Old August 7, 2001, 07:58   #1
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 12:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mods
What have people got? Apolyton, Medmod or Cradle? What is the best?
Old August 7, 2001, 08:15   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:11
Apolyton - If you want to play the regular games with the bugs fixed.

MedMod - Bunch of new things: new units, new concepts, new advances, new govs...

Craddle - Bunch of new things too but for those who like ancient/medieval age. Almost all changes are there. By the way the most aggressive AI.
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 7, 2001 at 08:22.
Old August 7, 2001, 08:26   #3
Pedrunn
King

None!

All the Mods are using modswapper so when you add a mod into you computer it does not overwrite the files. And when you enact the Modswapper the option to choose among the mods you have appear.

I have all thee mods so when enact Modswapper all four choices appear to choose: The Original, MM2, Craddle, or Apolyton

Dont worry about the bugs. The most bugged version of the game is the original one.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 7, 2001, 08:33   #4
Pedrunn
King

What a f@#$%
how did my message appeared first then yours? Am I starting to have psiquic powers to aswer your question before you even ask?
-Jean Rostand
Old August 7, 2001, 08:36   #5
opaque
Warlord

Well the new units, improvements etc. in MedMod look really cool but I am most interested in improving the lame AI. And hopefully using the one with the least bugs. But then I am not bothered about messing with the CTP2 files since I don't play it at the moment so what harm can it do?
Old August 7, 2001, 08:51   #6
Pedrunn
King

It happened again!!!!
This thread is starting to scare me
-Jean Rostand
Old August 7, 2001, 09:35   #7
opaque
Warlord

LOL that is weird!

Thanks for your answer I think I might go and download them all
Old August 7, 2001, 16:17   #8
Pedrunn
King

If you are really going to install them all, remember to install Craddle first and then MM2, because of problem with the warrior unit.
No big deal though. It wont affect much if you do otherwise. Just that you are going to have 2 units with the same sprite in MM2(the warrior and the Zulu Warrior)
-Jean Rostand
Old August 8, 2001, 05:40   #9
opaque
Warlord

Ok so will the second one overwrite the first? So if I install Craddle then MM2 the MM2 warrior will be used?
Old August 8, 2001, 06:04   #10
Pedrunn
King

Thats right and since there is no sprite like the MM2 warrior in the Craddle mod you wont loose a thing. But the Craddle Warrior exists in MedMod named as the Zulu Warrior. So you cant do the other way around or you would have the warrior and the zulu warrior with the same sprite in MM2.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 8, 2001, 12:11   #11
opaque
Warlord

Ok thanks for that advice.
Old August 8, 2001, 14:42   #12
Pedrunn
King

you're welcome and good luck!
-Jean Rostand
Old August 8, 2001, 15:47   #13
opaque
Warlord

On the MyDocsOnline thing, do I need to download "Cradle SLIC options" files as well as "Cradle" files?
Old August 12, 2001, 08:46   #14
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
No, the SLIC options are there if you prefer Diplo 3.6 as opposed to Diplo 3.5 (Diplo 3.6 is the SLIC from MedMod)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 12, 2001, 09:25   #15
opaque
Warlord

So if I download MedMod after Cradle, i'll end up with 3.6 anyway.
Old August 12, 2001, 15:27   #16
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
Diplomod is a SLIC file created by Dale that is in different forms in the Mods. In Cradle, its version 3.5 (which is a more aggressive format) - in MedMod and the ApolytonPack it is 3.6. I prefer 3.5, so I used it as the default for my Mod, but there might be players who prefer 3.6, so I have posted the file so a player can switch them out. However, MedMod's SLIC files are not compatible with Cradle's SLIC files, so if you want to use Diplo 3.6, you have to download my version of it.

Modswapper allows a creator the ability to create his own set of modified txt files that can be stored in the main CTP directory. So, in essence, if you have MedMod, the ApolytonPack and Cradle on your system, each of these mods will have its own set of files in that folder (generally each mod will have a different prefix to its name to distinguish it from the files of another mod). They may be the exact same files from Mod to Mod, but when running CTP though Modswapper, the game will look for the file with the Mod prefix that you are using.

