View Poll Results: Does Civ3 really exist?
Nope, Firaxis are mean and cruel. 20 58.82%
Yes, good old Firaxis would never do this to us 13 38.24%
What do I care? 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7, 2001, 06:36   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Does Civ3 exist?
Are Firaxis playing a huge joke on us, getting kicks from seeing us despair at the lack of real news?

I reckon that Firaxis and some game reviewers websites are laughing at us right now...
Old August 7, 2001, 06:41   #2
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Oh yeah, we'll all be laughing when they reveal that one.

*does web search for Firaxis's address, so he knows where to send the parcel bomb to*

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 7, 2001, 06:47   #3
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
yeah, wouldn't it all be a very funny joke.

What will be even funnier is when we run through the streets towards Hunt Valley with pitchforks and flammable liquids etc.
Old August 7, 2001, 06:49   #4
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 14:11
hm
i just realized that i might go for a business trip to baltimore in december. if the game is not out by then i hereby solemnly pledge to ransack their headquarters.
Old August 7, 2001, 07:00   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Re: Does Civ3 exist?
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
I reckon that Firaxis and some game reviewers websites are laughing at us right now...
I thought I was the only one with this little conspiracy theory. They show up now and then to keep us waiting and waiting, and when the website opens (in 24th August ) it'll just say that this all is a hoax! *shivers*
Attached Images:

Old August 7, 2001, 10:14   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:11
Yup, Civ3 is a hoax. It's all part of the Majestic conspiracy game from EA. First they invented Infogrames to pretend that they don't own all video game production that Microsoft hasn't bought out and then they conspired with the video game magazines and Sid to pull everyone into their new interactive game by making the public hysteria around Civ3 part of their "real world" conspiracy. Bastard game companies. Always messing with our heads.
Old August 7, 2001, 10:31   #7
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I'd like to know whose idea this actually was

anyway, CIV 3 will come. It won't be as I want it to be, but there's still a chance someoen makes CIV4
Old August 7, 2001, 12:43   #8
splangy
Prince

no, no, your all wrong!! there gona hype it, release a website that says things like "if you want you can play with half a million people at once with a map 250,000 time bigger than civ 2's giga map, with no lag!!" and "the military advisor is so smart that he can come up with tactical plans youve never thought of" and last but not least "the AI is so good it can beat you on any level, except the new "peasent" level"

then they release a the game in a nice shiny package at 69.99, you take it home, it takes three hours to d/l then when we start it it just has to stick figures laughing at us then we look deeper in the box and it comes with a loaded gun . i can just see the headlines.

2,000,000 people commit mass suicide whille playing civ3. 50,000 people march over the countryside pillaging towards hunt valley, while another 50,000 are commited to mental institutions.

what if.......
Old August 7, 2001, 12:47   #9
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

LOL nice one there
Old August 8, 2001, 00:10   #10
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
so this is where all the OT spammers have gone to!

I can imagine the chaos here if it all turns out to be a hoax
Old August 8, 2001, 00:22   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:11
IMO, this Thread is just plain silly!

Quick! The Apolytoner crowd is getting restless! I believe it is time for Firaxis to throw us another "bone" of CIV3 info to gnaw on!
Old August 8, 2001, 00:52   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:11
Wow, that WOULD be funny, though.

"Hey, Firaxis was going out of business anyway, so we thought 'What the hell, those gaming bastards.' Most of the staff will be gone and a few core talent will help form a new company, Fir(m)axis, a company dedicated to working off the coat-tails of Maxis. Fir(m)axis will be a Sim-Golf-only developer. Look for such great titles as:

'Sim Golf Wars,' a humorous golf excusion to the deserts in search of sinking a hole in one down a burning oil shaft!

'Sim Swingers' Golf Club,' like the nude Sim House Party but nude golfing. Simple but a sure sell. Brings new meaning to the term: 'Golf Bag'

'Sim Golf Handicappers,' a funny look at what would happen to golf players if they were all suddenly put in wheelchairs or on crutches. A bit like Mechwarrior but...golf.

'Sim Marcia Goes Sim Golfing,' a chilling look at a woman who hates her life, perhaps BECAUSE of golf. Can you save her and her children from Green Madness?

'Redneck Sim Golf Hunter,' a hilarious 'what if' look at what would happen if those guys who pick up golf balls at the driving ranges finally went nuts and started shooting. FORE!"

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 8, 2001, 03:06   #13
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Wow, that WOULD be funny, though.

"Hey, Firaxis was going out of business anyway, so we thought 'What the hell, those gaming bastards.' Most of the staff will be gone and a few core talent will help form a new company, Fir(m)axis, a company dedicated to working off the coat-tails of Maxis. Fir(m)axis will be a Sim-Golf-only developer. Look for such great titles as:

'Sim Golf Wars,' a humorous golf excusion to the deserts in search of sinking a hole in one down a burning oil shaft!

'Sim Swingers' Golf Club,' like the nude Sim House Party but nude golfing. Simple but a sure sell. Brings new meaning to the term: 'Golf Bag'

'Sim Golf Handicappers,' a funny look at what would happen to golf players if they were all suddenly put in wheelchairs or on crutches. A bit like Mechwarrior but...golf.

