Old August 12, 2001, 10:42   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Let's customize the Spanish Civ!
No, that's not one more whining thread (I whined enough now).

It's rather a thread that should be in a "Civ3 Scenario Development forum" already.

OK, the spanish aren't in, so let's make plans how to customize them.

Just some suggestions:

Civ Name: Spanish
Leader: Isabella (for the female quote )
City list: includes also Latin American cities
Special Unit: Conquistador (ideas about strength?)
Special Abilities: Expansionist, Religious (?)

Your ideas?
Old August 12, 2001, 11:03   #2
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 07:24
conquestador can be a explorer with attack, thats basically what they were. they can treat all as road with 2moves 1def 3att! thats sounds good plus i beleive expansionist, religius is good!

i wish they had the ottomans (nooo but they put the zulus and babylon in )! infact when i get the game babylons are replaced as turkish and they will be a millitaistic expansionist (they orriganily started as tararic mongols from asia so a scout would make sense) with the special unit jannesairy (musketeer) with basic stats except +2 attack. what do you think of that? yes, i know this isn't necessairily the turkish spanish thread but i just wanted to let my feelings about the civs be heard, but i doubt the people yerning for the spanish are the same as the ones that want the ottomans but many great empires were left out! what about the polish, aurtrians, incas, portugese, mongols, huns, and many others! i can tell you that my game will be edited heavily!
Old August 12, 2001, 11:43   #3
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 13:24
Nice idea and thread, Wernazuma!

I just now hope that Firaxis gives us the appropiate tools to be able to customize the civs at our own will. But, somehow, I'm afraid that they'd rather sell us the Expansion Pack with 8 new civs for, say, 45 $.

But I for one am ready to work on a cool conquistador animated icon. Here comes Pizarro!
Old August 12, 2001, 12:24   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Perhaps militaristic instead of expansionist? After all, they didn't found cities themselves. They just conquered them from other empires: the Mores and the American civs.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:01   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the spanish founded the citys and got taken over by the moors.

and they didnt really take all their latin american cities from inhabitants. they founded many a colony and ruthlessly slaguthered and desiesed the inhabitants.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:22   #6
Arator
Warlord

Local Time: 06:24
The problem with scenarios (if Civ 3's editor is like Civ2's) is that the maps have to be premade. They cannot be random.

This is why I am so insistant that Firaxis give us the ability to ADD OUR OWN CUSTOM CIVS to the playable mix in a standard, random map game.

If they did, then we each could create and play with or against any Civilization we choose, including the Spanish.

Help me convince Firaxis to do this before its too late. This is the CRITICAL improvement which must be in Civ 3, IMHO.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:32   #7
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Will we be able to, theoretically, edit the leader's portraits and animations? I Figure such a thing may be difficult, but will we at least have the option? Has anyone heard anything on this? Otherwise the Spanish leader is going to have to be Mahatma Ghandi or someone of the like.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:35   #8
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Will we be able to, theoretically, edit the leader's portraits and animations? I Figure such a thing may be difficult, but will we at least have the option? Has anyone heard anything on this? Otherwise the Spanish leader is going to have to be Mahatma Ghandi or someone of the like.
Im pretty sure I saw Dan saying that you could.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 12, 2001, 14:40   #9
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Wow, that's going to be really awesome then. Thanks willie
Old August 12, 2001, 16:40   #10
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:24
Maniac-

The Spanish DID found their own cities in the New World. Some of them (Mexico) they did conquer, but for the most part they set up their own cities. Also it's called the "Reconquista" against the Moors for a reason. They were liberating/ recovering what had already been theirs.

I'd see the Conquistador unit as a cross between an explorer and a swordsman. Both an attack/defense unit, and also an explorer. Perhaps increased vision? movement? Hitpoints (since they were hardy units)

I like expansionist and religious for thier abilities.

I wonder if you can name colonies. Then all the New World colonies could be the names of colonies and save the names of Spanish cities for actual cities.
Old August 12, 2001, 16:46   #11
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Actually I would suggest a replacement warship for the Spsnish.

Armada? (Galleon)

The British navy was inferior to Spain's until the latter sank into world-power oblivion. Therefore, why should Britain always have better ships?

I would agree that the Spanish should be military religious. Can anyone say "Inquisition?"
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 12, 2001, 17:18   #12
Fiera
Emperor

I can, but that would be "Inquisición".

Oh, and while we are at it, Inquisition wasn't invented by the Spanish. It's just that some of my ancestors seemed to like it too much...
Old August 12, 2001, 23:13   #13
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Well, thinking about the inquisition and forced mission I meant spanish to be religious. I don't see them more militaristic than most of the others.
Old August 13, 2001, 07:27   #14
Hasdrubal
Prince

Re: Let's customize the Spanish Civ!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Just some suggestions:

Civ Name: Spanish
Leader: Isabella (for the female quote )
City list: includes also Latin American cities
Special Unit: Conquistador (ideas about strength?)

Your ideas?
Civ Name: Spanish.
Just that, not Iberian or Latinos.

Leader: Carlos V
Spain at the heigth of its power

City list: shouldn't include Latin American cities.
Sydney, Chicago and Wellington aren't English, Quebec and Montreal aren't French, and neither are Buenos Aires and Lima Spanish. Basta!

Special Unit: Conquistador (ideas about strength?).
Strong attack, fast, and 'spreads nasty diseases amongst natives' as a special ability. The timing of the conquistador (1492 and later) is in line with Spain's Golden Age.

Yes. These two are better than militaristic.

And: Great Leaders: El Cid, Pizzaro, Hernan Cortez.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:26   #15
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Re: Re: Let's customize the Spanish Civ!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hasdrubal
Leader: Carlos V
Spain at the heigth of its power
Right, that'd be the other choice. Though I'd call him Carlos I, cause he was Carl V only as german emperor.

Quote:
City list: shouldn't include Latin American cities.
Sydney, Chicago and Wellington aren't English, Quebec and Montreal aren't French, and neither are Buenos Aires and Lima Spanish. Basta!
well, I think different. They are not english, french, spanish anymore, but they were for quite a time.

Quote:
And: Great Leaders: El Cid, Pizzaro, Hernan Cortez.
right, forgot about that.
Old August 13, 2001, 15:34   #16
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Maniac-

The Spanish DID found their own cities in the New World. Some of them (Mexico) they did conquer, but for the most part they set up their own cities. Also it's called the "Reconquista" against the Moors for a reason. They were liberating/ recovering what had already been theirs.
You're probably right about the Reconquista, still: weren't the cities owned by the Visigoths before they were captured by the Islam? The Spanish did not exist back then.
Old August 13, 2001, 15:57   #17
aeturneus
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 05:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
The British navy was inferior to Spain's until the latter sank into world-power oblivion. Therefore, why should Britain always have better ships?
Hang on there buddy... Henry the VIII was very enthusiastic about the water, and under his rule the English designed a low-slung and much faster ship designed to fight the spanish and other galleon-heavy fleets from a distance. The lower profile of the english ships made them difficult to hit with cannon fire, and their speed made it extremely difficult for the Spanish to close and board them. Their invention created a new era of naval strategy that lasted till aircraft carriers. The English thus overturned Spanish technological dominance well before the Armada and long before the Spanish empire fell from grace.
Old August 14, 2001, 00:43   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Arabia 5
Assyrian 8
Canadian 20
Carthage 4
Celtic 4
Hebrew 5
Inca 10
Koreans 10
Maya 8