Old August 5, 2001, 09:48   #31
Tubok
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
map
as for the Map.... I suggest we use computer generated "random" maps (that we can make our preferred settings to). I don't think we should use any maps that a player has made, or submits, as that could give that player an advantage of knowing the terrain. As for Unity Survey On, I agree. The lane masses are shaded out, so the main advantage is that you can tell the difference between land and water. That'll just help speed up game play a bit. On the subject of planet size, don't really matter to me. but, if you want to maximize turns and so forth, just remember the larger the planet size, the long the game takes. But again, to me....size don't matter.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	artbox18.gif
Views:	43
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1572  
Old August 5, 2001, 11:07   #32
EtheMind
Warlord

Local Time: 14:03
Since the the file is now distributed in this very thread. I see no problem of using some other map if it fits our purposes. The balance is essential. That's one reason for huge map with enough land mass and some continents. Random generator doesn't make enough many continents. So, usually players end up on isolated islands which tends to unbalance game for some factions...it's also boring if you ask me. I like continents...
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old August 5, 2001, 11:15   #33
SITS
King

Local Time: 12:03
I agree. The map was designed by someone else to make good for building an empire. It also has the landmarks evenly round the map. If we are going to have the map on anyways (I don't have a problem with that now as it isn't what I thought it was) then playing a map that has already been set shouldn't really be a problem.

The mod (if we are having one) can try and make sure we all have equalish positions.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 5, 2001, 11:25   #34
Qantaga
King

I do agree with EtheMind and SITS. One nice thing about DiDad's Ultimate Builder Map is that he worked a long time to balance the starting positions to make them fair.

A random map can literally place your HQ 5-6 tiles from another faction's HQ. I have even seen random maps with 3 faction's starting locales within a dozen tiles of each other.

On the turn order, ouch! did a nice job, although I might suggest switching Tubok and myself in the order. It sounds like Tubok has a specific time to check e-mail, whereas I can check continuously. So, if Tubok goes before me, the odds are higher that the turn from across the sea will be there when he checks, then I will be able to get it anytime after Tubok has played.
Old August 6, 2001, 06:42   #35
EtheMind
Warlord

Just keeping thread alive

I tested the map. It's fine, you should all have it, just for the fun. Whether we are going to play it or not. And...are we going to play that map?

I sent a PM to Lord...whoever and hope we get that 7th place fixed so I can send some final settings for you to look over. And then get the game started.
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old August 6, 2001, 17:59   #36
Tubok
Chieftain

Map
I also have looked at the map. It looks good and obviously a lot of time was spent putting it together. If everybody wants to use that map, I have no prob with that. Everybody would need to D/L the map if we're going to use it...correct?
Old August 7, 2001, 09:11   #37
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

OK
Mh...yes, i think i can play as Lal...When do we start?
Old August 7, 2001, 10:24   #38
SITS
King

I don't think everybody has to down load the map - it becomes part of the save file.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 8, 2001, 15:08   #39
EtheMind
Warlord

Players are as follows

1. EtheMind as University
2. ouch! as Drones
3. SITS as Spartans
4. Qantaga as Angels
5. Tubok as Gaians
6. vomitus as Hive
7. Lord_Icewind as Peacekeepers

DilithumDads Ultimate Builders Map
Standard Rules
(unity pod scattering)
no early communication

There are settings we've discussed and agreed. You can hassle with the turn order if you think it can benefit the game.

Just a wild guess...if the random map which only the admin randomizes works on every comp. I guess it might suggest that map is indeed in the save file as suggested by SITS ...though my logic is hardly famous because of its accuracy

If you agree these settings, we can get the game going ASAP. I'm going to give you some influence over victory conditions. I know I'm again making a point in favor of many other factions. But I've heard absurd claims that Trancend victory is little too easy way to go in MP...in SP, it certainly is.
Old August 8, 2001, 17:22   #40
SITS
King

I suggest that I follow Qantaga as I do in two other games and it seems to work fairly well.

