View Poll Results: How many animated leaders per Civilization?
1 is good enough for me, get the game out soon! 12 30.00%
2 at least, come on! Male and female, please! 19 47.50%
Lots! Like the Victoria? Elizabeth I dilemma! Bring on Henry VIII too! 7 17.50%
None!!! I don't like animation! It confuses me! 2 5.00%
I'm confused! Put me under "other." 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6, 2001, 02:05   #1
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Number of Animated Leaders per Civilization
How many animated leaders should be with each civilization in CivIII?
Old August 6, 2001, 04:50   #2
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 13:10
Well, I voted for a couple (male/female) for every Civ, but I know it's not an easy task finding two for every Civ included.

I realize that the 16 standard leaders are already defined, as I know the new standard reply from Firaxis will be "we are making a good editor, so many fan mod makers can do it by themselves"...

Well, give us the game coding as Open Source and I bet someone out there can also do any game enhancement Firaxis can't/won't do
Old August 6, 2001, 04:52   #3
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 14:10
1. get it out!
admiral, welcome back from ferragosto
Old August 6, 2001, 05:09   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
admiral, welcome back from ferragosto
Thanks sir! (on a side note, I should note that Ferragosto in Italy is only the day of august, 15th - one of our national holidays )

Well, mine is more a "half return", because I'm waiting official site publishing before questioned more about game supposed good/bad points. I lurked some of the posts appeared during my vacation and I noted a very angry wind against the group of "not really happy" people out here. Better wait best times...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old August 6, 2001, 05:27   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:10
I voted for one because I don't really care too much about the animations of leaders. If 2 leaders is possible without slowing down the game creation process than great but if not 1 is good enough. Since it will slow down the process I guess it's 1 for me.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 6, 2001, 06:06   #6
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:10
I think there should be more than two - in Civ2 most of the leaders seem to be from ancient/medieval times. For each civ there should be more modern leaders (like Winston Churchill or Thatcher, for example).

Just my two penneth.
Old August 6, 2001, 10:15   #7
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
If you have both a male and female animation then you run the risk of many online relationships beginning between deluded teenagers who mistakenly believe that if somebody uses a female animation in a MP game then they must be a female. It happens in EverQuest, it could happen in Civ III...
Old August 6, 2001, 10:56   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
I think there should be more than two - in Civ2 most of the leaders seem to be from ancient/medieval times. For each civ there should be more modern leaders (like Winston Churchill or Thatcher, for example).
If Thatcher was in, I would end up making it my crusade to invade the English and make sure she is killed

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 6, 2001, 10:58   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

Scenario:

Maggie's union-busting tactics alienate the Northlands. Disgruntled miners rebel! The sout has the tech edge, but you can't beat the north for production.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 6, 2001, 11:29   #10
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by technophile
If you have both a male and female animation then you run the risk of many online relationships beginning between deluded teenagers who mistakenly believe that if somebody uses a female animation in a MP game then they must be a female.
Well, don't try to start a relationship with me, don't bother if I'll chose a male or female leader: I'm already happy married and father of two
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old August 6, 2001, 11:38   #11
Dugrik
Call to Power PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

None.

It's because of these silly Max Headroom clones that we're only getting sixteen civs in the first place. I'd rather have more civs than any talking heads.
Old August 6, 2001, 13:40   #12
Sabre2th
King

I'm surprised at the weight people are giving this. People complain that Firaxis is taking too long, but continuously ask for more, better graphics and options. Firaxis cannot possibly get the game out in a reasonable amount of time if they try to please everyone. Having two leaders (or more) doesn't affect the game AT ALL, it's just another pretty picture to look at. If Firaxis already included two for each, I'll shut up, but I don't think that's the case. I also hope that if/when I'm right (), people will keep their complaining to a minimum. Firaxis is working very hard and does not deserve the criticism they are getting, especially not because of something as minor as this.
Old August 6, 2001, 13:51   #13
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Add-on pack?
I agree with Sabre2th. Something like this might be appropriate for an add-on pack, though.
Old August 7, 2001, 15:57   #14
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

If those talking heads are to represent the leaders there should be as much as there are leaders(and i hope that there are more than 2 for each civ with of course an specific way of gameplay attached to the leader)

Shade
Old August 7, 2001, 16:01   #15
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:10
Well, with all the time spent on talking-leaders, how about talking advisors. They're supposedly just as animated, so I hope they talk too.
Old August 7, 2001, 16:08   #16
shade
King

and give some good advice(in the spirit of an improved AI)

Shade
Old August 7, 2001, 16:57   #17
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

1 Male/ 1 Female.

It's only fair

They could also have 1 Male advisor and 1 Female advisor for every cabinet post
Old August 8, 2001, 01:34   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
I'm surprised at the weight people are giving this. People complain that Firaxis is taking too long, but continuously ask for more, better graphics and options. Firaxis cannot possibly get the game out in a reasonable amount of time if they try to please everyone.

