Old August 10, 2001, 14:36   #1
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why Are There Less Civs??
It seems the number of Civs has shrunk from Civ 2...I was expecting kinda the opposite...especially losing my beloved Mongolian hordes...

I WILL pay for an expansion pack with Genghis, Tokugawa, and company though!!! (animated advisors or just a download on the site paid by credit card) Pretty pretty please??
Old August 10, 2001, 15:05   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:26
There are less now because of the unique civs and units. It would have been quite a bit more work (and longer wait for us) if they did 21 unique civs.
Old August 10, 2001, 15:07   #3
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 14:26
Due to storage limit, what would you prefer, 21 civs with none-changing leaders through time, or 16 with pictures of each leader in each time era?

I think this is more fun and better.
Old August 10, 2001, 15:09   #4
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:26
A way of seeing it is that in the previous civ games we only had one civ while we now get 16.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 10, 2001, 15:12   #5
Sabre2th
King

Uncle Funk: I think you're forgetting about the unique units, city art, and civ abilities. When all of this is taken into account, it takes a bit more than just a couple of crusty, old leader animations
Old August 10, 2001, 15:23   #6
Juggernaut
Prince

I intended that too. In one sentence: Quality instead of quantity.
Old August 10, 2001, 15:27   #7
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 04:26
I hope there is an expansion (on CD, sold in real stores) which doubles the number of civs. We need Vikings, Mayans, Mound Builders, Incas, Anasazi, Olmecs, Hawaiians, Arabs, Hebrews, Inuit, Atlanteans, Hmong, Australian Aborigines, Maori, Mongols, and Spanish.
Old August 10, 2001, 15:37   #8
Juggernaut
Prince

Yeah, hopefully it will come soon after the launch. Making your own custom Viking civ with the leader portrait drawn in Paintbrush ain't really the same thing.

Hey, Eskimoes would make a hilarious civ. Just imagine their igloo-like city style.

Last edited by Juggernaut; August 10, 2001 at 15:53.
Old August 10, 2001, 15:42   #9
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

That would be Inuit Uncle Funk!!

EDIT: Anyway, I do agree with the fact that quality is better than quantity... But 16 is really very little, I think.
It´s just another way of milking their civ fans by getting them to buy another $30 add-on.
Old August 10, 2001, 16:02   #10
Juggernaut
Prince

Old August 10, 2001, 16:24   #11
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
A way of seeing it is that in the previous civ games we only had one civ while we now get 16.
Perfectly said. In Civ2, all of the civs were the same...all stupid. While I doubt that each of those 16 civs are unique, I certainly will not be playing with that many at one time. I think I can find 7 civs that would require a different strategy/tactics to deal with.
Old August 10, 2001, 17:34   #12
kolpo
Prince

Local Time: 12:26
We will have to destroy a civ to make a new one(like in SMAC) and this is a big design flaw.

And that whole quality over quantity actually means : graphics quality over gameplay!
(The "quality over quantity" nonsense is in fact an original way of the rp department to hide that they choosed graphics above gameplay)

Instead of more differnt civs/personalities to have as enemies get we some stupid leader animations and extra leader graphics that are fun the first week you play it but are useless afther that.

Please firaxis do NOT choose graphics quality above gameplay!

I would rather been able to play choose from 32 civs then some leader animations.

There is also another explanation for "quality over quantity" : "expansion pack over current game". If they don't include many civs at first can they get money from an expansion pack.

It looks like the rp departemnt of civ3 is better then we thought. So to all the firaxis personel that is posting on anominous names to let us believe that the majority of the posters are blind optimists: congratulations with your pr department !
Old August 10, 2001, 17:45   #13
Seeker
Emperor

Well hopefully the leader pictures can easily be replaced with common format pictures by the user (.gf, jpg, etc)

GENGHIS SHALL RETURN!!

(Civ I reference)
Old August 10, 2001, 17:50   #14
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
We will have to destroy a civ to make a new one(like in SMAC) and this is a big design flaw.
So you have tested the new editor? Was it cool?
Old August 10, 2001, 17:59   #15
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

aw, come ON kolpo.

GIVE THEM A %@^# BREAK once i a while. at LEAST play the GAME before you start judging them on the gameplay and such issues, especially on such a fine point...

maybe you would rather have more civs to choose from, but then look at the other trove of people on the other side who are yelling at firaxis for not having good enough graphics. They have a lot to deal with, and so far i commend firaxis on their ability to balance the two groups.
Old August 10, 2001, 18:44   #16
Brent
Prince

