Old August 4, 2001, 06:04   #1
Vytae
Warlord

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Athlon and the SMAC
I recently splurged my last paycheck,and got some hefty upgrades (aww hell,basicly a new comp!) which included a 1.2 gig athlon and a ****load of ddr ram. Now when playing SMAC i have a huge problem. Its to fast,you heard me,TOO FAST. It takes me about half a second to scroll the entire standard sized map,im talking greased lighting here,and everything moves like that. Not only is it disoreintating but its diffacult to play like that. Anyone know if theres a way to slow down the game speed in SMAC? i dont want to diddle with my chip to slow it down because it makes all my other games oh so silky smooth,oh very very smooooth,did i mention silky smooth?
Old August 5, 2001, 11:41   #2
KMadeleine
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 08:06
I don't know how to slow down the game speed overall, but you can stop the scrolling nightmare by changing the preference of 'scroll when mouse hits edge of screen' or however it is worded. That way, it doesn't automatically scroll, you have to click on the mouse to recenter the map. I think there's another preference for fast enemy moves, but they may have been only Civ2 and not SMAC.

I get quite seasick playing certain computer games, so I can certainly understand where you're coming from. We currently have my 1 gig Athlon running at 750 for heating issues, and it's smooth and not too fast, I love it. But you probably play other games that I can't play because of seasickness [anything like Quake, Tribes, Black and White, forget it].
Old August 5, 2001, 12:24   #3
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:06
I have both a PII laptop and a PIV desktop. The difference in speed is enormous. However, once you get used to the faster computer, it is a real pain to play the game on the slower one.

As to seeing what is going on, you can set the pieces to move slow, I beleive. You may also want to play on much larger maps. This slows things down just a bit.

Ned