Old August 12, 2001, 02:24   #1
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3 MP
Havent seen much info released on this aspect of Civ 3, are they holding back becuase there is no MP?? Or are they jsut hoping we will accepta nything they throw at us.

Come on guys wheres the info on how MP wil lwork , hoep you havnet spent al lyour budget and time on making SP work so well, as you could lose a big slice of the market that loves MPing.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 12, 2001, 02:55   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:21
as you have been abasent for a while, i believe, you missed NOTHING.

the statement made on civ3.com is the exact "blanket" statement given to us months ago. "we are working on new imaginative stuff we are not ready to discuss".

frankly i am scared of Civ3 MGE.
Old August 12, 2001, 03:06   #3
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:21
You guys worry too much. I'm sure MP will be shipping with civ3 and I'm sure it will work perfectly (or at least be playable)
Old August 13, 2001, 01:30   #4
tniem
King

They will ship it with the game. It will include hotseat, PBEM, lan, and a number of other things according to their FAQ. However they are still "cooking" something up and will not discuss it.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:21   #5
Alex 14
Prince

How will diplomacy be worked out in hotseat?
Old August 13, 2001, 02:27   #6
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
How will diplomacy be worked out in hotseat?
In the past it has been done where you work out deals with the A.I. even if it is your human opponent.

This needs to be changed and it would be very easy to do so.

Say I want to make a trade. I come up with a proposal send it over to you and on your turn you approve it or make a counter offer. If it is approved than it becomes law, if a counteroffer is made than on my turn I get to look at the proposal and do the same thing.

In PBEM games you could conduct diplomacy, trade, etc negotiations by email and then the players whose turn it is would make a proposal with whatever deal you came up with. Then on the next player's turn with whom the deal was made would then be able to approve it.

Diplomacy must be allowed to be conducted by humans in Civ III even if it means delayed peace and trade deals. The game demands it.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:40   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:21
Don't worry Rasputin, for sure they are hard at work on MP. Here's a link to a thread in which Jeff posted a recent message. For those of you who are too lazy to go to the I'll post the quote.

"Timed turns and simultaneous moves will be a part of multiplayer, but in reality it doesn't significantly reduce play time (at best ~15%). Often MP games take longer anyways because of having to coordinate multiple play sessions with multiple people, not to mention disconnects and restarts. For the average customer winning a solo civ3 game by space race, on default settings, can't really happen in one sitting. MP is the same way. We've got a pretty different approach to simul-move, and features like alliance simultaneous moves will reduce game time even more. The SMAC favorite of dynamically increasing turn timers will be present as well.

While these areas of MP aren't being ignored, most new stuff will be in turn based. Civ3 is a turn based game at it's heart, and we believe it can be a great internet game without ignoring or sidestepping that fact.

Jeff"

To me everything looks fine in MPLand.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 06:27   #8
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

thanks tech for that... still very concerned, I dont like simul moves, i like Turn based , thats why i bought civ 2 not AOE....
Old August 13, 2001, 06:42   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:21
Your welcome Ras. Firaxis iseems to be motivated in keeping MP tbs but only added simul. play to add some more MP playing options.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 07:27   #10
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i think your right Tech.. having re read firaxis post in the other thread , i beleive they want us to play civ 2 as TBS noty simul, but they are leaving the option in... Hopefully they wil lrelease more details soon of wha tother changes they have made to improve MP
Old August 13, 2001, 07:34   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
I think MP is a foregone conclusion Ras. It was included with SMAC as routine, and I think they think that everyone is just assuming it is included in Civ3 as a matter of routine compared to their previous games. So don't worry, it is there. They are more interested in the other little features they are trying to add to the MP play, but MP is there...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 13, 2001, 10:12   #12
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:21
I hope there are some mediocre players like myself to MP with when the game comes out. I'm not a deity calibre player and I want to find some people who are warlord or prince level.
Old August 13, 2001, 10:58   #13
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
Well the playing field will be levelled a bit Anatolia in that no one else will have played the game before and some of the features such as resources will take some getting used to...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 13, 2001, 11:26   #14
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Call me cynical, but in my experience the people who dominate on "deity" mode are the ones who take best advantage of the game's numerous potential exploits and imbalances. There are very people who are "deity" calibre players simply out of sheer strategic brilliance.

Besides, human beings provide a much more adapt-able and unpredictable opponent than AI ever could.

If CivIII is largely without cheesy tactics to maniuplate the game like there were in previous Civ's, I'll bet the playing field will be more level. It's my hope anyway... getting beat by some dork who saps the fun out of the game by utilizing known cheese is much less fun than being beat in a game in which you've both truly "strategized" to the best of your abilities...