Old August 6, 2001, 03:03   #1
wysrealm1
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help w/ Patch
Hello. I am new to the forums and this community. I am a long time civ fan, with experience in civ, civII, ctp, and most recently ctpII. My problem with Call to Power II is that I cannot apply the 1.1 patch, and thus cannot use Apolyton's Pack. This is the error message I recieve upon trying to patch the game:

"Unable to verify the location of Call to Power 2 on your system. Click OK to exit the installer."

I have reinstalled off the cd several times to no avail. I have tried changing the install directory and still nothing. I emailed Activision support and they were unhelpful. I am hoping somebody here knows something, as I am eager to patch and install Apolyton pack and get playing .

Thanks
Old August 6, 2001, 08:32   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:10
That's a problem of this patch installer it searches for CTP2 installation destination, if you changed the CTP2 folder after CTP2 installation, the installer can't find CTP2. It could also be a problem if you deinstalled CTP2 and reinstalled it to a different directory. So make shure that you remove every file from your hard disk concerning the default CTP2 installation, except modified files (I would move them to a different directory, if that would be my own creations) and the savegames but you can't use them with the Apolyton Pack anyway. So make shure every other file created by the game is removed.

Another possibility would be that your windows is not a AE or BE language version but this problem occurs only if you use really patch 1.1 and not patch 1.11.

The last possibility that I can think of is that you are using a cracked version of the game. But you mentioned the CTP2 CD so I think is less probable that you use a cracked version.

-Martin
Old August 6, 2001, 21:45   #3
wysrealm1
Settler

Thanks for the reply Martin. I did what you said and removed every CTP2 file off my computer and reinstalled the game from CD to its default directory. It still gave me the same error message. I emailed Activision again last night and I got a reply. They told me they are aware of the problem but are not planning on any fixes at this time.

So basically I am stuck with the crappy unmodded version of this game unless someone else has any ideas. Sigh

If anyone else has any ideas pls help !
Old August 7, 2001, 19:50   #4
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:10
Hey, Martin cant we just make an unnoficial v1.11 patch. Using the same files from the official one. That way it would work with everybody. After all, looks like everything made by activision is bugged.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 7, 2001, 22:42   #5
wysrealm1
Settler

Oh man that would be cool . Then I could actually play the game with all the great enhancements of the Apolyton pack!! Martin is what Pendrunn posted possible?
Old August 8, 2001, 04:58   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

What to do for an unofficial version of CTP2 v1.1. At first you have to install the patch properly on a blanc CTP2. The files from version1.0 are from 1-11-2000 and the files of v.1.1 are from 6-12-2000. I saw two files from between. These files can be found in ..\ctp2_data\default\gamadata\, ..\ctp2_data\english\gamadata\ and ..\ctp2_data\"your-language"\uidata\layouts\.
I did not find any modified file in my ..\ctp2_data\german\gamadata\, instaed of this I got an english folder. So the patch works for all languages probably. And now the last file the improtant file is the ctp2.exe itsself. Without the ctp.exe you can't play any mods. And final put every of theese files into a *.zip file and it is done.

The result will be that owners of a cracked version will be able to install the patch properly. But this is the problem of Activision, and OK if Activion is not able to diliver a product this is worth its price afterwards.

-Martin
Old August 8, 2001, 06:10   #7
Pedrunn
King

You are right about the Activision problem but the truth is that isnt only the cracked versions bus some official ones too. And those official ones wants to play the mods. Activision has to accept it since it is a problem they create. And everybody knows that they forget all about CTP2.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 8, 2001, 12:29   #8
wysrealm1
Settler

Well, couple weeks ago I bought Call to Power 2 for $35 US. I was all excited, downloaded the patch and all the mods I could find, then found out I cant patch. Activision would not help, and thus that is why I asked if what Pedrunn stated was possible.
Old August 8, 2001, 15:27   #9
Pedrunn
King

i'm sending the original one to the trash (í'm not going to delete it though) and creating blank folder but every time i load it a message appears saying that i already have the patch installed. How come? if my files are in the trash. The patch can find it there?

PS: There is no way i am going to completely delete my CTP2. The changes i made in it are valuables.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 9, 2001, 17:26   #10
MaglevMan
Settler

i too have the same problem, except with a different patch. My patch doesnt come up with an error message it just doesnt work, someone help .
Old August 10, 2001, 00:16   #11
Pedrunn
King

I'm not getting a error message. I'm just trying to make possible to other people play
And doesnt seems you have a problem either. Your patch is installed and may not notice nothing since most of the changes of the patch are dificult to see. Are you getting any error message or something? Just download the mods and see what happens.

Martin did you really got the patch files. I may want you to send them by e-mail.
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 10, 2001 at 00:22.
Old August 10, 2001, 00:47   #12
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 22:10
To tell if patch is installed, at the first menu screen (where you click New Game) in the bottom right corner will be the numbers v1.1. If it doesn't have those numbers, you're running unpatched.
Old August 10, 2001, 06:57   #13
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Of course I have the patch files I made a *.zip file that contains every file of the patch. I put every file with the patch date into that *.zip and it is now available at http://www.mydocsonline.com/ until the August 18th.

Login is MartinG

Password is Omega

Except the patch you will only find stuff there that can be found on my webside, too or on your computer. After August 18th http://www.mydocsonline.com/ will be with costs for all users. As I don't want to pay for it my account will be deleted including all remaining files on August 18th. So I have to find another place when my homepage is full again.

The patch.zip has no readme.txt. But you can it unzip in your default CTP2 directory. But I would unzip it into a temporary directory at first. To check each single file.

I only found certain language files for the English version on my system. For the number in the bottom right corner you should take a look into the spnewgame.ldl. There you will find the version string and you can make a CTP2 version 5.7 or something like this.

-Martin
Old August 10, 2001, 09:43   #14
Pedrunn
King

We thank you for that Martin.
-Jean Rostand