Old August 8, 2001, 16:27   #1
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Triumph to Horsie
As many may recall, Alexander’s Horse campaigned to get cities of the mountains in civ3 and despite all your ridicule he prevailed. Jeff Morris just confirmed that there won’t be mountain-top cities in civ3.

Congratulations Horsie.

And I supported him back then you know.

*elbows himself through the crowd for a place in the spotlights*
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 8, 2001, 16:41   #2
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 13:14
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
I'm not sure we should congratulate him. Instead of cities, there will be colonies on mountaintops. WTH!

And, of course, the way the civ3 tree looks we should now call him Alexander's Wheel
Old August 8, 2001, 16:55   #3
Colon™
Emperor

Sure Horsie deserves congrats, the poor chap took a lot of abuse and his battered self-confidence needs a boost.

I think he ought to quote Jeff in his signature...
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 8, 2001, 16:56   #4
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

a late victory....

will the discussion star again?

well, it's been 18 months ago, high time for a new dig-out
Old August 8, 2001, 17:04   #5
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 12:14
Odd, I suddenly have the strange feeling that colonies will be the equivalent of the depots in railroad tycoon. A small site that can be used for collecting and ferrying resources.

Well, AH got his wish, now what's in store for the stats fans?

Gimme gimme gimme!...
Old August 8, 2001, 17:12   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:14
Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
Odd, I suddenly have the strange feeling that colonies will be the equivalent of the depots in railroad tycoon. A small site that can be used for collecting and ferrying resources.
Never played the game, how did depots work? Were they a good feature or unbalanced like supply crawlers in SMAC (as the AI never used them correctly)?
Old August 8, 2001, 17:21   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
methinks that CapTVK meant the railway stations in it, where you would pick up the resources you'd ferry. They didn't have population (oh really ) just the goods to transport. So maybe a colony wouldn't have pop and not grow but it could extract resources from, maybe three squares? And maybe it could be able to extract from more squares with technology or such.
Old August 8, 2001, 17:27   #8
Ecthy
Emperor

well, if that is how those stations work, then you can possibly compare them to colonies...

check out http://www.firaxis.com/civ3

here you choose "Game Update" from the menu at the top and they'll show you a tutorial on colonies.... it's done in a nice way, watch it!
Old August 8, 2001, 17:37   #9
Colon™
Emperor

Yes, it's about time they release something about statistics
In RRT depots were stations with a radius of just one tile, you could store goods there to transfer them elsewhere but they also extracted whatever industry and towns within that radius, but I’m not sure how that’s connected to colonies... and even less I’m sure how that’s connected to mountain-top cities and Horsie... you bunch of big evil threadhijackers!

Hero Horsie, come quick before they start the umpteenth debate about the road graphics.
Old August 8, 2001, 17:50   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

As the sun is rising down under. AH is waking up to a day of triumph. Little did he know that one of his typical trolling threads would be in the ultimate in pleasure.

RAH
While the rest of us get sick in anticipation of the gloating that will presently follow.

Whatever that smiley means.
Old August 8, 2001, 17:59   #11
Colon™
Emperor

Waiting impatiently for the glorious entry of Horsie
"As the sun is rising down under. AH is waking up to a day of triumph. Little did he know that one of his typical trolling threads would be in the ultimate in pleasure."

I'm not so sure he was trolling... maybe it was just his marvellous intellect or his impressive foresight.

No seriously, I recall that he said some time ago that he got an email from Firaxis stating there wouldn’t be any mountain-top cities, but I’m not sure he was joking back then...
Old August 8, 2001, 18:05   #12
Ecthy
Emperor

Horse is having a stiffy
I think at the moment it represents Horse's physical state
Old August 8, 2001, 18:11   #13
Ecthy
Emperor

why are people posting simultaneously to me?
that smiley, rah
Old August 8, 2001, 18:11   #14
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I was referring to his "it's just a game folks" thread.

He's always been serious about the mountain top issue.

