Old December 17, 2000, 15:28   #1
Kitana
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What is your favourite color to play?
In the spirit of the "Who do you kill first?" question what color do you like to play. Generally I play green (Japanese) and for a change from time to time I will play blue (Vikings). What about the rest of you?

------------------
Kitana
Shogun of the Japanese
Old December 17, 2000, 15:35   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:48
I mostlyplay as the Russians (white),and I'll customize them to the Ukrainians. This has been my way for years. Only after comming to Apolyton did I realize the advantages of the white Civs.
Old December 17, 2000, 15:45   #3
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
I have always enjoyed playing as the Germans, although i do modify some of the city names to make them correct. So I guess i am partial to the dark blue, even though they hold no real advantage, unlike the slight advantage the white civ gets.
Old December 18, 2000, 04:07   #4
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Cyan - Americans or Chinese.

The reason for this is that cyan nations get more starting techs than others, according to Scouse Gits research. Now, the Americans or Chinese are the only two civilized cyan nations. Civilized nations get alphabet more often as a starting tech than others. Alphabet is needed for monarchy.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001522.html?43
Old December 18, 2000, 08:52   #5
kcbob
King

For some reason, I'm attracted to Yellow, the Aztecs. I do vary from time to time with White being my least favorite color.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 18, 2000, 09:55   #6
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 18:48
I play as the Americans more than any other civ, mostly because of being from here but I try to choose different civs just for the fun of it. I've never considered choosing a civ based on any advantage/disadvantage I might get.

Albert
Old December 18, 2000, 10:02   #7
drake
King

The Anchor men to any event- Purple.........

------------------
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Old December 18, 2000, 10:36   #8
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Albert B on 12-18-2000 08:55 AMI've never considered choosing a civ based on any advantage/disadvantage I might get.

Albert

In conjunction with this comment and Drake's, I will sometimes play purple merely to eliminate the AI civs under that color. I hate the Mongols and Sioux and the Indians aren't far behind.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 18, 2000, 11:07   #9
Tizzy
Warlord

I don't have a favourite colour to play, but I only ever play one of the same 4 Civs - Celts, Americans, Carthaginians or Souix.
I've never played as a yellow, green or blue Civ.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:36   #10
Rufus T. Firefly
King

I tend to play as one of five civs: the Persians because I'm currently living in part of the old Persian empire (Turkey); the Americans and the English because I can keep the names of their cities straight (this is why I never play as the Aztecs); and the Romans and the Sioux so I can take either the whites or the purples out of the game.

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
Old December 18, 2000, 12:49   #11
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I used to always play as the americans. For something new I'm trying to win with each civ once just for the heck of it. I've still got a few to go.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:49   #12
Bohlen
Prince

Blue. I like to play as the Germans the most, but lately have been shutting my eyes, holding the down cursor, then hitting Enter just to see who I get.

I just recently played as the French for probably the first time. I like to play blue, but not the French. They would be #1 on my most hated civ list. They just always seem to give me a hard time.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:51   #13
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

All civs are great.
I never play with one of them twice in a row.
BTW have you tried the scenario called Rome that goes with the game (at least with mine)?
The 7 civs start with the corresponding "historical" WoW's. No other WoW is then available. Hence, no premade strategy works. You must do your best with what the civ you have chosen has got. IMO good training and great fun.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:57   #14
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly on 12-18-2000 11:36 AM...the Americans and the English because I can keep the names of their cities straight (this is why I never play as the Aztecs);

As I mentioned above, I do like to play as the Aztecs. And I must confess that I do end up pronouncing about half of their cities as "Kaopectate".

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 18, 2000, 14:05   #15
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Light Blue tends to get the best deal for free techs at the beginning of the game, and the location pick is still good.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old December 18, 2000, 16:33   #16
Mercantile
Settler

so there is no confusion, i restart all games until i get no tech, just like MP
Old December 18, 2000, 16:55   #17
Bohlen
Prince

Merc:
Love the hat idea. I'll have to try that myself. Sounds like you REALLY get into your role...a lot like me.

Receiving additional techs at the start doesn't necessarily mean that you have an advantage. I look at those games as a challenge as well, because it usually means I have poor land around me and/or there is a civ nearby that is potentially dangerous.
[This message has been edited by Bohlen (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old December 18, 2000, 17:44   #18
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

In SP, always took white. Just too lazy to change it.

In MP, Always try to take green. Still 2nd for land selection, so you're usually on or near a river, but it still allows me a few seconds to respond to barb moves (unlike white). Early in the game this can make a difference. Losing one of your first three cities to barbs makes a BIG difference in your exponential expansion. After the first 2500 years, it doesn't make much difference.

