Old August 9, 2001, 21:08   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How 'Bout Them Graphics
These graphics look phenomenal now. They used to look like what I left in the toilet a couple days ago. Now they are amazing. Very clear, precise, and well put together graphics. Go to this page and look at the very bottom right screenshot. The road thing with the mountain is fixed you can now see the cities building orders clearer. Everything just looks so much better. What do you think? Good job Firaxis. You weren't kidding when you said "The most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre."! Awesome!
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:11   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:16
i think it's now clear that they are going for "art" not "photo-realistic polygons" when it comes to the in-game graphics...
Old August 9, 2001, 21:19   #3
Colon™
Emperor

just trying to spoil the party...
Look at the sixth picture in this gallery and note how that road near Kish is crossing the sea...

[edit] link wasn't working properly
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Last edited by Colon™; August 10, 2001 at 15:29.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:20   #4
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i think it's now clear that they are going for "art" not "photo-realistic polygons" when it comes to the in-game graphics...
Our art team very intentionally went for a classic, "painterly" style with the graphics, because we didn't feel the game should look like some 3D, Quake III-powered shooter. (Wow, that was an odd visual, wasn't it??)

In any case, as I've said in the past, I hope you all wait until the game is finished before passing judgement on the look of it. Things are still being improved, refined, and polished, and the game will look even better by the time it's finished.

I'm glad you're all enjoying the new screens, though

Dan
Old August 9, 2001, 21:23   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:16
The actual map graphics are still mediocre. The other things like the palace and city view, however, look great.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:26   #6
TechWins
King

Thanks Dan for replying because just when I started to get down on things because of Colon you saved the day. The screenshots look very good! I'm not too worried about the road crossing the sea, it will all be fixed like Dan says.

I like what you've done with the world map small screen. Good idea on making each civs territory appear as their civ color and making non-territory land brown. That is correct right?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:35   #7
Colon™
Emperor

"Thanks Dan for replying because just when I started to get down on things because of Colon you saved the day. The screenshots look very good! I'm not too worried about the road crossing the sea, it will all be fixed like Dan says."

Damn Dan, why didn't you let him shudder a little longer.

No seriously, they look fine for me, although I'd hope you could add little trunks to those shrubs so that they'd look more like forests.

I particularily like the city graphics, I think they'll add a lot to the atmosphere.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:44   #8
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:16
The screenshots look AMAZING! WOW, the difference between these screenshots and the old ones that we have been looking is like night and day. They are polished, colorful, simply AMAZING. Did anyone notice the borders actually roll over the hills!

I can't wait for civ3.

Now, I am going back to civ3. com, there is just so much to take in. I'll see you guys in a few hours.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 10, 2001, 00:31   #9
Slax
Prince

Still worse than CTP
The screen shots show no real improvement over previous ones when it comes to displaying terrain. Its too plain and dull. CTP I/II did a much better job.

Also, where is the variability? Where are snow capped mountains, tundra, jungle, etc? Hopefully off-screen.

Were any screen shots from non-ancient times? ( I don't recall)

Last edited by Slax; August 10, 2001 at 00:44.
Old August 10, 2001, 00:48   #10
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Did anyone notice the borders actually roll over the hills!
That's cool I never noticed that!! Very well done Firaxis!!

My vote for the graphics is that they look very good. I would have no complaints if they left them as they are.
Old August 10, 2001, 01:14   #11
TechWins
King

I think they do look very good (as you can tell from my previous posts) but they still need a little polishing. No, there has only been screenshots from the ancient times. Firaxis wants to keep the modern stuff somewhat of a secret. Which is good because I still want some surprises when I play the game. Bye Diplomat have fun.
Old August 10, 2001, 01:59   #12
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:16
Graphics keep getting better, but I'm gonna say something that others have said in other threads many times already:

Please improve the irrigation graphic! They still look like chicken scratches.

And, as mentioned above, I'm also wondering where the terrain variability is. We've seen many screen shots, yet I can't recall ever seeing any Swamp, Jungle, Tundra, etc... I hope that's cos they're just not ready for unveiling, and not cos they don't exist.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:12   #13
TechWins
King

Quote:
We've seen many screen shots, yet I can't recall ever seeing any Swamp, Jungle, Tundra, etc
That could be because of your reason (unvealement) or it could be from strategy. I know when I build most of my cities I try to avoid the 'bad' terrain to maximize my cities capabilities. Firaxis could have just done this when taking these screenshots from their games. So I wouldn't worry about lack of variety in terrain.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:45   #14
Moral Hazard
King

I really like most of the graphics. The Cities look superb both on the world map and especially in the city view But I agree with Slax I found CTP's roads, mountains, and other terrain to be nicer looking. Hopefully this changes.

