Old August 20, 2001, 01:53   #31
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Don't forget that certain resources don't appear on the map until your civ has researched a specific technology. Which means that uranium is going to be invisible on the map for a large portion of the game.

And to me this makes sense. Naturalists and other scientific dabblers may have known about pitchblende (sp?) for centuries, but it was only in the 1800's that it was found to be a source of uranium.

I definitely like this aspect of the game. It will require a lot more thought, deeper strategy and perhaps more patience to play well. The only thing that I dread is that it sort of makes exploration/expansion even more important than before, and thats not one of my strong suits in these games.
Old August 20, 2001, 04:38   #32
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 07:23
I'm looking forward to the resource aspect of the game. It'll make for some very interesting scenario building.

I'm just hoping that the map editor allows you to place specific resources in specific tiles. I found the Civ II map editor very frustrating because you couldn't do this. Instead you had to use the "seeding" function to spread random resources over random general areas. A pain in the arse, it was.
Old August 20, 2001, 06:45   #33
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i have an issue i brought up before.

say you discover fission first, you now see Uranium on the map, the only civ to see it.

you trade maps with some allies, and see that France s laiden with Uranium, and you have none.

my question is: do you have ot give France Fusion before trading for Uranium? i suppose you do, how could they trade for something they don't know they even have?

"i'll give you 4 gold a turn for that glowing rock over there"
Old August 20, 2001, 13:13   #34
Xuenay
Warlord

Local Time: 14:23
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
If you do posses all the resources you need wouldn't trading a little uranium to a peaceful civ for some extra cash be worth it?
It might seem like a good idea at first...

Player: Hey, we've got a little extra uranium, selling cheap, want it?
Peaceful Computer Nation: Sure! Err, could you wait a second? There's something I've got to take care of.
Player: Err, sure.
Peaceful Computer Nation: *leaves*

Warmongering Computer Nation: Well?
Peaceful Computer Nation: They're selling the uranium to us for 5 golds per turn.
Warmongering Computer Nation: All right, we'll pay you 20 golds per turn for it.
Peaceful Computer Nation: Deal.

*50 turns later*

Player: Hmm, I wonder why that peaceful computer nation is using so little of the uranium we sell them.
Military Advisor: SIR! Our early warning systems are severly outdated! You need to research more military technology!
Science Advisor: That's for his excellency to decide!
Trade Advisor: We need to research Advanced Economics!
Foreign Advisor: That might risk our relations with other nations.
Attitude Advisor: Just don't touch mah luxury rate, king.
Player: There you heard it, you're outruled.
Military Advisor: *grumbles*
Player: Say, what are those mushroom clouds in the horizont?

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Last edited by Xuenay; August 20, 2001 at 13:20.
Old August 20, 2001, 13:22   #35
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i have an issue i brought up before.

say you discover fission first, you now see Uranium on the map, the only civ to see it.

you trade maps with some allies, and see that France s laiden with Uranium, and you have none.

my question is: do you have ot give France Fusion before trading for Uranium? i suppose you do, how could they trade for something they don't know they even have?

"i'll give you 4 gold a turn for that glowing rock over there"
They'd need to be collecting the resource to trade it anyways, so they would deffinately need to be able to see it.
Old August 20, 2001, 13:49   #36
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

That is a very important question, one which there hasn't been an answer for yet from Firaxis. When the first civ discovers the tech to see a new research, say its atomic theory to see uranium...do all civs see the resource? only the civs with friendly relations? only civs with whom you have contact?

I think the answer is still in the air and is being play-tested by Firaxis, so they're probably not even sure of the final answer yet.

Side question, do horses get "discovered" with horseback riding? Or are they always visible?
Old August 20, 2001, 13:57   #37
SerapisIV
King

A question about resource seeding and realism (might have already been answered, if so just say so)...

Will resources show up in realistic terrain? Coal would show up in hills or mountains, not plains. Like in Civ2 where certain resources only showed up on certain terrains. I don't want anything that limited, but I also don't want any mountain top wheat either.
Old August 20, 2001, 14:03   #38
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:23
I certainly hope so...

I think that they're paying a decent amount of attention to terrain in this version, given the fact that it's taken into account for line-of-sight urposes and that they've even banned cities on the green old mountainsides.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 20, 2001, 18:00   #39
Edward
Warlord

"Mountain Top Wheat"

Sounds like a very healthy bread.