Old June 8, 2000, 05:07   #1
Oldman
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How addicted are you?
Just has a day dreaming session here at work, and remembered a time when i was about 17 playing civ at Emperor on a large map (not that you're interested?!!? ). Anyway i started playing sometime around lunch time on Sunday, and as there isn't much else to do on a Sunday, i carried on playing, and playing, and playing...
Next thing i know i hear my mums alarm clock buzzing at 6:30!!!!!! So i dive into bed get an hours kip before going to school and falling asleep in geography with my McNulty, God he hated me for that for a long time!!!!!!

So my record for addictiveness is near enough an 18 hour Civathon!!! what about the rest of you?
Old June 8, 2000, 07:03   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That's addicted. My best is about 9 hours in a day. Two different games, with only enough of a break to enter the other IP.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 8, 2000, 07:10   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:39
During the winter, with nothing better to do, I got in a MP game at around 10AM, and didn't quit until about 4AM... 18 straight hours was fun. Too bad one of the guys was tired, or I could have played more
Old June 8, 2000, 07:45   #4
Oldman
Prince

nice one Ming!!! at least i'm not the only one here who's gotten carried away before now?!?! I was only playing SP though, but still didn't manage to finish the damn game!!!!!!!!!
Old June 8, 2000, 07:59   #5
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Well, I guess you guys are more addicted than I am. The worst thing that happened to me was that I kept playing until 3am. At 1am I thought I would play one more turn before going to bed, but I ended up playing some more.
Old June 8, 2000, 08:42   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah, when playing SP, the old, JUST ONE MORE TURN trick has kept me up many times to watch the sun rise

But what's even worse, it's hard to sleep after playing for a long time, because all you can think about is the game.
I guess I'm addicted
Old June 8, 2000, 08:55   #7
finbar
Emperor

I find myself playing games (that don't exist) in my head while trying to get to sleep. Moving settlers, irrigating, building cities, the lot. Scary. Like if you play any of those games like Columns or Tetras for too long; close your eyes and you see coloured things dropping to the bottom of your mental screen.

Is this a sickness?

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 8, 2000, 09:04   #8
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
well i certainly went through the phases you are all talking about.... probably for even longer periods of time as well..... over a day at once i am sure and on several occassions. Civ1 certainly did nothing for my sleeping patterns and civ2 is no better. I think last year i was online, with out cable may i add for about 44 hours , (i think Finbar may remember giving me **** for this)straight of which i think all but one hour and a half were dedicated to playing or searching for more games..... made a couple of big trips to the toilet too

Now though its till 3am and no later.... as there are other people who require my attention
Old June 8, 2000, 09:21   #9
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Yes, I do have the same problem of still thinking about the game when I go to bed. I'll be thinking what I should build next and how to stop those stupid Mongols and such.
Old June 8, 2000, 10:01   #10
finbar
Emperor

Me? Giving you ****? I'm shocked. Though I do recall the occasional ICQ to you with something along the lines of, "Go to bed for Christ sake!" And you did, clearly. Or maybe it was on the kitchen table, who knows with you Canadians?

Anyway, I've got my cable now. Blissful. After a couple of teething problems.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 8, 2000, 18:06   #11
finbar
Emperor

I tried a test game with Berzerker and I kept getting cable error messages. I rang the Customer Service people and they told me to try 2 things: rebuild the (Mac) desktop, and trash the TCP/IP. Did both, and now the game plays without a hitch.

The speed's great, BTW.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 8, 2000, 18:40   #12
Black Bart

It's especially bad when I order pizza. I never have to leave the house for food or actually cood something. It can be difficult to move units with pizza grease on your fingers.

My record is probably 15 hours. Sometimes it gets so bad I can't straighten my knees. I need to move my desk so I can put my legs on something. And then create a potty hole in my chair with piping to my toilet...

Old June 8, 2000, 19:02   #13
WarVoid
King

My record is about 20 hours. The original WWII scenario at deity level playing as the Neutral Alliance. And I actually won the game. I got up around 6:00 AM and didn't stop playing until 2:00 AM the next morning. Tired, but man was I happy when that victory screen came up.

"Welcome to Civers Anonamyous will you please stand up and introduce yourself."

"Yes, i'm WarVoid and I DO have a problem..."

and so does everyone else it seems...
Old June 8, 2000, 20:45   #14
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:39
Many is the game in which my attention was diverted only by the sudden sound of birds twittering at the sunrise!

I found that working on Civ2 graphics was even more obsessive. There were many weekends in which I did not leave my apartment from Friday evening until Monday morning, working straight through the night, eating at the computer, taking naps at the computer ... Thankfully I finished that project!

Does anyone know, does methodone help Civ addiction?

- mindseye

Old June 9, 2000, 00:44   #15
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

LOL Finbar..... yes i believe that was exactly what you said...... i was just using Canadian paraphrasing

So how is the cable anyways...... yah gotta love it although personally i am hoping the new laser will be available soon
Old June 10, 2000, 00:59   #16
Mark von Wagner
Prince

My record is 7 hours. It was during the summer, and I only quit because the temperature in my room was approaching 100 degrees F.
Old June 11, 2000, 23:58   #17
War4ever
Emperor

well finnie now that your on a stable connection..... lets get it on :P
Old June 12, 2000, 19:47   #18
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:39
My sordid tale involves sneaking into bed in the wee hours, desperately trying not to wake the wife for fear of catch some o' that "Canadian ****" War4ever talking about!

On the upside, it was after a particularly looong MP session that Sheila DEMANDED that we get a second phone line for the computer! Hmmm...I wonder if I started taking a looong time driving home from work if she would demand a sports car...?

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad