Old December 11, 2000, 06:52   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 19:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Is this a player cheat?
I checked the thread in the Great Library, and this one isn't mentioned; I'm wondering what you all think.

I recently discovered, quite by accident, that there's a way to get around the rule against selling two city improvements from the same city in the same turn. I assume many of you already know about this, but for those who don't, here's how it works. Let's say you have 20 cities: cities 1-19 all have the same improvements; city 20 has everything in 1-19 except, say, a port facility. If you go into any city to sell the port facility, you will be given the option to sell all your port facilities; let's say you take this option. Now city 20, not having a port facility, wouldn't have sold anything yet, so you can then, on the same turn, go into city 20 and sell something else -- say, its airport; but you will then be given the option to sell all your airports. Do so, and cities 1-19 will have sold two city improvements on the same turn.

Seems like a cheat to me; opinions?

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
Old December 11, 2000, 09:31   #2
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:48
I would say that, yes, this is a cheat. I'm not quite sure what your describing, though.

You get an option to sell all your airports? Is this "all at once" or do you go back through each city one at a time?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 11, 2000, 10:01   #3
Rufus T. Firefly
King

It's all of them. Whenever you go to sell an impovement, you get three choices (this is from memory, but I'm sure the sense is correct if not the exact phrasing):
1) Sell this city's ____
2) Sell all cities' _____s
3) Forget it

So if you go into a city where you haven't sold anything and select option #2, you can sell all the improvements in question, including those in cities that have already sold something that turn.
Old December 11, 2000, 10:18   #4
Tizzy
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
I've never seen that - I only get "Sell it" or "Forget it", no option to sell all improvements of that type.

Do you have any modifications at all?
Old December 11, 2000, 10:29   #5
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I've never heard of that or seen it. I have MGE 1.3 What version do you have?
Old December 11, 2000, 10:46   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I think it's ToT - I have seen this option - yes guys you are right it is not abailable in v2.42 & MP1.3, but it is in one of CtP or ToT (I think the latter - I have both at home, but play them seldom - hence my uncertainty)

P.S. added in Edit - yes - I just checked - Rufus T. states on another thread that he plays ToT..... case closed.

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old December 11, 2000, 14:33   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Don't play ToT, but it smells like a cheat. I can't imagine, except in the end game, where the choice would have much value. Why would you build X for each of 19 or 20 cities, then sell them all in one turn, other than to sustain high happiness late in the game.
Old December 11, 2000, 16:20   #8
Mercantile
Settler

actually in my duel last night with Caesar, i sold 10 temples to complete Mikes Chapel while he had a boat and a dip outside my capital. I moved my piddly two warriors on the river and fortified and moved my dip and horse onto tundra and fortified as well. The surrounding terrain around Mercantile (my cap) was defensive so to speak and this way i rush built the wonder and prevented sabatoge in the same way. Now had that trireme attacked my warriors or horse i was screwed , but i took a chance and it worked. I am notorious for selling temples at any point in the game if i need to rush build something of importance
[This message has been edited by Mercantile (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old December 11, 2000, 18:17   #9
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 18:48
No, this is not on 2.42 or MGE, but the ability to sell all of a certain improvement throughout all cities sounds like a good idea. However, it could also be dangerous. One slip up and you could sell all of your cathedrals that are holding your delicate democracy together!

"Why didn't I rush build Mike's!!!"
[This message has been edited by Bohlen (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old December 11, 2000, 21:48   #10
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Exactly, make a mistake with that choice once and you'll wish it didn't exist. Maybe useful as an option in a menu, but not everytime you sell something.
Old December 12, 2000, 02:30   #11
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Apologies for not mentioning it was ToT...

quote:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer on 12-11-2000 01:33 PM
I can't imagine, except in the end game, where the choice would have much value. Why would you build X for each of 19 or 20 cities, then sell them all in one turn, other than to sustain high happiness late in the game.

It is an endgame strategy, but for points, not happiness; a couple of turns before landing on AC, I tend to go "shopping" for the wonders I didn't get to build and haven't conquered yet. At that point, I feel I can divest myself of anything that doesn't promote happiness -- grainaries, port facilities, etc. If I had to endure the tedium of selling them city by city, I probably wouldn't bother.

It's also a strategy for getting cash to rush-build a wonder I want; many has been the time that "sell all colosseums" has been clicked in order to beat the AI to Adam Smith's (having already built Mike's Chapel, of course).

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder

[This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old December 12, 2000, 17:17   #12
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 18:48
I've wished for this option a time or two...

Mainly if I am playing a military expansion strategy. If you capture several cities and then realize that you are paying support for cathedrals even though you have Mike's or granaries even though you already built the Pyrimids, it would be really nice if you could just find 1 and then sell them all. Usually I try to sell any extra city advances when I capture the city but with the ability to only sell 1 per turn, it can be easy to forget where you left a stray unneeded building (...now where did I put that granary, I know I had it around here somewhere).

Another time would be if you weren't the first to build Mike's, etc but then captured it later. Instead of having to go to each city to sell xyz, you just pick one and sell them all...

Speaking of which, an even better option would be to click on caths in the advisor screen and then sell them all...

...more random thoughts from a roaming maniac...
Old December 12, 2000, 17:56   #13
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

I like Albert B.'s reasoning. Sell what you no longer need or acquired by conquest without walking through 150 cities.

At the end, I sell off stuff so I can keep luxeries high while paying for still retained improvements and rush builds. That was what I meant about "sustaining happiness." The option would be useful there.
Old December 12, 2000, 22:10   #14
lord of the mark
Deity

I have TOT and have always assumed that this was a universal Civ2 feature. Well, at last a good thing about TOT!!!! I often use the sell all of improvement X button, when i get a wonder for example. However i have never used it to get sell two improvements in one city - im rarely in that big a rush to sell improvements, unless i have an undefendable city. And if i did (have an undefendable city) selling off all one improvement would seem an extreme way to deal with he situation.
Old December 15, 2000, 22:30   #15
SilverDragon

I found another way in CiC to do it. I am not sure how it worked, but I managed to sell 6-7 improvements from each city as the Soviets in ww79.

------------------
Go Redskins!

Email me at
SilverDragon141@aol.com