Old August 12, 2001, 16:37   #1
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some thoughts about additional civ-specific abilities
Being a fan of Civ-style games since the original Civilization, I acclaimed the introduction of factions with specific abilities and weaknesses in SMAC because of the added replay value. While I doubted that the upcoming Civ3 would introduce SMAC-style "fundamentalist" or "environmentalist" civilizations, I hoped for a "softened" form of unique civs. I´m strongly in favour of the recently-revealed feature of "civ-specific abilities".

Anyhow, I´m worried about two features of the system as things are now: First, choosing two civ-specific abilities out of six (militaristic, commercial, expansionist, scientific, religious, industrious) allows for only 15 possible combinations. With 16 civilizations already in the game and fans creating additional custom civs (or with a possible expansion pack), more and more civs will share the same abilities and will only differ from their special units. Second, while the "abilities" of Civ3 correspond to some of SMAC´s "SE factors", other factors (e.g. "growth" or "probe/espionage") were omitted, some for no obvious reason.

Therefore I´d like to discuss the introduction of the following additional civ-specific abilities in Civ3:

- "Fertile": Free tech - pottery; Effect 1 - extra food in city center; Effect 2 - production costs reduced for aqueducts and sewer systems;

- "Vigilant": Free tech - alphabet; Effect 1 - spies have a higher rate of success; Effect 2 - reduced civil disorder due to warfare;

- "Close to nature" (for lack of a better term): Free tech - ceremonial burial; Effect 1: reduced pollution; Effect 2 - discovery of ressources more likely.

With the number of civ-specific abilities up to 9, there would be 36 possible combinations of two abilities, therefore allowing for more "unique" civs.

Some remarks: It may be questionable to introduce an "environmental" factor that will come into effect only late in the game. Also, a "vigilance" factor is likely to be termed as a "racial template" - all the more as a "vigilant" civilization would be a "bad guy" in a typical Civ game.

Personally, I advocate at least the introduction of "fertile" as a civ-specific factor in Civ3. And given the 16 civilizations already in the game, I´d consider the Chinese as a scientific and fertile civ, the Indians as a religious and fertile civ.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 12, 2001, 16:56   #2
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Hmmm.... Interesting Idea.

I think it's important to be able to create more "unique" civs, not in name only. Since there is already some overlap, I think that it would be good to have more possibilities.

I was thinking about an

- "Artistic": Free tech - ceremonial burial; Effect 1 - All cultural improvements generate more culture (because of the intricate artwork); Effect 2 - Civ creates "city leaders" more easily. (these leaders haven't been confirmed by Fireaxis, but I've read about them)

Otherwise good job...
Old August 13, 2001, 10:37   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:22
jsw363, I think that your suggested "artistic" ability is already covered by Firaxis´ "religious" ability which reduces the production costs of religious buidings (= cultural improvements).

However, as religion isn´t really included in Civ3, "artistic" may have been the proper term for that specific ability.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW