Old December 29, 2000, 16:11   #1
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
defensive terrain for air and water units
This is prompted by Xin Yu's comment in the SAM v. fighter thread. I've developed the impression that it pays to give serious consideration to anything Xin Yu says....

But, as someone already queried therein, is it true that ships and planes gain no benefit from defensive terrain? My interpretation of the manual or Pedia has been that they do get defensive benefits, but I don't think I've ever determined it for sure. Has anyone? Xin Yu, are you sure?
Old December 29, 2000, 20:17   #2
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:48
Planes do get terrain benefit when defending. I'm not sure about ships.

Both planes and ships do not get help from walls/coastal fortress/SAM. Fighters get advantage when defending against air raid. Ships suffer from air raids (enemy fp doubled). Ships also have only fp 1 when attacked in port.
Old December 30, 2000, 08:45   #3
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:48
A quick test leads me to think that ships defending a city DO benefit from terrain bonuses. I put three non-vet, unfortified ironclads in a city on a hill, then attacked with three vet ironclads. Should be an easy win for the attacker without a 2x defense bonus, and a win for the defender with 2x bonus. Defender won all three battles, damaged into red one time, into yellow the other two times.

Although you can fortify ships, it doesn't appear to help them when defending. Further tests may be needed.
Old December 30, 2000, 15:01   #4
Sequoya
Settler

Local Time: 18:48
I am researching the combat system in Civ II (through my own testing and the Apolyton archives) with hopes of posting an exhaustive discussion of it. By my own tests I confirmed that naval units do get the terrain bonus when attacked by ground units. I haven't yet confirmed that they get it when attacked by aerial units or other naval units. "Ships in Port" penalties still apply.
Old December 30, 2000, 16:32   #5
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by Sequoya on 12-30-2000 02:01 PM</font>
I am researching the combat system in Civ II (through my own testing and the Apolyton archives) with hopes of posting an exhaustive discussion of it.

Sequoya,
Would you like to manage a similar thread like my http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum1/HTML/001678.html?7 about diplomats-spies? Read Post2 there, I explain my ideas how it should work. You wouldn't have to make it so ornamented as me...

I am impatient to participate in a thread about combat system, but I think that somebody should start a thread with appropriate subject: I don't want to write here. sorry, debeest

(a propo, debeest, look at your "bribing cities" thread, i hope i solved distance problem)

[This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited December 30, 2000).]