Old August 2, 2001, 13:07   #1
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You'll buy it, and you know it!
I think it's crazy seeing so many of you argue about details of the game you know nothing about. I get bored reading some of the silly rehash many of you spew back and forth, but it is sometimes funny .

But I have a theory:

The very ones that spit so much venom, are going to be the very ones who simply can-not resist stopping by the Civ III game in the electronics store, look at the box, read the advertising, and say, "Oh, h**l, I've got to see just what they did to Civ." You're going to be the first ones to by the game and make posts about it on Apolyton!

As for me . . .

Will the game have everything I want? mmmm . . . probably not, but I will love discovering all the little new things they added to the game they never told us about. I will thoroughly enjoy working through all the new strategies. I will go bonkers pouring over the manual, charts, and other game material.

Will there be some disappointments? Oh, I'm sure. But I also know that it will be an exciting gaming experience for a long time to come. With the editor I will be able to tweak the game the way I think it should be . . . for the most part.

It won't be perfect, but it sure will be fun.

You'll buy it, and you know it!

Oh, and I'll have fun playing the game with my wife. Yes, I'm one of the lucky b******s who has a spouse who loves Civ as much or more than me!
Old August 2, 2001, 13:26   #2
tniem
King

You are quite correct in your assessment.

I am one of those that have been pessimistic at times and have 'spit venom.' Yet, I will not preorder the game because I want to get it as soon as I can and it usually takes a couple extra days to ship the game. So yes I will be one of those rushing to get the game.

By the way Colonel, how you enjoying this hot weather? My hometown is Grand Rapids, also.
Old August 2, 2001, 13:31   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Even though I'm an optimist, even if I were a Yin I'd buy the game the day it hits shelves.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 2, 2001, 13:32   #4
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
You are quite correct in your assessment.

By the way Colonel, how you enjoying this hot weather? My hometown is Grand Rapids, also.
Thanks for the reply tniem!

Well, I normally wouldn't mind this weather, but I just moved into a new home and they don't have the central air hooked up yet! So, it's been miserable, especially for my more than 8 months pregnant wife!

That's neat you live in Grand Rapids as well, tniem. We'll definitely have to hook up for a local modem-to-modem Civ III game when it comes out.

Last edited by Colonel Kraken; August 2, 2001 at 13:41.
Old August 2, 2001, 13:43   #5
Cookie Monster
King

I agree with you too Colonel

I've never complained about any of the Civ games, doesn't matter what company put them out. I've enjoyed everything from Civ I to CTP2.

I'll probably call in sick the day the game hits the stores because you know you'll not be able to think of anything except this game!
Old August 2, 2001, 13:45   #6
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
I never bought Civ II; I played my brother's copy for about an hour, and that was the end of that. It is very possible that I will not buy Civ III either.
Old August 2, 2001, 15:12   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:02
I will be the first one down at Best Buy the day of Civ3's release, if it's on a weekend when the game is released. If it's on a weekday, I'll immediately go to Best Buy after school is out. I'll be ready to spew over my $50 for Civ3. I can't hardly wait until the day I will be going 'awesome', 'how cool', and 'dang'. Things like that.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 2, 2001, 15:16   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

mines already pre-ordered and on overnight delivery.

my only regret is that i ordered before the limited edition was "invented".
Old August 2, 2001, 15:49   #9
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Despite my gripes about the less-than stellar graphics, I will buy it - though not for the listed $50-60. It will go on sale at Best Buy or CompUSA eventually...There are some features that really hold potential for good gameplay.

Great town Grand Rapids MI - I went to college up there (Calvin), and if I had the choice, I would probably move back there.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 2, 2001, 16:05   #10
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Great town Grand Rapids MI - I went to college up there (Calvin), and if I had the choice, I would probably move back there.
Ah yes, Calvin. I live just down the street from the campus. And while I love this town, I had to get a few miles away from GR while I am at college during the school year. Down the road at Hope College, heard of it hexagonian?
Old August 2, 2001, 16:31   #11
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

NCAA Div 3 Basketball Championships
Calvin - 2
Hope - 0

Yeah I've heard of it.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 2, 2001, 16:39   #12
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Despite my gripes about the less-than stellar graphics, I will buy it - though not for the listed $50-60. It will go on sale at Best Buy or CompUSA eventually...There are some features that really hold potential for good gameplay.
I agree, I'll be waiting for a sale, at least $10 will drop off the initial and pre-purchase price after a month or two
Old August 2, 2001, 17:36   #13
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by technophile
I never bought Civ II; I played my brother's copy for about an hour, and that was the end of that. It is very possible that I will not buy Civ III either.
Now, technophile, you know that I didn't mean my question for people like you. You're not a REAL civer.

. . . just kidding . . .
Old August 2, 2001, 18:02   #14
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Wow, looks like a lot of Grand Rapids fans. That's cool

I went to U of M, myself.
Old August 2, 2001, 18:15   #15
SerapisIV
King

I'm at UofM now, last year of grad school
Old August 2, 2001, 21:21   #16
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
I am cautiously awaiting Civ III. However, no matter how I try to play it cool, I know I will make my way to a local software store and casually place a hold on it. Since I am there at the counter and since I had conveniently gone to the bank before and with-drew enough money to purchace Civ III, I may as well purchase it before hand. After going home I will, as almost an afterthought, check the official, store, and this site to see If Civ III has been released.

After release has been confirmed I will call the store that I placed my order (after all, I do not want them to take time out of their busy day to phone me.. i am a conciderate sort) and make a request to meander to the retailer and pick up my game.

As you can see, I am in complete control of my desire for CivIII, I will purchase the game because it is convient and I will... this post should illustrate that.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization