Old August 10, 2001, 11:34   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Morgan on Steroids?
I don't know if this has cropped up in the forums before, but in CMN'ing a game it's been brought to my attention that the SMAC manual says (p125) that Morgan starts with Industrial Economics.

(I know that the morgan.txt as well as the manual's p12 sets it up as Industrial Base, as does the game)

I wonder if the beta playtesters found him too powerful going FM right off the bat (and the 100 credits would do it) - or perhaps the 100 credits were a sop to strengthen him without going so far as to allow FM from day one.

Anyone built scenarios that playtests Morgan with FM ab initio?

G.
Old August 11, 2001, 00:27   #2
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
No I haven't tried it ... but that's a very interesting idea, especially for Morgan as an AI opponent ...
Old August 11, 2001, 08:22   #3
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 14:17
No, but I have taken IndEco as the first tech, gone FM and then straight to IndAuto (if he does not find any techs in pods, he can go there directly in 4 techs and usually less than 20 turns). The research rate and energy budget are incredible, but you are in big trouble if you meet anyone else. Even worms are a serious problem in FM/Wealth. But if it pays off, you can have the PTS very, very early and will be by far the mightiest faction.