The reason I want more civ options is so I can play my own nationality or do a continent- specific game such as American. If I can change the names of my opponents that should work. I hope there's a way to tell your opponents' feelings without facial expressions. If the makers want super graphics so they can sell more copies, fine. But I personally place gameplay ahead of graphics. Let's stop biting the hand that feeds us, shall we?
Old August 10, 2001, 18:50   #17
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
at LEAST play the GAME before you start judging them on the gameplay and such issues, especially on such a fine point...
That's something that should be said to a LOT of posters. Even with all the pictures and written info, we really don't know how the game will 'feel' to play. The game may just 'feel' right, then again it could fall flat, outright denying that it could still be a good game based on a few pictures and some general info a few MONTHS before the game release is pretty harsh. Give it time folks, give it time. If you're so worried about Civ sucking so badly, buy from a store that takes returns. THEN, after you've actually played the game, rant all you want about how much it sucks.
Old August 10, 2001, 19:30   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark

Perfectly said. In Civ2, all of the civs were the same...all stupid. While I doubt that each of those 16 civs are unique, I certainly will not be playing with that many at one time. I think I can find 7 civs that would require a different strategy/tactics to deal with.
They were stupid because the AI was stupid - I fail to see how CSU's and special abilities make the AI smarter.

And as a matter of fact they were not all the same - not after the first turn that is And certainly I didnt play the same way each time.

LOTM
Old August 10, 2001, 19:32   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

That's something that should be said to a LOT of posters. Even with all the pictures and written info, we really don't know how the game will 'feel' to play. The game may just 'feel' right, then again it could fall flat, outright denying that it could still be a good game based on a few pictures and some general info a few MONTHS before the game release is pretty harsh. Give it time folks, give it time. If you're so worried about Civ sucking so badly, buy from a store that takes returns. THEN, after you've actually played the game, rant all you want about how much it sucks.
I think people criticize in advance in the hope that they can still have some impact on Firaxis. It may, of course, be too late.

LOTM
Old August 10, 2001, 21:17   #20
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

I think people criticize in advance in the hope that they can still have some impact on Firaxis. It may, of course, be too late.

LOTM
a couple months before release? of course its too late! theyre moviing from alpha into beta stage! at least in this case, its absurd, that reasoning.
Old August 10, 2001, 21:22   #21
kolpo
Prince

Quote:
So you have tested the new editor? Was it cool?
the current setup screen in the screen shots has no place for more then 16 civs, it is of copurse possible that it is a dynamic cscreen that show extra buttons when extra civs are added(let's hope so)

Just found out that civ3.com was up the game looks actualy better then I thought so i'm also less pesimistic about this iseu and this isue can maybe also be fixed by making a manage leader data program(wouldn't be that hard to make so some fan will do it if needed i think(like in SMAC)

btw, even a few months before release can they still change some important isues,just look to colonization for example, they did dramatical changes near release in it and user input can help in that.

Last edited by kolpo; August 10, 2001 at 21:35.
Old August 10, 2001, 21:36   #22
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:26
In an expansion I would like to see the Polynesians, Brazilians, Incans, Turkey (Ottoman Empire), Mongols, Spanish, Vikings, and some others that I haven't mentioned. This thread gives me a good idea for a thread and a poll but I'm not going to make them seperate.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:16   #23
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
aw, come ON kolpo.

GIVE THEM A %@^# BREAK once i a while. at LEAST play the GAME before you start judging them on the gameplay and such issues, especially on such a fine point...

maybe you would rather have more civs to choose from, but then look at the other trove of people on the other side who are yelling at firaxis for not having good enough graphics. They have a lot to deal with, and so far i commend firaxis on their ability to balance the two groups.
If the editor is good enough, I will be able to stand just 16 civs, but I feel that Firaxis should not have snubbed the Mongols and Spanish and should have instead only included my Essential Civs, see the list in XoyXo's thread.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:20   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
They will come out in an expansion pack. Just after the MP expansion pack.
Old August 11, 2001, 00:14   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

IIRC, the SMAC faction editor was VERY good, and easy to use.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 11, 2001, 00:36   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:26
They made less civs probably due to time constrains and some other design decisons. I don't think the number of units is a limitation (can easily be fixed) but the diplo screen can be hard to handle.

Irman,

Yup.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:51   #27
Brent
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
They will come out in an expansion pack. Just after the MP expansion pack.
Is that official? Hey, I thought MP was in the original release!
Old August 11, 2001, 03:10   #28
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 13:26
I hate to sound like a pedant (Just kidding...I love it ) but shouldn't the title read FEWER CIVS?

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 11, 2001, 03:35   #29
Warm Beer
Warlord

Does having less civs really effect game play? Actually, let me restate that: Will having 16 unique civs affect game play when compared to 21 identical civs, differing only in attitude and asthetics?

I think the answer is yes. It will improve the game. So we have five less than before, but now each civ has a very unique attitude, advantages, disadvantages and strategy.

And, yes, I like the added animations and 'eye candy'... I thought when you come up with a sequal, you should improve all aspects of the game (this includes graphics and interface).

And we have no definitive answer RE: custom civs. No use having a heart attack over a speculative observation.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 14, 2001, 01:52   #30
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:26
I like the idea of 16 Civs, it keeps the game simple. (In a way CTP2 didn't)