Old January 18, 2001, 21:26   #1
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Zero science challenge
The challenge has one simple rule; The science rate must be set to ZERO% at the beginning of the game, and left there. The challenge is to reach AC first. I tried this, and found that at deity, you must really scramble to get science. Tip huts, and trade techs early. After you get to size 5, you can actually research on your own by using einsteins. The problem is getting enough cities to size 5 without monarchy or trade. It took me to 1000 ad to get monarchy, and that was through a hut. I think it can be done, evem at deity. Post here if anybody tries it
Old January 18, 2001, 22:46   #2
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 17:50
Great Library will be a great assistance as will Marco Polo

------------------
If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Old January 18, 2001, 23:00   #3
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
sounds like a good challenge. i´ll have to try that.
Old January 19, 2001, 00:25   #4
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:50
Another strategy that would help is to have a whole bunch of caravans and at least one scientist. This allows you to get the science bonus from trade even with 0% science.
Old January 19, 2001, 08:40   #5
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 23:50
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Good idea, especially after reading DaveV's ICS strategy explained by Scouse Gits.
But why make scientists ? Kill them all !
I'm going to try with only the huts and the other civs transformed in slave science researchers. You've got to have neighbors or discover mapmaking through a hut, though. And no, I won't build any improvement (pure ICS) except wonders. Expect a lot of spies and a lot of caravans. (eh wouldn't we get science through foreign trade anyway. This game is too easy !)

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old January 19, 2001, 09:22   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 01-19-2001 07:40 AM
I'm going to try with only the huts and the other civs transformed in slave science researchers. You've got to have neighbors or discover mapmaking through a hut, though. This game is too easy !)

It shouldn't be hard getting all the sciences needed to launch without developing any yourself. However, the trick will be to launch and land your space craft before an AI. It's simply amazing (ai cheat) how fast an AI can build and launch a ship once it has developed the actual sciences. You will have to have tons of money and cities, so you can beat them to the punch.
Old January 19, 2001, 10:07   #7
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:50
Julius:
You get no science bonus from caravans unless you have some science production, hence the need for at least one scientist if you wish to pursue this strategy.

------------------
Old posters never die.
They justfadeaway
Old January 19, 2001, 10:44   #8
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Adam Smith on 01-19-2001 09:07 AM
Julius:
You get no science bonus from caravans unless you have some science production, hence the need for at least one scientist if you wish to pursue this strategy.

Oups, are you sure ? I suppose it tells everybody that I never played with 0% science. But if it toughens the challenge, so much the better !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old January 19, 2001, 10:49   #9
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 01-19-2001 08:22 AM
It shouldn't be hard getting all the sciences needed to launch without developing any yourself. However, the trick will be to launch and land your space craft before an AI. It's simply amazing (ai cheat) how fast an AI can build and launch a ship once it has developed the actual sciences. You will have to have tons of money and cities, so you can beat them to the punch.

Indeed, I was planning to both build a spaceship and destroy ennemy cities at the same time ! It may prove too much for one man, though.

------------------
Old January 19, 2001, 18:16   #10
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
You do get science bonus from caravans/freight when you set science to zero.What happens is the bonus doesn't quite fill up the box.You need that scientist to put you over the top.
In occ we often leave 10% science to acheive the same effect after cargo delivery.

For this I reckon a giga map would work best.You'll want as many tech from hut before Invention as possible.Once you got Trade it should be fairly routine.Getting there could prove interesting.
Old January 19, 2001, 21:46   #11
SilverDragon

What if you did the old conquer all the ais except one city trick

Old January 19, 2001, 22:26   #12
geofelt
Prince

I have been working on one game for a bit. At the start, you don't have the techs to build wonders. Without trade, you can't deliver caravans to get science, and unhappiness is a problem if you let your city grow to size five so you can have a scientist. The AI seems to notice that you have no science, and seems to scale back its science also. It should not be too hard to conquer the world, but perhaps it is better to leave some civs around to generate some science to trade and steal. I think that pyramids may be a good deal here. I plan to switch to an excess of scientists until the food box is almost empty, and then fill it up. On my world, a normal sized one, the terrain is not great, compouding the challenge. The real problem may be the 2020 date.