RAH
Old December 18, 2000, 20:13   #19
Mercantile
Settler

Bohlen.... Yes the hat is great!!!!! However everyone who knows me thinks i am a freak Oh well. This is one of the reasons i wish to get into a diplogame. I feel this would further enhance my roll playing. I wrote a story based on one of my civ 2 games, about 65 pages or so. I had spent the last month or so on it. I have been quite sick and taken some time off work. However, the game became no fun as it was against the lowly ai and i soon had him under wraps. Not too mention, it was tedious. However , i would take notes in a diplogame to make the story telling better. Anyways back to the hat, for me it's perfect based on the tribe i choose. I am sure you could put on a robe if you play as the Romans

I agree with the starting tech stuff. However i try to simulate my ai games as i would against humans and this is why i play without tech. Besides if a civ is close by, it just means they will perish quicker.

Rah, i agree. If you lose one of your first five cities, you can really be in a heap of trouble. However that said, i seem to remember a certain ferret, who despite his poor start was reasonably close to me by sessions end There is no doubt in my mind that you are the most resourcefull and crafty of all the civvers i have played. I generally learn something from playing you each time, such as , don't count your chickens before they have hatched
[This message has been edited by Mercantile (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old December 19, 2000, 01:19   #20
Mercantile
Settler

Well i like to play as the Chinese which i customize to the Traders.
Firstly, i like their city style the best, yes i know the japanese have the same but thats not the point.
Secondly for my rollplaying, as i do this every game, i purchased an asian hat, made of wicker that you see in all the war movies. Its huge and keeps the sun off my head while i think . Seriously though, without sounding un PC, i am not sure what you call these hats, i call them rice hats someone please correct me before i offend everyone who is asian.
We are a peacefull nation, and the light blue (cayan) color seems to best represent that nature of my play
Old December 19, 2000, 05:35   #21
rixxe
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Bohlen on 12-18-2000 11:49 AM
I just recently played as the French for probably the first time. I like to play blue, but not the French. They would be #1 on my most hated civ list. They just always seem to give me a hard time.

Yeah, I always select my opponents, and the french (i play with the english) is the first I destroy , wherever he's!!! It's a kind of motivation to start the game...I usually allow a french city to survive (paris, if there's no wonder in it) and when im reaching the end of the game, i launch a nuclear on it...i usually feel better after that....
Old December 19, 2000, 11:55   #22
Bohlen
Prince

LOL! That's great! There ARE some more truly evil people in the world. I know the French should not cause me any more trouble than, say...the Mongols, but they do.

It's interesting that sometimes, especially in MP games, the civ you choose somehow relates to how it existed in real history. Sometimes you'll have the English and Americans vs. the Germans and Japanese, or whatever real life rivalry existed. And it's just by chance. Go figure!
Old December 19, 2000, 15:36   #23
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
Been there.....done that.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum1/HTML/001364.html

I haven't checked the vote in a long time. Maybe I should go and update it. Everyone go and vote. I think I set it up so you can pick your favorite 5!!!!!

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
I AM CANADIAN!
Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old December 19, 2000, 23:20   #24
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

In olden days I only played the blue civs and customized them every time to "The Arcadians." Now, however, I play the purple side in order to eliminate the huge treasury surplusses that the purples always seem to have as AIs.

Of Sylvania,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old December 20, 2000, 02:09   #25
Like2frolick
Chieftain

Anything but white. Cause it's hard to see my hundreds of cities if they're all that pukey whitish color...
Old December 20, 2000, 07:06   #26
Rufus T. Firefly
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-18-2000 11:57 AM
As I mentioned above, I do like to play as the Aztecs. And I must confess that I do end up pronouncing about half of their cities as "Kaopectate".

Laughing out loud, kcbob! Given the large number of cities that begin with T's and contain h's, and l's, I always end up calling all of their cities "Tallahassee." Except, of course, for "Texaco."

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
Old December 20, 2000, 08:36   #27
Tizzy
Warlord

That's why I NEVER play the Aztecs.
I like cities with distinct names, so I can find them easily!
Old December 20, 2000, 08:51   #28
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly on 12-20-2000 06:06 AM
Laughing out loud, kcbob! Given the large number of cities that begin with T's and contain h's, and l's, I always end up calling all of their cities "Tallahassee." Except, of course, for "Texaco."

LOL! I hadn't looked for a "Texaco" but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 20, 2000, 11:59   #29
Kitana
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by CornMaster on 12-19-2000 02:36 PM
Been there.....done that.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum1/HTML/001364.html

I haven't checked the vote in a long time. Maybe I should go and update it. Everyone go and vote. I think I set it up so you can pick your favorite 5!!!!!

I'll have to check it out... Haven't been here for some time so I didn't know the question had been asked. Oh well, Japanese are still my favourite .
Old December 24, 2000, 19:30   #30
Maelhavok
Settler

For purly cosmetic reasons, I always play Yellow. I find that it is much easier to see than any other color on any zoom. I would like to be red though. I modified the rules.txt so my custom civ replaces the Aztecs. Montezuma wasn't exactly remembered as a great empire builder, and those names are a jaw-cracker.
I agree with the French general about the rome.scn, it is a good fight. I change the parameters of the scenario though.
I only play SP and I have started tweaking all games at 4000 an make a .scn , removing the goody boxes and equalizing terrain so enemy doesn't have retarded growth starting in horrible spot.
Man this game is FUN.

Maelhavok