Old August 9, 2001, 10:22   #1
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IMHO, the civ3 news coverage is somewhat humorous
I think Jeff Morris is amusing himself quite a lot by giving those regular brief bits of info.
Time and time again they almost fall out of a blue sky in threads and they immediately are covered by our journalists and reported on the civ3 page as if there were breaking news from Macedonia. (Those titles are creative though, are you a reggae fan Snapcase?)

It’s not that I mind, I actually think you guys are doing a great job, but all this attention towards Jeff and his compatriots and every word of them is still somewhat humorous. I'd feel paranoid if I were in their place.

How long are you guys going to keep up at this pace?
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:26   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

when they'll start releasing info at bigger... chunks you'll hopefully find our news coverage less humurous
Old August 9, 2001, 10:31   #3
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:15
NEWSFLASH: Hunt Valley, 9th August 2001: Sid Meier is seen eating a ham sandwich outside the Firaxis main building. Jeffery Morris is seen smoking a cig nearby.

More critical news coming up!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 9, 2001, 10:31   #4
Footie Mad
Prince

Yes but remember a month ago, back then every single word from FIRAXIS was sought after, soon we will be spoiled with their attention and maybe then they will go away and make us miss them again
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 9, 2001, 10:35   #5
Colon™
Emperor

Maybe we should ask Jeff to compile the bits before releasing?

Or perhaps the journalists ought to wait untill they've collected enough bits of info before making a report? A list might be more surveyable...
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:36   #6
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Actually, we refrain from making too many short items like this. However, this last one contained a tangible bit of info. Plus, I couldn't pass up the opportunity once I had thought of that title...

(yes, Colon, I am. Watch out for "Police and Thieves", my next news item.)
Old August 9, 2001, 10:43   #7
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Or perhaps the journalists ought to wait untill they've collected enough bits of info before making a report? A list might be more surveyable...
actually, i dont think we had made a news item on the civilizations list before....
Old August 9, 2001, 10:49   #8
Colon™
Emperor

Well, to be fair, there wasn't anything about civ3 this Tuesday.

Mark, I meant compiling the bits of new info into a list or something like that, instead of making one report for each bit.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:56   #9
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Mark, I meant compiling the bits of new info into a list or something like that, instead of making one report for each bit.
well, given that the... appearance of such info is not really that often or expected, i dont think waiting for more is the best way to go....
Old August 9, 2001, 10:57   #10
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:15
NEWSFLASH: Hunt Valley, 9th August 2001: Sid Meier is seen eating a ham sandwich outside the Firaxis main building. Jeffery Morris is seen smoking a cig nearby.

More critical news coming up!

Wait! Does that mean tobacco will be a luxury good?
Old August 9, 2001, 11:10   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Hey, now I think about it, tobacco would be a great luxury to put in the game. Only found in certain regions and highly sought after. Maybe we should have weed in there as well

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 9, 2001, 11:50   #12
Colon™
Emperor

Rich, I'll be pedantic now, and explain to you that weed is made from hemp plants and those can be grown virtually everywhere.
Old August 9, 2001, 11:55   #13
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:15
Colon is, of course, an expert in that area
Old August 9, 2001, 11:57   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:15
Yes, I agree that the civ3 news coverage is somewhat humorous - but it also adds a flair of excitement to the Apolyton Forum!
Old August 9, 2001, 12:02   #15
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Colon is, of course, an expert in that area
Heeeeyyy, I want to know something too! I'm an expert!
Um, let's see, yin is......oh, that is old news. ****!!!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 9, 2001, 12:15   #16
Colon™
Emperor

Actually, and I'll increase my level of pedanticalness now, hemp has been a major resource for textile in Eurasia, they have been making cordage, sacks, canvas, sails etc out of it, but it's also usable for a series of other products, such as paint, soap etc.

Of course, the more recreational products derived from hemp have also been rather significant in history. This and the Euro- and Americentric view of the game developers will probably prohibit from including the plant in this game.

Now if you'd excuse me for a moment, I have to lecture someone else now.
Old August 9, 2001, 12:18   #17
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:15
By golly! He IS a hemp expert
Old August 9, 2001, 12:31   #18
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yeah, I am!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 9, 2001, 13:10   #19
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 12:15
Quote:
...and I'll increase my level of pedanticalness now...
Not to seem, well, pedantic, but the appropriate word is pedantry.

And hemp, in all its incarnations, is a wonderful plant.
Old August 9, 2001, 13:10   #20
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

and with these last post the fat of this thread has been determined

if someone still have comments on our civ3 news coverage you can post at the apolyton forum

thank you and good evening