'Sim Marcia Goes Sim Golfing,' a chilling look at a woman who hates her life, perhaps BECAUSE of golf. Can you save her and her children from Green Madness?

'Redneck Sim Golf Hunter,' a hilarious 'what if' look at what would happen if those guys who pick up golf balls at the driving ranges finally went nuts and started shooting. FORE!"
hehe,

you forgot the obvius civ-sim-golf

"raise an empire from one putter and a ball, play thru the annals of time, with only you caddy name phil as an allie, fight off other golphers and become the only golpher in the world, or go the more peaceful roote by luanching a merchandise chain to the stars. Using new technologies like, the 'electric shaver' and the deadly '9 iron' you can fight a golphing war that has never been seen before. In your journey you will meet golphing greats like tiger woods or the treacherous O.J. Simson. Build great wonders like 'the super caddy'. This game promises to deliver that certain somthing, unless of course sid mier subscribes to a new magazine"

Old August 8, 2001, 03:37   #14
Adm.Naismith
King

It seems that sun is hitting hard on some head out there!

Wooow! Best hoax ever. Let's start sending e-mail to every friend, collegue, customer, on-line magazine:

Quote:
Warning : News about a fake game Spreading Like Wildfire

Please forward this WARNING to all of your friends.

Apolyton www.apolyton.com, a leading fan site on strategy game, mostly turn based like the well know Civ, Civ II and SMAC series is alerting computer gamers worldwide about a new, rapidly spreading fake Civ sequel, disguisely named Sid Meier's Civilization III.

The NEW Internet Civ III hoax is rapidly spreading across the
Internet. Several hundreds of cases have been reported in just the last few years with more reports pouring in with an astonishing frequency.

"Early propogation reports indicate that this hoax is spreading faster than many of the biggest viruses we saw last year", comments MarkG, Apolyton co-owner with Mr. DanQ.
"It's already seems to be spreading faster than Anna Kournikova and Code Red II".

This particular hoax has been reported succesfuly get plenty of game sites and some paper magazines, too. Common disbelieve get suspended because of Sid Meier's credible track of success used to disguise people around here. A full listing of people that are susceptible to this hoax attack has not yet been released.

"It's more than two years now that we get that hoax, only begin suspecting us when first fake E3 reports start coming. Asking some well know game reporters what news they've got about Civ III at the show they watched us confused, asking "Civ what?", added Yin26, a dedicated fan that was involved so badly he spent months working with many others to a long list of wished features for a game now disappeared as smoke in the wind.

Sid Meier himself, contacted for comment, simply reply: "A Civ sequel? You must be crazy! I was spending time playing golf and designing a new game about golf with my friends at Maxis, since two years now. I've not a clue about any Civ sequel; I HATE sequels, in fact".

Considering the large diffusion of this hoax and its persistence we ask you to help us sending this alert as soon as possible.

Thank You
Hoax warning Sentinel Research Laboratory Technologist
just kidding, of course
Old August 8, 2001, 05:40   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:11
LOL!!!! Oh Lord...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 8, 2001, 12:28   #16
SerapisIV
King

Where'd you get that article Adm.Naismith? I liked it a lot. It was well written.
Old August 9, 2001, 06:46   #17
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:11
A secret e-mail intercepted by Apolyton Intelligence.

Quote:

From sid@youwillallplaygolfandlikeit.com
To bill@microsoftownseverything.net

Hi Bill, it's Sid.

We have the plans all in motion. We shall release Civ3, which, as we both know, is really a secret version of Windows 2001 - SuperBuggy Edition . When we have released the Operating System into the general populace, it will multiply itself in the form of Civ3 patches on the internet.

Once every computer owner on the planet owns Windows 2001/Civ3 (people will believe it to be Civ3 even though it is merely a video and not interactive at all) the bugs and crashes will begin, on a scale not seen since Call to Power!

When all the computers on Earth have been disabled, we can rule the world together! And the only software that will work will be SID MEIRS GOLF GAMES run under Windows 2002 - We Own Your Souls Edition .

Anyway, I'm not sure why I just e-mailed you all our plans when you already know them, but there we are.

Sid
Old August 9, 2001, 07:56   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Where'd you get that article Adm.Naismith? I liked it a lot. It was well written.
Easy task. I visited www.f-secure.com (antivirus company), selected the "know hoax" section, browsed to find one that fits with the joke I had in mind.

Then I cutted some parts and tried to adapt it without ruining all with my mediocre english. It seems at least two enjoyed it.

Thanks, I feel all warm inside, now

Adm. "pessimist with a smile" Naismith
Old August 9, 2001, 08:03   #19
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
A big for red_jon's email message, and

Quote:
I visited www.f-secure.com (antivirus company),
Once again Finnish hi-tech prevails.
Old August 9, 2001, 08:11   #20
Adm.Naismith
King

Just for history, I already mentioned a hint about all this "Civ III hoax" affair, posting:
Quote:
We aren't considering SimGolf gaining a so huge success that Sid simply dismiss the whole boring (for him) civ card game (oops, sorry: that was Dino card game ).

"Think if Apolyton fans waited years for a Civ III and none ever show"
Mine bright anticipation appeared at When do you expect the release of Civ III? poll.

Almost on par with Yin forecast of Civ limited edition with bonus CD, still not on the same level of the anticipated Sid Golf!