Old August 11, 2001, 00:06   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Joan of Arc a questionable choice for French leadership?
Louis XIV
Napoleon
Charles De Gaulle

All far more significant (and well known) than Joan. Granted, Joan was extremely brave and made for one of the more interesting stories in French history, I would hardly call her the ultimate culmination of French leadership over the years. Thus far, this is the only real leadership choice i find highly questionable.
Granted, maybe she makes a more "charming" and "marketable" choice, (a boyish looking 14 year old girl as leader of all of France), but I think Napoleon would have been entertaining as well. (Short, overly-arrogant, and they could have given him a killer french accent)
Old August 11, 2001, 00:41   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:19
Napoleon wasn't short. It's just a myth.
Old August 11, 2001, 00:55   #3
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:19
I think Joan is appropriate... she was one of the first "nationalists." She asserted France's rights as a soverign nation... tho the English had a claim to the French throne.

I have no problem with her.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 11, 2001, 01:00   #4
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:19
Napoleon wasn't dwarf short. He was definitely short compared to Frederick the Great's collection of elite 7-foot tall soldiers, but hey. He was short, but not so short as to be miniscule. He was still quite imposing and imperious.

I think the only reason Napoleon or Louis XIV are not the animated French leaders is because Joan is one of the few female leaders whose name is actually recognized, and Firaxis needed a few token females. (Elizabeth, Catherine, Joan, Cleopatra...any others?)
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 11, 2001, 02:00   #5
tniem
King

Alexander is probably right. Firaxis needed a few females.

It would have been better if they had made both a female and a male leader for each civ, meaning that when you found a civ you wouldn't be sure which strategy they were going to play until you conducted diplomacy and met the leader.

But alas, it probably was too hard coming up with female leaders of the Babylonians or the Aztecs and with the graphics it probably was just not worth it.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:50   #6
Tventano
Warlord

Local Time: 13:19
I would have chosen Louis XIV. Napoleon conquered almost whole of Europe and had a huge impact on the history.
To the french though, Jeanne d'Arc still is the symbol of their republic. Regularly they choose a new female to pose as the new Jeanne.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:59   #7
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
IIRC Joan D'Arc wasn't even the leader of the French, she was just a military figure fighting to reclaim the crown for a certain French ponse.
Old August 12, 2001, 10:22   #8
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:19
Jean d'arc should be among the great military leaders IMHO.
Does Firaxis have many females there? - I doubt it.
As french leader they should pick either louis XIV or Napoleon.
Old August 12, 2001, 11:15   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Why does the game has to be historically correct? For us NON-Historicans Joan D'Arc would be the best leader for France, we (the NON-Historicans) don't know if Joan actually leaded Feance or not, but everybody of us know the name Joan D'Arc and releate it to something about France leadership (or something...). While Napoleon is known because of the battlefield and a person like Louis XSomethingL is just one of many who we have no clue what he has done

And there need to be some female leaders in the game, the world has only a few well know female leaders
Old August 12, 2001, 14:05   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Napoleon impacted the WORLD more than he did France IMHO.

as he conquered most of europe, he installed the Napoleonic Code, basically creating a democracy in every territory he took.

when Napoleon fell, the original monarchs were installed again, and the people had a taste of freedom . so they overthrew all their old monarchs and created modern democracies, or their precursors.

also Napoleon focused on Europe / Asia / Africa, and left the Colonies in America (Latin mosty) declare their independece rather easily.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:07   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

and Louis XIV built the palace of Versalles for crying out loud.

he was a lavish King of france, who wanted to make his nation a cultural beacon, shining for everyone to gaze at with awe.

he didn't do much more than that. and then the peasants (3rd estate) kicked some ass
Old August 12, 2001, 14:46   #12
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

This is something that they (most likely) won't change as it requires them to make a brand new leader graphic, and that would delay the game, as they had to make research and design and...

Edit: Language

Last edited by Gramphos; August 12, 2001 at 15:02.
Old August 12, 2001, 15:09   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
This is something that they (most likely) won't change as it requires them to make a brand new leader graphic, and that would delay the game, as they had to make research and design and...

Edit: Language
Please don't delay it...I want the game now
Old August 12, 2001, 15:12   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

they're not going to change it no matter what anyone says.

if you could prove she never existed, or was nothing more than a street prostitute, firaxis wouldn't change it.

THEY SPENT WEEKS, IF NOT MONTHS, IF NOT YEARS, IF NOT EONS making that animation.