Great atomsphere tho.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:59   #15
Juggernaut
Prince

The game wouldn't suffer from making the borders a little more subtle. Right now they're harsh and glaring.
Old August 10, 2001, 03:09   #16
TechWins
King

Quote:
The game wouldn't suffer from making the borders a little more subtle. Right now they're harsh and glaring.
I think these things will be tweaked and polished in the coming months. The graphics won't look exactly like these in the released game. They will most likely will have the same basic look but look a little more refined.
Old August 10, 2001, 03:21   #17
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 12:16
FIRAXIS,

I am assuming that Mod-makers will be able to substitute their own Terrain Graphics if they desire relatively easily as we were with Civ2 & Civ2-ToT.

Can You confirm or deny ?
Old August 10, 2001, 04:24   #18
Ralf
King

Local Time: 13:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
Please improve the irrigation graphic! They still look like chicken scratches.
I second to that. One must intuitively see the difference between regular natural terrain-types, and artificial man-made terrain-improvements. An an dont with those irrigations - they look like mosquito-infested drenced marshes too me.

Make the water-canals more straight and regular, and more thin. And add some grain-colours so that one can see that food is actually growing there.
Old August 10, 2001, 04:29   #19
Mannamagnus
Prince

To me the graphics look fine. I like the style, I think it looks nice and crisp.
I have just one but. I think it's very hard to tell the difference between a happy, a content and an unhappy citizen. It seems the only way they differ is by their facial expression.
Please correct me if I'm wrong and please correct it if I'm right.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:41   #20
Hasdrubal
Prince

These graphics rule! I especially love the overall appearance of the game.

*Hasdrubal searches desperately for a drooling-icon*

Not even Britney Spears dancing naked on my desktop could draw my eyes away from this game!
Old August 10, 2001, 10:30   #21
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasdrubal
Not even Britney Spears dancing naked on my desktop could draw my eyes away from this game!
If that would happens, please call me, then. I'll be happy to make the hard work of looking naked nice girls for you

Not specifically Ms Spears, I point out. Any nice girl could be fine...
Old August 10, 2001, 10:52   #22
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

If that would happens, please call me, then. I'll be happy to make the hard work of looking naked nice girls for you
I volunteer too. I have been a «judge» for a spontaneous beauty bikini contest in a beach so I am very qualified.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:04   #23
Steve Clark
King

Actually I have to step out of character and say that the mountains still look like pimples. Shouldn't the individual peaks blend together (like they did in Civ2) to form a range? I will eagerly await Tim Smith or whomever to create new graphics so I can replace them with something better, so no big deal.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:19   #24
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Needs more blood. And fireballs.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:47   #25
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasdrubal

Well, Has, you gots some real problems, then. 'Cause if I had Spears dancing naked on my desktop, my eyes wouldn't by on no game, that's for dang sure!

(Then I'd get one giant backhand from wife )
Old August 10, 2001, 11:50   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
The graphics are pretty good, but I hate those irrigation tiles. Can't you just put wheat or something to indicate that?

Also the rivers and seas will look better if recessed.
Old August 10, 2001, 12:14   #27
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Graphiscs are getting better from what i have seen in the past, but i have a few points to make it better.

1. irrigation tiles should be clearer (i feel it is swamp like)
2. sea, it is too green, should be more blue.
3. mountains whan next to eas other should be connected in the same ways hills are, not to have a valley in between the mountains all the time. like in that screenshot where you have a vertical range of mountanis, it would be nice if they were connectd and looked like Andes on the real map.
4. Are the French still pink

But overall they are really in progress.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:02   #28
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

I like that the coastlines look a lot smoother than in civ2
Old August 10, 2001, 13:08   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Amazing look and feel of the game. Really, really nice graphics.

And I don't mind the irrigation tiles or mountains either... great looking game IMO.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 10, 2001, 13:37   #30
Mahdimael
Prince

Yes, I agree. The mountains all look like they were poked up individually. I love the graphics otherwise, but the mountains have been bugging me ever since I first saw them

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Actually I have to step out of character and say that the mountains still look like pimples. Shouldn't the individual peaks blend together (like they did in Civ2) to form a range? I will eagerly await Tim Smith or whomever to create new graphics so I can replace them with something better, so no big deal.