Old August 14, 2001, 20:41   #31
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 12:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yin I usually only read your posts for a laugh and this has done that but has also been ... mmm ... educational.

You should write a book let some of the ideas out ease the pressure.
Old August 16, 2001, 16:56   #32
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:21
Sorry Markos, I should have replied here instead of starting a new thread. My only point is that the elements that yin and others have been long wishing for in order to make Civ3 revolutionary might in fact, become so complex with an extremely steep learning curve....just like EU, which yin, myself and few others found very hard to get into.
Old August 16, 2001, 17:47   #33
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 07:21

It was nice to have a little comic relief around here, we can all admit that. I mean, who else claimed to be Sid, or review the game before it even hit beta? Give him some credit, he was the Velociryx of the civ3 forums. I just hope the whole forum doesn't become stuffed with 'firaxis read this!' threads, though.
Old August 16, 2001, 19:08   #34
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:21
ok Steve, np...

btw, revolutionary changes doesnt mean added complexity for the player. it may mean added complexity in the design/development process in the sense that the designer has to add a new idea to an existing system of models and make it "co-exist" with them, but it doesnt necessarily mean more complexity
Old August 19, 2001, 01:12   #35
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 05:21
Yin's gone?
he's leaving us, I can believe. I get burned out on this forum periodically myself. it must have taken superhuman endurance to take all of us for so long, and he was themoderator.

But Yin buying civ just to mod it, or not really taking time to play it, I don't buy. He's addicted, just as all of us are. he'll be playing for another 10 years. count on it.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 19, 2001, 18:26   #36
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
revolutionary changes doesnt mean added complexity for the player. it may mean added complexity in the design/development process in the sense that the designer has to add a new idea to an existing system of models and make it "co-exist" with them, but it doesnt necessarily mean more complexity
Right. To be fair I must note that often we proposed so many idea it seems very difficult to implement more than a bunch of them without a game quite difficult for a newbie, or developing a dedicated game for every idea, to fully exploit it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
Yin26's addicted, just as all of us are. he'll be playing for another 10 years. count on it.
We know when we diverged opinion, here at Apolyton (and with Firaxis): some of us wants more of the same Civ II taste, because they loved it sooo much, some of us (me included) hoped in a great team to take the legend a great leap forward.

Right or wrong, Firaxis chose the first option (maybe Brian Reynolds left for this reason, BHG will prove his point to some extent).

I suppose Yin will try the game, but (ban of a last minute miracle) he won't play it for so long as Civ II.
If Civ III will get good review from real players here around I'll buy it (I stopped on the way to game shop for CTP II, after a look at bad opinion it got here and on some other trusted sites).

Probably I'll play Civ III for 6 months/ max a year. It mostly depends from how much spare time I'll get for a year from now.

It's not near the couple of years minimum I was ready to spend playing it, when the many great suggestions for radically evolved Civ III I red, here at The List and on the Forum, raised my hopes to the max since the day my wife accepted the first date from me