Old August 10, 2001, 03:13   #1
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
vikings, mongols are out, who are the bad guys?
chinese?
Old August 10, 2001, 03:23   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:26
With the way people around here feel about the Americans I would have to say the Americans.

Maybe the Aztecs could be the 'bad guys'. I'm not real sure, though. I know my Civ2 bad guy was the Mongols. Oh how I hate the Mongols in that game. Well, that's for a different time and place.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 03:30   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:26
The Greeks

What exactly do you mean by "bad guys?" If you are referring to warlike civs clearly they will be the ones with "expansionistic" ability, esp when coupled with "militaristic" ability. So it would be the Zulus that lead the pack of "bad" guys, followed by Iroquois, Americans, Russians, English, and Germans.

In a standard game of course.
Old August 10, 2001, 03:35   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
What exactly do you mean by "bad guys?"
well, it is clear that everyone hated the mongols in civ2.
that's what i'm asking. how will replace them as the most hated civ?

and no alex14, dont start a poll about it
Old August 10, 2001, 03:59   #5
Urban Ranger
Deity

They are all bastards. Even Gandi ties to extort me.
Old August 10, 2001, 04:06   #6
TechWins
King

I'm not big on spamming but I just have to say this. That was hilarious about the Alex14 joke. It's so true about him, but it's ok Alex.

Quote:
They are all bastards. Even Gandi ties to extort me.
Yeah, Ghandi's a big loser. So is Catherine the Great, she's such a backstabber. Can she ever be loyal? Sometimes for no reason at all she'll declare war on me while we had an alliance.

My vote still stands as the Aztecs. For whatever that's worth.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 04:07   #7
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Hammurabi is the bad guy, innhe?
Old August 10, 2001, 04:12   #8
Urban Ranger
Deity

Surely, with that dastardly grin of his.
Old August 10, 2001, 04:14   #9
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
well, it is clear that everyone hated the mongols in civ2.
that's what i'm asking. how will replace them as the most hated civ?

and no alex14, dont start a poll about it
greeks, of course....monopolizing trade in olive oil
Old August 10, 2001, 08:38   #10
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 13:26
No, I think it will be the Russians.

Like the inclusion of the Palace and Hall of Fame, this is one more thing that will revive Civ1 glories.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:42   #11
Bird
King

Local Time: 08:26
Vikings and Mongols out, huh. War4 and I won't know what to do in our MP games.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:12   #12
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd say that it sort of depends on who is chosen to "lead" each Civ. For example, the Russians could be turned evil just by using Ivan the Terrible for the leader animation. Or by having the Russian "throne room" be replaced by the Russian "chamber of horrors." Probably every Civ had an evil bastard leader, so it would be easy to turn any Civ into the bad guys.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:35   #13
Colon™
Emperor

I’ll miss the Mongols, no other civ had as much potential of frightening you as those purple/brown (depending on the instalment) chaps with those rough city names (all those k’s and r’s) whenever they popped out of the darkness of unexplored territory. The Zulus always scared me too but they just miss that extra... maybe it’s their green colour (reminds one of environmentalists) or the city names (Ulundi, such a softy name) but Zulu horsemen never came across as frightening as Mongolian ones.

Besides, when you’re playing on the real world map, you’ll miss the badass terrorising the Eurasian continent, since the Zulus are just too far away.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 10, 2001, 12:55   #14
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I still think the most stormtrooperesque unit is that Babylonian Bowman. Plus Hammurabi has a realy nasty scowl.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:06   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Karakorum
Samarkand
Bokhara
Nishapur
Kashgar
Tabriz
Aleppo
Kabul
Ormuz
Basra
Khanbalyk
Khorasan
Shangtu
Kazan
Quinsay
Kerman

but my favorite city name goes to the russians... with the magnificent city of Magnitogorsk
Old August 10, 2001, 13:09   #16
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I'll miss the mongols.

Nothing intimidated me more than discovering the mongols or the russians next to my civ in the early beggining. In this case it was complete annihilation early on so I don't spend the whole game fending of their hordes or I'd bottleneck them with just two cities and a nice big mountain between them and me.

And when you actually couldn't beat them in just a few turns. Oh the desperation of feeling other civs advancing while you just built catapults and phalanxes... (solution: divide your civ in science-trade cities far off the borders and military producing monsters, usually doesn;t work very good)

One thing I'll miss the most for the mongols is the pissed off Genkis Chan face (I miss it from civ 1). It was so damn funny!