The file conflicts are happening because of the sprite files, which do not have the ability to use the prefix setup that is run through Modswapper. Because each of the Modmakers have been working independantly, these conflicts have arisen (and before Modswapper was created, I was working through the scenario structure, which bypassed this problem altogether). I just recently switched to Modswapper, finally being convinced of the benefits of using that program.

As far as I am aware, there are three conflicts between MedMod and Cradle concerning sprites - 1 is minor and should not affect gameplay - (Aquebusier/Crossbow), one is a slight problem (Warrior/Zulu Warrior) and one is a problem (Droman/Archer). But if you only have my files or Wes' files on your setup, there will not be a problem.

I am working on setting up my files to work with the MedMod files, and should have compatible files up in the next couple of days.

Clear as mud isn't it...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 13, 2001, 04:54   #17
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Apolyton Pack
Just on Apolyton Pack, there will be no conflicts between Apolyton Pack and Cradle or Med Pack II because it's the only MOD pack to fully use the original graphics/sprites.

Clarification of Diplomod as used by the 3 Packs!

The diplomod in use in Apolyton Pack is actually a modified version again. It is slightly different than both the Cradle diplo 3.6 option and the Med Pack II diplo 3.6. This is because all three MODS use diplomacy in different ways.

Cradle being an aggressive early history MOD utilises diplomod 3.5 by standard. This is by far the most aggressive of the diplomod setups due to Cradle making the best out of a bug that actually kept the AI's in a WARMONGER diplomacy setting. Basically, they hate the Human more, declare war frequently and it's harder to keep peace with them.

Med Pack II utilises diplomod in a more ecenomic/scientific mode, whereby the settings for trade and swapping techs etc is more defined. This works well because of the lower gold settings from the terrain, and the more scientific advances and more complex tree required for the Med Pack II.

Apolyton Pack is a more rounded AI whereby it tries to equal out trade versus science versus diplomacy versus combat. Diplomod used in the Apolyton Pack is more defined in that a more equal stance has been defined for AI-Human relations. I believe this is what Activision was aiming for but missed wildly.

The end result is that in a Cradle game you tend to have more conquorer AI's, in Med Pack II you have more trade/science minded AI's, and in Apolyton Pack you have an equal mix of AI's.
Old August 13, 2001, 13:29   #18
opaque
Warlord

Ok, so if I just want the AI to give me a challenging game (which of course Activision's AI fails miserably at ) all I really need is Apolyton Pack? Just a couple of questions (i'm sorry if i'm beginning to sound like an idiot! )

1. I take it I should delete AI Frenzy since it appears to be very out of date and also i'm not sure if it works because I get loads of slic errors when I start a new game.

2. Are the slic errors in Apolyton Pack meant to be ignored, or are they affecting the game? I'm not sure about this because when I make AI scripts for Age of Empires ll if you get a script error the game continues but that rule which had the error is ignored... Sorry once again about all the questions!
Old August 13, 2001, 13:45   #19
opaque
Warlord

Adding to that, if there are conflicts between Cradle and MedMod, but not between Apolyton and those two, I could avoid all conflicts by simply downloading Apolyton (which I have) and one other (which would probably be MedMod since it concentrates on all areas not just medievel times and seems like the best ).
Old August 13, 2001, 14:20   #20
opaque
Warlord

I can't believe it! I just played my first proper game of CTP2 using Apolyton Pack and I was destroyed in 2500 BC!!!!! That's like 50 turns!!! Things I noticed:

1. I got slic errors on launching the game, starting a new game, going to the main menu etc.

2. I got one or two weird in game messages which seemed to involve diplomats. They were things like "sir, the Roman empire was very pleased with our last diplomat conference" and "sir, the Romans welcome our diplomats with open arms"

3. Although someone (Dale or hexagonian I think) said there were no modified sprites in the game, the city sprite looked different for my civ. None of the AI's were unusual though. I was the French in that game.

4. The barbarians walked round my city but didn't attack it once. They fortified, unfortified, killed my settler, but never attacked my city with one hoplite in it!!!

