Old August 5, 2001, 03:01   #1
belinda9
Warlord

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Presidential Residence
"Hakeem!"

The rotund gentleman with the bushy black mustache came striding into the room where Hakeem sat amongst the large pillows. Heavy tapestries over the open archways made the roomily gloomily dim, even though the sun baked the outside courtyards. Hakeem put down his pipe and stood up to greet the newcomer.

"Senator Ari" They embraced " the news is not good, I am afraid. Madame Tuwanda has not regained consciousness and the doctors fear she will not live through the night."

Ari wrung his hands. "This is the worst possible timing! We have an uneasy peace at best and only Tuwanda has been able to keep the Senate focused into any kind of unity! If she dies..."

"Yes, united in a effort to keep her from embroiling us in conflict with the Euroeans even as she talks peace! Was it not only through OUR efforts that we are at peace with Europe?"

"In that case, yes, Hakeem, but it is Tuwanda who has always spoken for us with Jula Kamma, and to good effect so far! and consider...if Tuwanda dies, YOU, as Majority leader, become president until the election can be organized. Do you not see the sabre-rattling from the Zulus? How do you intend to juggle peace between Israeli and Zulu if it comes to that? The Israelis are our ally; even after all that brouhaha the zealots there tried to make over who had and who had not converted! Under the terms of alliance, we would be honor-bound to fight the Zulus in defense of Israel! Hakeem, we don't really want to do that, do we?"

"We will have to see what comes, Ari. We will call the Senate to session when we know....about Tuwanda. She is old, Ari. I am afraid she will not be able to fight off this infection. I am concerned about certain factions in the Senate if we no longer have the mediating influence of Madame Tuwanda. You know the AfricanNational party has been stirring things up amongst the populace along the Nile and southern coast. Those are the people, Ari, who do not want to see a Zulu/Mali conflict. They gained three more seats in the last election, as you recall, and they have done nothing but agitate since then! They shot down your budget proposals because you wanted to pull money from the defense budget!"

Ari bridled. "To put towards education! Malis must keep up with the rest of world in technology; how are we to do that if we pour all our resources to the military? I can't believe they actually managed to swing enogh votes from our own party!"

"Precisely my point, Ari. We must ride rein on these hothead AfricanNationals. Come, sit and wait with me. We will share a pipe and pray for Madame Tuwanda. May Allah have mercy on her"
"Even if she was a lousy Muslim." Ari mumbled under his breath.
Old August 6, 2001, 08:50   #2
drake
King

Local Time: 08:07
Accidentally hit "new thread" instead of "response"? Yeah, I did that once too

Nice little story though
Old August 6, 2001, 15:18   #3
belinda9
Warlord

Local Time: 06:07