Old August 8, 2001, 19:44   #41
Tubok
Chieftain

game
the rules as they stand are ok with me. As for turns.. I don't care how it's done...as long as I get my turn and I know who to send the turn to afterwards. As for the ways to win.... don't have much of an opinion...so why not just leave that at the default setting?
Old August 12, 2001, 04:32   #42
EtheMind
Warlord

Since the issue didn't spawned more of discussion I'm going to set the game up with these settings shortly and post a new thread for the game of course. You will all be notified via email. See you on Chiron.
Old August 12, 2001, 04:42   #43
EtheMind
Warlord

Well...Since not everyone of you seem to be contempt with publishing your email in profile. You need to send your address to me via post, PM, email, ICQ or by any other mean, ASAP. Thank you.
Old August 12, 2001, 11:34   #44
Tubok
Chieftain

email address
you got my email right Ethemind? I double checked and it's listed in my profile. Looking forward to the game, as the other one we were in seems to have "stalled".
Old August 12, 2001, 14:04   #45
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

My Email is dmon007@yahoo.com
hope we get started soon!
Old August 12, 2001, 23:30   #46
ouch!
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:03
my email: gasdd@yahoo.com.au

Hey Tubok its meant to be your turn in our 2-player game. Did you get the last turn? I'll resend the last turn I played anyhow. If you don't get it reply here or something.
Old August 13, 2001, 04:10   #47
EtheMind
Warlord

Thanks. I hope vomitus is still with us. I have his email, but I want to make sure it's the rigth one. I sent him a PM, so we'll find out shortly and start the game as soons as possible.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:29   #48
Tubok
Chieftain

2-player turn
I just now got the turn. I haven't got anything since last time I sent you a turn (ouch_2116.zip). I've been checking my email often. No idea what happen. But I'll be taking the turn now and sending it to you.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:03   #49
EtheMind
Warlord

While waiting confirmation from vomitus...you as admin Tubok, would have some idea why our current 6player PBEM is "stalled"? Would you?
Old August 14, 2001, 18:41   #50
Tubok
Chieftain

stalled game
I have no idea. All I do is send out the turn after I take mine. I'd also mentioned, when we started the game, that when "anybody" sends out a turn to the next person, to also send out the same email to "everybody" so we would know "where" the turn/game is at. IF everybody is doing that, then everybody has the same info as I do. I'm just waiting for whoever's turn it is...to send it out to the next person. IF a person is going to be "delayed" in taking their turn, they should make arrangements to let us know.... and to have "somebody" take their turn for them.
Old August 14, 2001, 19:43   #51
ouch!
Chieftain

check here:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=23354

That is where I've been posting my turns (some others have as well). Its alot better than email because the thread is in order, much easier than trying to look for old emails.

I think it is black sunrise's turn, unless vomitus didn't get the last turn I sent, but they both had problems at the same time, so maybe the turn got lost somewhere.
Old August 14, 2001, 23:16   #52
EtheMind
Warlord

Since vomitus hasn't replied here, then I guess he's not paying lot of attention to internet rigth now. vomitus had some problems with his internet connection but they should be fixed now, according to him. But he hasn't replied my PM.

I guess we'll wait a day or two for vomitus and after that I just seek out the next person who wants to join and start this game. Thanks for your patience, these PBEM arrangements can get rough
Old August 15, 2001, 05:30   #53
ouch!
Chieftain

vomitus is alive, his email is:
vomitusLASDKSDFJfsdfsd@mutantworld.com
(take out the junk after "vomitus")

I sent him an email today and he replied, so I don't think there are any problems, just start the game already .

Since vomitus doesn't post on the forum much, I don't think private messages are a good way to contact him.
Old August 15, 2001, 11:59   #54
EtheMind
Warlord

That's nice.
Take out the junk after vomitus? What the hell is that junk doing there anyway?

Well...OK, since I now have his email I shall make us...a game. You will be informed by email when this takes place. I will also start new thread with yet indetermined headline, but I'll send you nice comfortable link to follow along with copy of game rules and settings.

See you on Chiron(this time I'm serious about this)