But the baddest (according to civ 2 standards) has to be the russians. Of course the badas* civs in civ 3 would be the militaristic expansionist ones I guess.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:14   #17
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

no one going for the zulus.

man, i inherited a deep hate to them from Civ1.

gandhi was pretty badass in Civ2. nevr liked the japanese either.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:15   #18
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

interesting post Mark, personally i am going to look forward to crushing the decadent Americans
Old August 10, 2001, 13:18   #19
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
"Mongols out of Civ3 "

Thats the icq message I got and I was sure it was a joke,But.....it is true!

What are you thinking?There must be Mongols.They had a huge impact on the way their part of the world developed.No special Mongol horseman unit?...argh..this is a travesty.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:20   #20
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 15:26
Greeks :P.

Seriously, I think Russians. Hated them in Civ 1/2.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:21   #21
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 06:26
you're all wrong! the zulus were easily the nastiest of the nasty. they would own africa. if you couldn't seize controle on the strait between the middle east and africa they would run all over the place. the pissed zulu dude was pretty funny too. him and alexander came in 2nd behind genghis(spelling?)

the russians were mean as hell in civ 1 but that might just have something to do with stalin being the head man. but, i think the zulus were easily the most warmongering people in civ.

who will the the baddies in civ 3? probobly the zulus and aztecs. they were both always mean. i don't think the russian will be that bad, it's just been too long since the cold war to make them that mean.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:33   #22
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 06:26
Ah, the Americans! They seem to just be advancing in tech and building new cities. Then you remember you are wearing levi jeans, nike shoes, a disney necktie, and drinking coca-cola. Your own mother gave up meditating and now watches american teevee shows. This has to stop!

As your military advisor lights his Marlboro cig, he suggests we demand tribute from them. The trade advisor thinks we might just get a box of promotional merchandise if we do. The attitude advisor - hey, wait, he IS an american! Damn them, it's time to wipe them from the earth...

Actually, I expect the Germans and Zulu to fill the role.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 10, 2001, 14:35   #23
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If aliens are included in Civ III then they'll be the obvious choice to fill the "villain" slot (especially if they're Darloks or Antarans).
Old August 10, 2001, 14:41   #24
The Mad Viking
King

The Sioux were the worst for me. Sometimes they would be sweet as pie, but they once sneak-nuked me while at peace and not even p!ssed at me. I will remember that forever.

Of course, the were eventually nuked back 4 times. The Mad Viking will have his revenge.

And yes, I'm that the Vikings are gone from Civ3.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old August 10, 2001, 16:35   #25
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 13:26
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Hey, why is there no Apolyton tribe in Civ3?
WE could be the bad ones
Old August 10, 2001, 16:38   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea. i think the militarists and the expansionists will be more aggressive towards players.

perhaps the scientists and economists will be more peaceful, and trade more?
Old August 10, 2001, 16:52   #27
kolpo
Prince

I want again the Russians like in civ1 with the bastard Stalin as leader. I really loved it in civ1 to play the Americans(just becasue of the location they start), to let Stalin conquer whole euro/afrika/asia and then reconquer it
Old August 10, 2001, 20:56   #28
TechWins
King

The might Persians might be pretty fearsome. They are militariastic and they will have more money to support a larger military than any other militariastic civ because of them being commercialized.

The Japanesse and Aztecs could be tough to handle because they are militariastic and religious. With them being religious they should have a big culture which will give them many resources enabling them to build several different types of units.

The Romans will be militariastic and industrious. This means that they will be able to produce their units much faster. Creating a bunch of Roman hordes knocking on your door step very often.

All the militariastic civs have a case in why they could be the greatest military powers.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:28   #29
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

This is obviously an evil plan by those racist pigs at Firaxis to center hate on the poor Africans... I mean, who did most people hate in Civ II, 1. Mongols, 2. Zulus, 3. Russians, 4. Sioux

Firaxis wants us to hate the Africans by making them the new bogeymen of Civ.

We must protest this and request the fierce Mongols be reinstated in Civ III!

(Joke post above)
Old August 11, 2001, 01:26   #30
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Bird
Vikings and Mongols out, huh. War4 and I won't know what to do in our MP games.
what a crock...no mongols......

admittedly they and the zulus were jerks in civ..... along with the russians....

who am i supposed to play now..... and poor bird..no vikings... what is this world coming to