Old August 11, 2001, 15:54   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 20:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Historical color detail
Of course it's a detail, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to arrange all he finds, not only what changes alot. Do what you want of what I'll say.

The kindda caveman with an an axe wears a loincloth, presumably made of some animal skin.
And it was coming from a blue bear

Of course I guess they used some plants to teint, but really bright colors on animal skins, not at this point. Even, indiglo blue have been considered as a rarity in Europe at some time. The discover of how to make such a color was great at that time.

Detail, but an existing detail.
Old August 11, 2001, 15:57   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:20
i believe the blue is a civ color. red civs have red warrior cloths, no?
Old August 11, 2001, 15:57   #3
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
edit: What he said.
Old August 11, 2001, 15:59   #4
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 07:20
i think all units should be colored naturally and should just carry a flag of theyre civs colour... (hmm u... thats odd)

but do we really want to wait for firaxis to draw all new units?..
Old August 11, 2001, 15:59   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:20
I think we should all stop whining and let Firaxis do their job. They are doing a great job and everyone here will love the game, no matter what they say now.

Old August 11, 2001, 16:33   #6
Trifna
King

Not whining
It's not whining. It's criticizing to get to the best possible. All criticizing from fans made alot I guess. Espescially that "list" made on this site, that shows the power of a group of person puting ideas to achieve the closest possible to what is considered as perfection by the Firaxis team (who put the final decision).

About some flags, I don't like flags alot for units, and units aren't in a colored square anymore as it was. Sorry I didn't thaught to the fact it was maybe the civ's colors

So 3 options are left:
1- Consider it as of technical use and our little guy doesn't really have a blue tissue. He simply is from a distinct civ
2- Use a less bright blue
3-Use some other distinctions between units
Old August 11, 2001, 16:44   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:20
Quote:
It's not whining.
A lot of what I've seen in the forums lately is just plain whining. I'm not referring to anything specific at the moment, but there is too much of it.
Old August 11, 2001, 17:04   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
i think all units should be colored naturally and should just carry a flag of theyre civs colour... (hmm u... thats odd)

but do we really want to wait for firaxis to draw all new units?..
March of the pedants again To address this and the first post, the purpose of the colour is to make the units of different civs distinctive so you don't end up mixing up the different empires.

And if we are going to be really, really pedantic, if they can't dye their togas and skins blue or red, how in the name of buggery are they going to dye their flag that colour either?

This is just silliness to the extreme...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 11, 2001, 17:56   #9
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
What would a Babylonian or Zulu flag look like?

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 11, 2001, 18:20   #10
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:20
In ancient times they didn't always use flags. Egyptians had wooden and bronze standards of their gods, kings, and regions.

The Sumerians had a slab of stone with writings and pictures on it that their standard bearer carried. Babylon would either have this as their flag (not feasable) or the symbol of their empire, the spade! That's right, Nebuchadnezzar II picked the golden spade as the Neo-Babylonian Empire's symbol to mark the unearthing and rebuilding of the world by his armies and empire! That would work.

The Zulus could have an asagai (one of their short spears) with a bit of leopard skin tied around it, or onw of their ox-skin shields.

Just ideas.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 11, 2001, 22:06   #11
Trifna
King

Firaxis wont make banners and such... would be too small, complicated, and simply less clear for players. When I first made this subject, it was because I thaught all units had same colors. My head had in mind these colorful square around units that we had in Civ I-II. So the choice would be to put bightless colors or keep as it is and knowing it's simply their distinction for players. After my little error, this subject lost his real sense...