Old August 11, 2001, 16:47   #1
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
*DING* I think I have spotted how early military cost problems are resolved!

OK, I was looking at this screenshot [url=http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3images/Civ3french_preview2.jpg] here[/img]. I noticed that at the bottom right hand corner, there is a military advisor screen. If you look in the top left hand corner, just to the right of the world map, there are three boxes:

Total units 14

Free units allowed 8

Army support cost: 6 gold/turn

So it would appear that the number of free units you are allowed in a civ is dependent on certain factors. I would expect this would be dependent on the factors of number of cities and government model.

What do you all reckon?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 11, 2001, 16:57   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Well observed Provost, to me it makes sense with these "free" units and probably you will have a higher amount of them with despotism, monarchy and communism ( fundamentalism?) and a lesser amount of them with republic and democracy.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 11, 2001, 17:09   #3
Ralf
King

Go to this webpage and read below as well:

"Unit Support

Q: Are the units going to be supported by the city they where produced from, or will they be supported by the entire civilization?

A: Units are no longer supported by the city that produced them, they are now supported by your civilization as a whole. Depending on your government type, you can support a certain number of units "for free"; after that limit is exceeded, you must pay maintenance per turn for additional units."
Old August 11, 2001, 17:16   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well Ralf, we had already ascertained that units were paid from the central coffers rather than supported with shields from the originating city. The problem we were posed with was when early on in the game with just one city, how was it possible for your economy to function even with just a basic recon and defensive unit, then there would be settlers and workers. I think this wraps up this little conundrum...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 11, 2001, 18:13   #5
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:20
And PH, he answered that too by quoting the new site.

Quote:
Depending on your government type, you can support a certain number of units "for free"
Old August 11, 2001, 19:21   #6
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
Just a thought...it would be kinda cool if the number of free units increased (slightly) the happier your civilization is...perhaps one more free unit per 10 points above 60 or 70. It could simulate patriotism based on satisfaction with the national standard of living and ideals.

To late to implement if it ain't already, but, as I said, just a thought.
Old August 11, 2001, 22:50   #7
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 08:20
I wonder if the number of free units would increase if someone declared war on you? Not you on them but more of a 'defending the motherland' approach.

Of course, this would need some checks to prevent deliberate abuse.
Old August 11, 2001, 23:41   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
Tell me something new, Provost

I reckon nationalism, communism, and fundamentalism governments allow for most free units while democracy/repulic least. Perhaps despotism allows for 3 units + 1 for each additional city. This would allow for some basic defenses and reconing.
Old August 12, 2001, 00:28   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:20
Quote:
Tell me something new, Provost
Yeah I know, this isn't some great discovery, it's already been known for awhle now.

Quote:
I reckon nationalism, communism, and fundamentalism governments
Why does everybody continue to assume that nationalism is a gov. choice? Having it as a gov. choice has never been confirmed or mentioned. Please stop referring to nationalism as a gov. choice. If you could prove me wrong then do so.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 12, 2001, 00:34   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
Pah!

I just include it for the sake of inclusion. I don't want to miss anything you know
Old August 12, 2001, 00:59   #11
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Yeah I know, this isn't some great discovery, it's already been known for awhle now.

Why does everybody continue to assume that nationalism is a gov. choice? Having it as a gov. choice has never been confirmed or mentioned. Please stop referring to nationalism as a gov. choice. If you could prove me wrong then do so.
it has been confirmned, i cant remember were but it has i now that! plus fundy is out, which pisses me off heavily !

they should have fixed it not taken it out! make it so fannatics get better with techs and you can only support 2 units for free besides fanatics. hopefully nationalism will have some good war sides to it
Old August 12, 2001, 01:56   #12
korn469
Emperor

splangy

Quote:
it has been confirmned, i cant remember were but it has i now that! plus fundy is out, which pisses me off heavily
this was in the pc.ign article as far as i know, firaxis has never confirmed it so we don't know for sure, but more than likely fundy is out

nationalism might be a tech advance that lets other governments go to either a war or peace standing but it might be its own government

we don't really know yet
Old August 12, 2001, 07:36   #13
Tventano
Warlord

The number of free military units only depends on the government type, not on the number of cities. Again a useful anti-ICS measure.