Old August 13, 2001, 14:44   #1
Pods
Settler

Local Time: 12:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best civ for diplomatic strength?
Hey all,

My first post to the Civ3 forums; I'm a long-time occasional lurker. Civ3 is looking fantastic, and I am looking forward to playing it.

Just curious about your opinions - which civ, going by their specific abilities, looks best suited to strength in diplomacy, and u ltimately diplomatic victory? I suppose the second strength of the civ would be either militaristic strength to back up the diplomacy, or scientific strength to back up diplomacy, or commercial strength to back up diplomacy...

?

Cheers,

S.
Old August 13, 2001, 15:14   #2
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:27
Great topic!

As I see it, to achieve the diplomatic victory, a civ needs to have excellent relations with as many other civs as possible. We know that culture helps improve diplomacy, so a civ needs high culture. So, a civ needs the religious ability. The second ability is harder to decide. I would suggest that the industrious ability would help a lot. With the industrious ability, a civ can build things faster. Thus, a civ would have a better chance at grabbing the wonders that enhance diplomatic influence. More importantly, the civ that builds the UN Wonder will probably get some advantages toward winning the diplo victory. An industrious civ has a better chance at grabbing that wonder.
Conclusion: the Egyptians have a good chance in my book for going for the diplo victory.

One of the great things about the civ specific abilities is how they really depend on the player's strategies. Good players will probably find cool strategies on how to use the other civ specific abilities toward winning diplomatically.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 13, 2001, 15:21   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:27
I think a religious/commercial combo will do it. IIRC, the Indians have these two traits.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2001, 18:08   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:27
A militariastic/religious combo would be the best imo. You would be able to back up your words with a good military plus you would have a big culture for spreading your influence. This would mean that the Aztecs and Japaness would be very dominant in the diplomatic field.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.