5. I declared war on orange (whoever that was) to see what would happen and they immediately sent archers over to my city and destroyed it and I lost!

6. Every computer player I met (all three of them!) first asked me to leave, then asked for 100 gold exactly like that.

7. The AI was great!!! A nice feeling to be destroyed in CTP and that quickly too! for the mod so far

8. The computer seemed to have a huge advantage over the human to start, thinking about it I did set it on impossible, that was probably why
Old August 13, 2001, 16:16   #21
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
Origially posted by opaque
I got slic errors on launching the game, starting a new game, going to the main menu etc.
I installed the Apolyton Pack and I get no slic error messages. One question: Did you installed the patch? If not you will get several slic errors.

Quote:
Origially posted by opaque
3. Although someone (Dale or hexagonian I think) said there were no modified sprites in the game, the city sprite
There are no modified unit sprites or new units in the Apolyton. There are only new city sprites in the pack that has no effect on the game play it adds only atmosphere and style to the game.

But I have one last question to Dale: The readme mentions that the Apolyton Pack contains a modified tileimp.txt, I also found in version 1.0 a modified tileimp.txt I thought it was one from FixMod, but actual it was one from the MedPack and the Apolyton Pack does not use it. I noticed it as I modified it for my GoodMod that it was not the correct file. So that is the last thing that you should add.

-Martin
Old August 13, 2001, 16:22   #22
opaque
Warlord

Yes I do have Activision's patch. What's wrong with my game? I thought these slic errors were normal.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:45   #23
Dale
Emperor

Opaque:
1. What are the exact SLIC errors? If you get 5 or 6 and they relate to ArmyIsValid, GetStopResearching and the such, then I'd say that the CTP2 patch isn't installed correctly.

2. These are just indications of when the AI chances its diplomatic stance towards you. It'll randonmly swap to a new stance about every 150 turns. That way, an AI doesn't get stuck in one stance for a whole game.

3. City sprites were added to add flair. Thanks Martin.

4. Just lucky I guess. I constantly get attacked by barbs till I can get walls up. Then they ignore my cities and chase my units instead. So I just lead them into a neighbour civ.

5. You musta pissed him off.

7. Thanks.

Martin:
I was looking at using APOL_tileimp.txt for something else, but I couldn't pull it off. So I stopped using the file. However, in v1.02 update (see top thread in this forum) I had to use APOL_tileimp.txt for something else, so it IS needed now.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:11   #24
opaque
Warlord

Ok these are the SLIC errors I get:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_capturecity.slc: 26: No function named DestroyBuilding

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_capturecity.slc: 47: No function named DestroyBuilding

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_diplomod.slc:97: No function named GetPersonalityType

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_diplomod.slc:266 : No function named GetStopResearchingAdvance

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_diplomod.slc:545 : No function named GetAgreementDuration

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_airunit.slc:75: No function named TileHasImprovement

Then I click CTP2 on the desktop and the game carries on as normal.

For MedMod2 I get similar stuff but at the end of it I get an illegal operation and CTP closes. I just sat on the net for 2 hours downloading that as well

Maybe I need to either reinstall the patch or CTP2 altogether?
Old August 13, 2001, 22:12   #25
Dale
Emperor

Opaque:
Those are the SLIC errors you get if
a) you don't have the CTP2 patch installed; or
b) the CTP2 patch hasn't installed correctly.

You'll have to install the patch (or even CTP2 completely again as well) and then install the MODS.
Old August 14, 2001, 06:41   #26
opaque
Warlord

Ok, thanks! I'll go for a full reinstall. I have all the MedMod zip files safe somewhere though i'm not sure where the Apolyton and the CTP2 patch files are. I can always download them again though.
Old August 14, 2001, 08:16   #27
opaque
Warlord

Dale,

Seems like at some point I must have reinstalled CTP2 but forgot to put the patch back on. I downloaded the patch, installed it, and both the Apolyton Pack and MedMod2 worked perfectly with no slic errors. Thank you very much for your help and making such a great mod(s). I think I might finally stop playing Civ 2

BTW, VERY funny when you play a game in Apolyton Pack or original game then load it in MedMod2!!!!