Old August 3, 2001, 15:11   #1
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
One more stupid City Wall Idea
I don't think I've seen any discussion on this before so I'll thow it out there for discussion.

Sometimes an attack on a city with walls is very successful for the simple fact that the enemy gets the main gates open through the use of a battering ram or betrayal, or the city is just surprised and the gates don't get a chance to be closed.

Some may say that a diplo destroying the wall is the same thing, but it's not, because when the battle is done, the wall should still be there. Also a dip can't destroy a wall generated by the great wall.

Now this may sound trivial, but after looking at all the other threads, this is not any worse.

What do you think, and how would you implement it?

RAH
Old August 3, 2001, 15:33   #2
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
If attacking/defending units are able to be given different orders (as described in the Combat section of the List; for example, a unit could Blitz and move into the square that it attacked without using any additional movement, or a unit could Devastate and gain a defense bonus but at the same time cause damage to the city/terrain improvements on the square that it is occupying, etc.) then units could be given an order to direct their attack against a city wall. Success would mean that the gate is damaged/destroyed, making the wall useless until it can be repaired (the cost of doing so would be fairly cheap). The attacking unit would suffer damage as though it were attacking a unit inside the city, but the defending unit would suffer no damage.

Additionally, there would be a chance that the gates are open when a hostile army first arrives, making the walls useless until there have been no hostile armies adjacent to the city for one full turn. The gates will always be closed if the hostile army has movement 1, there will be a 10% chance that they are left open if the hostile army has movement 2, and there will be a 25% chance that they are left open if the hostile army has movement 3. The chance doubles if the hostile army has Blitzed. If there is a battle within the city radius (for example, if a hostile army attacks a friendly unit that is two squares from the city) then there is no chance that the gates will be open (unless the hostile army has Blitzed) until there have been no hostile armies within the city radius for 2 full turns.

Diplomats/spies could be given an "open gates" command. Success would mean that the city walls are useless until there are no hostile armies adjacent to the city for one full turn. This command would be expensive (would involve the diplomat/spy bribing the necessary officials inside the city); the cost would increase for each defending unit within the city (triple effect for defending spies/diplomats) and for every Happy citizen, and the price would dramatically decrease for every Unhappy citizen. The price would automatically drop by 90% for a city experiencing civil unrest.

A city experiencing civil unrest would have a cumulative 5% chance of opening the gates for every turn that the unrest continues. This cumulative chance does not reset until there have been no hostile armies adjacent to the city for one full turn (so a city that experiences unrest on turn X will have a 5% chance of opening the gates; if the unrest ends on turn X+1 then the chance is 0%, but if the city then experiences unrest on turn X+2 then the chance is 10%).

I hope that they put something like this in Civ III!
Old August 3, 2001, 15:54   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 07:04
Gee, all I was expecting was a one liner from Ras saying he though it was a good idea, and did anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks tech.
I expect they'll be adding this one in at the first opportunity.

RAH
More proof that we really need for this game to come out soon.
Old August 3, 2001, 16:21   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

We ought to start a new List!
Old August 4, 2001, 01:59   #5
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 12:04
In CTP, wasn't there a chance, after every battle, that the city walls were destroyed and would need to be rebuilt? This seems to make sense.
Old August 4, 2001, 08:06   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Chronus
In CTP, wasn't there a chance, after every battle, that the city walls were destroyed and would need to be rebuilt? This seems to make sense.
I think not. But in Civ 3, I'll like some random buildings to be destroyed. Note that the MedPack for CtP II makes some buildings randomly destroyed, when you take a city.
Old August 4, 2001, 09:10   #7
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 22:04
perhaps adding another option to diplomats/spies to bribe the gatekeepers.. rather than trying to destroy the walls alltogether as they do now. A bribe to open gates would mean the walls were still there later....

Hows that rah or does this still not count !!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 4, 2001, 11:15   #8
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
perhaps adding another option to diplomats/spies to bribe the gatekeepers.. rather than trying to destroy the walls alltogether as they do now. A bribe to open gates would mean the walls were still there later....

Hows that rah or does this still not count !!!!
Or maybe a Trojan Horse feature....