Old December 7, 2000, 14:37   #1
Jim W
Warlord

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Pushed into a new and unusual strategy

In my most recent game, I find myself at the tip of a largish island, able to support about six cities.

Now, those of you who know me from previous posts know that I'm a generally peaceable man, not given to conquest, and preferring to win the game by getting to AC first.

Here, however, the Sioux set up their first city just about where I would have set up my second. Without triremes and no way to expand overseas, I was forced to fight the Sioux, conquering two cities and destroying another smaller one. I suspect I'm going to have to get rid of the last Sioux city as well, just to prevent them doing the various nasty things to me.

At which point, I can try to set up an island republic consisting of seven cities, find a bit of stuff on other islands, and head off to Alpha Centauri.

Unfortunately, I'm now already at 140 AD, just about to research invention, and I'm not sure how badly the Great Island War has thrown off my surge for the stars.

Fun to find out, though.

Jim W

Old December 7, 2000, 17:54   #2
Dissident Aggressor

not too big a deal. even if they build apollo. just make sure you have high prod cities and plenty of cash. steal what you need. oh and I forgot to mention the almight caravans.

interesting scenario. I have found myself in a similar situation early. But I always either conquer or expand to get 20 cities for the industrial age.
[This message has been edited by Dissident Aggressor (edited December 07, 2000).]

Old December 7, 2000, 18:15   #3
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:47
Sure! They *all* say they were forced into war.

<<
I suspect I'm going to have to get rid of the last Sioux city as well, just to prevent them doing the various nasty things to me.
>>

Just remember: "Do unto others before they do unto you!"

Beyond that, 7 cities can be plenty for a semi-perfectionist road to the stars...but you may have to do unto some others to keep them from getting there first.
Old December 7, 2000, 20:12   #4
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 15:47
Yes "undo" some others cities so they can set more reasonable goals for themselves

Or stick with the 7 cities and see if you can beat them anyways.
Old December 7, 2000, 21:44   #5
Mercantile
Settler

lol Crustacian, yes try winning with only seven, definitely test your micromanagement skills, especially if you don't "terrorize" the other nations with your "scientific ways"
Old December 7, 2000, 22:30   #6
Jim W
Warlord

I've now got Gunpowder, just about finishing up King Richard's Crusade, after which I will build Leo's. The Sioux are no more.

I have dealt with two invasions, plus three barbarian incursions. Once I have enough muskets to go around, I will be able to tackle pretty near anything that comes my way. Particularly since I will be constantly upgrading my military while I work at producing a Mercantile Empire based on my island.

(Actually, I plan to be a Republic soon, But Mercantile Republic doesn't sound as good. ( ))

Jim W
Old December 7, 2000, 23:47   #7
Mercantile
Settler

Well done Jim. Some of the wonders really are key in repelling attacks, especially if your not a warmonger. Do you still only have seven cities? I agree, Mercantilian doesnt' have that familliar ring to it, still, imagine a traders govt in civ3
Keep us posted!
Old December 8, 2000, 06:33   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Jim - when I saw the thread title I thought, "Jim, winning?" - sorry couldn't resist

Seriously - well done - with every route overseas you will find the trade profits relatively very high, but you will need a largish navy to protect your ship chain and the ship chain to expedite those freights will be needed - so I would put Magellan's high on your shopping list - keep us posted, good luck and well done so far...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old December 10, 2000, 01:13   #9
Jim W
Warlord

Unfortunately, I forgot that nasty bit about cities going into Civil Unrest. Having to haul troops out of various cities to fight the various wars, I suddenly found myself with two to three cities a round going crazy, and without the requisite building power to build up to a point where I could reliably prevent that.

Finally called it quits at about 1858, when there was no longer time to build my spaceship before game's end.

And I actually _have_ won several games too! Just that the ones I talk about on the list have some particular quirk to them.

Jim W