Old August 10, 2001, 16:14   #1
DAB
Settler

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can't see Shield Production number in City Screen
When I first start playing I see dark numbers on a marble background. Not a lot of contrast but I can see it. As the game goes on the marble background gets darker and the number becomes unreadable. It's annoying not to be able to see the number in a high production city.

I've got the 2.42 patch. Old computer, but it meets or exceeds all the system requirements and has all the most recent drivers. Win 95.

Hopefully someone else has solved this problem already, just point me to the thread
Old August 12, 2001, 22:44   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

*bump*
Hmm..

no I've never had that problem, and it hasn't popped up recently around here, I don't think. Try searching the forums, you might come up with something relevant. Anyone else have an idea?
Old August 13, 2001, 05:03   #3
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 13:19
Have you tried to reinstall the game?
Old August 13, 2001, 07:55   #4
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 14:19
WIN95, no surprise there... try getting win98, it works way better in general.... apart from that, try deleting the game and reinstalling it, make backups of your savegames and/or game text files if you think it's necessary
Old August 13, 2001, 23:49   #5
DAB
Settler

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried re-installing, but still got the same thing.

Anyway, guess it's time for a new 'puter or I'll never be able to play Civ 3....
Old August 14, 2001, 00:59   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Did you try fiddling with your monitor's settings?

The game works...yes?

You are having trouble viewing..correct?
Old August 14, 2001, 17:05   #7
DAB
Settler

Smash, the game seems to work fine, and the contrast knob on the monitor works, my only problem seems to be viewing the production numbers on the city screen (once the problem starts showing up, that is). I've tried all the different screen resolutions and color settings possible from the display manager, nothing like that seems to help either.

Even rebooting doesn't always solve the problem, although I can often read the numbers when I first start playing. Sometimes it starts out bad, other times it starts out fair (never great) and degrades quickly.

Other apps/games seem to view ok, or maybe the color choices in other apps/games are more forgiving of whatever my problem is. I hope it's not a monitor problem, that's the only part of my system that isn't totally obsolete

What color/background does everybody else see for the production numbers on their city screens? I've never seen anything but black on black when it doesn't work, or black on marble-like when it sort-of works. Or maybe it's just very dark instead of black, it's hard to say....
Old August 14, 2001, 20:25   #8
Smash
Emperor

I see blue.if we are talking about the same thing it hould look like this:

Old August 15, 2001, 00:44   #9
DAB
Settler

Smash, I can't read the number on the screen shot that you posted either! I'm sure we're talking about the same thing, the number would appear right below the string of shields upper left-center in your screen shot.

I will log on from my work computer tomorrow. Maybe I can see it on a different system, or maybe it's just my tired old eyes that are the problem. Stay tuned....

In no case did I ever get blue, unless it was an incredibly DARK blue that could be mistaken for black.
Old August 15, 2001, 01:10   #10
Smash
Emperor

Well it must be your monitor's setting or a bad city.gif.You could try a different city.gif from a modpack....but you should be able to see my image..so it must be the monitor.

Could a video card somehow do this?

Maybe try re-calibrating the color?

Last edited by Smash; August 15, 2001 at 01:16.
Old August 15, 2001, 09:28   #11
DAB
Settler

On my work computer I can see everything very clearly, the number "19" is blue on a light gray textured background. I guess I'll have to dig around for the manuals for my monitor and video card when I get home. Thanks for the diagnostic help If I find the solution I'll be sure to let everyone know.
Old August 16, 2001, 09:39   #12
DAB
Settler

Well, I found the solution, but I really, REALLY, don't like it.... I've come to the conclusion that the monitor on my home computer is a flaming, stinking piece of crap!

I found this site on computer monitor color problems:
http://www.colormatters.com/comput.html

My work computer passes all of their tests, but my home computer flunks everything!

I tried every combination of monitor settings / brightness / contrast / intensity / drivers / screen resolution / # of colors / etc. that I possibly could, but absolutely nothing helps my home computer. Most things make things worse instead of better.

So, my problems have nothing to do with Civ2 at all, and we can kill this thread for good. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and diagnostic help. I'll have the web site above in my pocket when I go shopping for my new system.