and got my first 19th Century deity OCC win. However, I'd be mildly embarassed to post the log, compared to Paul and Smash, much less to Ribannah's amazing log.

Let's see . . . by now there are 20 Fortnight Comparison games and about five "earlier" comparison games. I've come back to the party quite late, so basically I'm asking which of the exisiting challenges--in your humble experiences--are the most fun or the most interesting, and why.

Old December 6, 2000, 01:44   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
Well I can't remember the numbers but there was one where you start and play in Fundy government.Another good one was where you controlled the barbs in addition to your 1 city civ.Another interesting one featured a completely isolated spot.No early contact was possible.

Who remembers the #s?
Old December 6, 2000, 16:26   #3
SilverDragon

Not me!

------------------
Go Redskins!

Email me at
SilverDragon141@aol.com

Old December 6, 2000, 17:28   #4
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Smash: I have Paul's document which briefly mentions each comparison game up through #16. None mention Fundy govt, but I notice that #12 includes a Fanatic along with the two starting settlers. Seems like a hint to me. For isolation, Polar sounds chilly (#7). Nothing obvious on controlling barbs, unless it's the Rebels civilization (#4).

SD: "Go Redskins" ? Go where, this year? Sheesh, some idiot even stepped in front of the Giants' train (a new approach to "take one for the team") and we couldn't stop 'em. "Hail to the Deadskins!" [Hope springs eternal, and usually falls eternally.]
Old December 6, 2000, 22:38   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
Yes thats the one.Very interesting.You will get the option to switch governments but don't.Just stay Fundy.
Old December 7, 2000, 11:00   #6
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
In OCC#17 you have control over the Barbarians in addition to your own civ. It is played in hotseat mode.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old December 7, 2000, 18:05   #7
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Smash: AH! I'll try it as soon as I wrap up OCCSmash.

Rib(not Adam's): Hotseat? Must require MPG, which I have avoided like the plague. Multi must be an even *worse* time sink...or frustrating when others are not as stupidly stubborn as I. The game sounds interesting, though. Intelligent barbs is a scary thought . . . unless it's MY intelligence, of course (and you can take that either way).
Old December 8, 2000, 01:52   #8
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You don't need MPG to play the barbarian OCC. It also works in 2.42.
Old December 8, 2000, 17:12   #9
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Thanks Paul, I'll try the barb OCC.

And thanks too for the yeoman work in playing, learning, and teaching the nuances of OCC. You have saved me hundreds of hours, so you must have saved the collective users tens of thousands of hours.

If I were to add a signature line, it might be: "Learn from the mistakes of others; you don't have time to make them all yourself."