Old August 11, 2001, 13:29   #1
singjai
Settler

Local Time: 12:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Uranium (supply side) anyone?
I've played Civilization 2 a couple times in chieftain mode with the small world map, both times acquiring all city improvements, and all civilization advances well before the game end. (I also mined, irrigated and farmed everything I could.)
Yet in neither run did uranium appear as a trade supply, though it seemed as if each city had a demand for it.
Is uranium tied to a specific wonder? To the mode or world map? Or the version? (psx)
I'm a bit baffled. Thanks for your help.
Old August 11, 2001, 18:01   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:20
I'm not sure as to how which cities supply uranium are determined...

AFAIK, any city around a lot of Plains squares is essentially guaranteed to supply Cloth... maybe if we put the city near some hills, mined them, railroaded them...

One thing I do know about the high uranium demand and low supply is that it's happened in all versions of Civ II- original, CiC, FW, MGE, ToT- regardless of the map attributes, and usually happens late in the game. Fusion power doesn't have an effect. I'm guessing something regarding commodities is going to be in the Trade-GL paper...
Old August 11, 2001, 21:26   #3
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:20
Uranium's appearance as a trade commodity has been the subject of numerous debates in these forums over the years. No one's ever been able to determine exactly what prompts its appearance, although a few people have argued that it's related to the discovery of one of the nuclear-related techs.
Old August 12, 2001, 00:48   #4
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:20
Upon discovery the Nuclear Fission advance uranium appears as a demanded trade commodity in most cities. Uranium begins to appear as a supplied trade commodity in new founded cities.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:06   #5
cpemma
Chieftain

Quote:
Uranium begins to appear as a supplied trade commodity in new founded cities.
I've also found U sources arising in a number of large captured cities, probably after a few of the original commodities have been used.

If you get it in one of these, build an airport & S/H sharpish
Old August 13, 2001, 12:03   #6
EOL
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by William Keenan
Upon discovery the Nuclear Fission advance uranium appears as a demanded trade commodity in most cities. Uranium begins to appear as a supplied trade commodity in new founded cities.
I've only ever had uranium supplied from small cities (< size 8 or so), but they didn't need to be new. In one game I remember I just happened to notice one turn that all my small cities (2-3) were supplying it. It means that even with a large payout multiplier you don't get that much cash for a delivery. Usually all my cities are maxxed out by nuclear fission so I don't see uranium very often.
Old August 13, 2001, 15:12   #7
cpemma
Chieftain

Quote:
I've only ever had uranium supplied from small cities (< size 8 or so),
In a just-finished game, in 1917 I've got Ur (21), Cumae (26), Samarra (21), Zaraqum (12) and to cap it all, my SSC Canterbury (37) all supplying U.

I've already delivered several loads from small/med cities (<18)

Pity the spaceship lands next year...
Old August 23, 2001, 13:52   #8
jpk
Prince

I think cities supplying Uranium are simply extremely rare, otherwise supplying uranium seems to be no different than other commodities.