Old August 2, 2001, 10:40   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarians and Terrorists
Now without getting into any cultural of religious commentary, the barbarians of the ancient period are at the face have similarities to the terrorism of today.

Barbarians and terrorists are both large groups of people who belong to no one nation in particular who bring havok to the nations that they attack. While barbarians had greater numbers and were a much larger threat in comparison to the size of the nations they attacked, would it be a strange idea to evolve barbarians into terrorists in the "modern era" of Civ?

Instead of mongol hoards, every so often a random unit would appear and attack a city (seemingly from nowhere), destroying a few buildings (not units). There would be a chance that the attack would fail. Failure percentage would increase if a police station is in the city. Attacks would be more frequent if you have are the largest civ and have been attacking a nation with a smaller nation with a different culture (assuming that there are different cultures in Civ like Asian vs. Euro, not just the concept of culture in general).

Well probably the idea is too late, but this is a random brainfart I had. If someone's already brought it up, sorry, didn't know.
Old August 2, 2001, 10:44   #2
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Terrorists could simetimes produce Spy units that could do some serious damage to a city (poisoning the drinking water, inciting revolt, even sneaking in a nuke). Wutang!
Old August 2, 2001, 10:54   #3
Sabre2th
King

I've always supported random events in civ. I think this could work out really well if it was implemented. Unfortunately, it's almost certainly too late to add it.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:03   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
No.

Barbarians and terrorists are totally different. You can't have terrorists "evolve" from barbarians.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:13   #5
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
No.

Barbarians and terrorists are totally different. You can't have terrorists "evolve" from barbarians.
I'm not talking about terrorists evolving or changing their attacks or whatever. I'm saying that the ancient barbarian armies that exist in the early game don't make sense in the "modern era" of the game, so why not keep the concept of actual attacking units and make them terrorists, not just some random popup windo random event. Make it a visible, physical occurance. Decrease happiness, as people feel unsafe and demand more police stations and military units.

In Civ2, barbarians would popup even as you're launching the spaceship. That doesn't occur. The mindworms were the barbarians of SMAC and they happened throughout the game. I think that the Civ series deserves some random attacking units who don't belong to any particular nation, maybe even an oppressed cultures rebel army demanding freedom like the KLA (depending on your point of view they can be terrorists o freedom fighters).

Civ3 needs some late game opponent who is not attached to any enemy civ. Terroism is one idea, although now that I think about it, I like the oppressed culture rebel army idea even better
Old August 2, 2001, 11:50   #6
Sabre2th
King

It's not completely accurate, no, but it does make more sense in the time frame. Either way, it's probably not going to happen in civ3, so we don't need to worry.
Old August 2, 2001, 16:51   #7
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
I've recently brought up something similar here:http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=23257

I think it could be really nice to tie terrorist "barbarians" up with culture: non assimilated cities would be likely to cause terrorist units or guerillas.
Old August 3, 2001, 00:43   #8
Miatezhnyi
Settler

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

In Civ2, barbarians would popup even as you're launching the spaceship. That doesn't occur. The mindworms were the barbarians of SMAC and they happened throughout the game. I think that the Civ series deserves some random attacking units who don't belong to any particular nation, maybe even an oppressed cultures rebel army demanding freedom like the KLA (depending on your point of view they can be terrorists o freedom fighters).

Civ3 needs some late game opponent who is not attached to any enemy civ. Terroism is one idea, although now that I think about it, I like the oppressed culture rebel army idea even better
1. Doesn't Civ2 already do that. If I remember correctly in later time periods the barbarian hordes that would pop up were refered to as peasant revolts in the text window.

2. Why not both. Terrorist as sabateours and rebellious peasants.