RAH
Old August 8, 2001, 18:13   #15
Ecthy
Emperor

Horse has always been a spammer, that's all
riiight
Old August 8, 2001, 18:17   #16
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:14
Quote:
And maybe it could be able to extract from more squares with technology or such.
This is an idea have brought up in a colonies thread before. Click
here for the link. My quote from that thread, "Another way could be to have colonies create a small border area. An 9 square colony radius. All resources that are in the radius could be distributed to all the cities, if linked to the colony from the resource then to all the cities.".

I think this would add a lot more importance to colonies. Maybe with certain techs the colony could keep on increasing it's radius until it reached it's max of 9squares.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 8, 2001, 18:19   #17
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well Horsieboy should be coming online at any time now, it is his time of day. And God help anyone who strays into the path of his ego

I suppose from a gaming point of view, it is silly to build cities on top of mountains as there is bugger all food up there to live off. Although some major cities are built way up mountains, look at La Paz for example. I think it is good that you can have colonies up there though, eminently sensible

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 8, 2001, 18:24   #18
Colon™
Emperor

Begone threadjackers so that Horsie can bask in his glory
Techwings gave a really nice link leading to an awesome thread, maybe you guys can continue this silly-silly-because-not-related-to-Horsie colonies-debate over there?
Old August 8, 2001, 18:26   #19
Ecthy
Emperor

bah. you seem to be the only threadjacker here

Rich, LA PAz is not really built on a mountain... it's one of many examples from the original thread so.... have a look there
Old August 8, 2001, 18:30   #20
Provost Harrison
Deity

It is built high up in the Andes (not you ) and mountain certainly fits the definition, in a civ sense, of where it resides. It certainly isn't flat grasslands or plains, a dense jungle or gently rolling hills. So that is why I would state it as a 'mountain' city. And what about Lhasa or Kathmandu?

But still, this discussion should be reserved for another thread...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 8, 2001, 18:34   #21
Colon™
Emperor

Yes yes someone give a link to the mountain-top city threads and give way to Horsie!
Shouldn't The Man be at work by now? That's from where he usually posts isn't it? (so clever, why post at home of you can do it at work )
Old August 8, 2001, 18:36   #22
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, I have always noticed he tends to come online at about 11pm my time, so he should be around by now.

And why not at work? Why waste your own time when you can waste someone else's

Old August 8, 2001, 18:37   #23
Ecthy
Emperor

Rich, every aspect of that whole thing has been discussed already

it's so much fun, just like you copy AH's points from that thread
Old August 8, 2001, 19:02   #24
ancient
Prince

err how stupid...
Old August 8, 2001, 22:21   #25
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:14
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
err how stupid...
Of course
Old August 8, 2001, 22:23   #26
Sabre2th
King

Off topic: How're things up in Rochester, Ancient?
Old August 8, 2001, 22:59   #27
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:14
I'm just too modest for that
Quote:
Originally posted by Colon

Horsie deserves congrats

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 9, 2001, 00:03   #28
Bird
King

LOL, there are people who wrote dissertations on the civ III suggestions forum and who, well, truthfully, got a little carried away, but anyway, horse's premier troll on OT is the only thing that gets incorporated. I'll give you credit when you get your name in the readme file

LOL, again and again.

Bird

Trying to understand WTL_d?????
Old August 9, 2001, 00:14   #29
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
...horse's premier troll on OT is the only thing that gets incorporated.
That would make good drama, but is false, thank God. No cities on mountains is, perhaps, a nice thing, and it's great that Firaxis re-considered, but if we were forced to drop ANY 'improvement' we've heard about so far, this would have to be the one because its effect on the game will be basically NIL.

This is not to detract from the change or Horsie's campaign for it. Many small steps can have a big overall effect.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 9, 2001, 02:06   #30
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:14
Quote:
No cities on mountains is, perhaps, a nice thing
I don't understand the logic behind making this a rule. How at all does it improve gameplay? This is a pointless and unrealistic rule. Dumb.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.