Sabre2th, if you read my firs post at this poll, you can see
Quote:
I realize that the 16 standard leaders are already defined
Firaxis already declared that 16 civ is the limit because of the great effort required making animated and unique units, animate leaders, etc.

technophile,
Quote:
I agree with Sabre2th. Something like this might be appropriate for an add-on pack, though
I don't think they should make more money selling to us an overpriced expansion box ala SMACX.
I'm for the commercial practice of free bonus by web sites / magazine free CD, gaining money from the sustained sells of the original Civ III box.
I mean, if casual players will look at a very well supported and refreshed game, they'll be more happy to buy and give it a try.

Good sells of original game can sustain lot of support and free add-on, IMHO. But I'm afraid Firaxis will pass on it; look again the Jeff inteview for Apolyton I'm not sure about the depth of their support:
Quote:
Apolyton: What are your plans for the after-release support? Some felt that SMAC needed one more patch...
Jeff Morris: We're very proud of the Civ III editors and since these are tools for consumers, we have big plans for allowing these serious mod developers to achieve their goals. This will include dialogues with those developers who have a proven track record or a promising idea, updates to the editors based on ease of use and functionality, and improving the methods of distributing and playing these scenarios.
- Admiral Naismith
Old August 8, 2001, 15:37   #19
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
a male and a female one would be fine
Old August 8, 2001, 16:37   #20
JellyDonut
Prince

One leader per civ! If the customisation is as good as they say it is, you will be able to add your own leader animations. I would like to see a "Tyrants of History" add-on with all the worst leaders of every civ they wouldnt put in the regular game like Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Hirohito, Dubya, Mao Zedong -- whoops!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 8, 2001, 16:49   #21
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
I don't think they should make more money selling to us an overpriced expansion box ala SMACX.
I agree; I didn't necessarily think that the expansion pack would be released by Firaxis.
Old August 8, 2001, 16:54   #22
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
One Male and One Female per Civilization. After all why should a female player have to settle for a male leader and vise-versa? It is only fair....
Old August 8, 2001, 19:59   #23
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Slightly off topic, but I wouldn't call Hirohito one of the worst leaders ever. He was Japanese emperor till his death in 1988, and was essentially just a formal figurehead. The real villain was the militaristic leader, Tojo Hideki, who was tried and executed in 1948 for war crimes.

Though some of the blame may rest on the emperor, I feel it is unfair to blame a figurehead for the real leader's actions.
I see that King Victor Emmanuel III is not listed on your villain list, though he was King of Italy during Mussolini's fascist regime.

But a despot expansion would be interesting.

Germany - Adolf Hitler
France - Napoleon (or Charles DeGaulle )
Rome - Caligula or Nero or Domitian... there's so many!
Russia (USSR) - Stalin or Lenin
USA - Any president no one likes, maybe Richard Nixon, though I think the international version should have George W. (can anyone say Kyoto?)
Spain - Philip II, if he's not in already... ??? (or Franco)
England - Henry VIII
India - Akbar? Tamerlane? One of the Moguls?

It might also be a good idea for Firaxis to resurrect the "portrait" idea. If you read the CivII manual, it talks about the portrait button that lets you pick which portrait will represent you. Sadly, this was not in the actual game, though adding a few extra animated leaders to choose from, say if you DON'T want to be Elizabeth I (or female) for that matter.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 8, 2001, 20:00   #24
Alexander I
staff

Babylon - Saddam Hussein!
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 9, 2001, 06:32   #25
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
England - Henry VIII
Surely Thatcher is a better example of a British dictator?

ALL HAIL LADY THATCHER! EMPRESS OF BRITAIN!
Old August 9, 2001, 07:41   #26
shade
King

Wasn't it said that "Thatcher was the only man in the English senate"?
I guess she was really feared.

Shade