Old August 13, 2001, 17:05   #1
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The *Complete* Tech Tree - Discuss

Let's start from the beginning and analyse the entire thing. What do each and every one of the Icons mean? Are the connections between techs logical?
Old August 13, 2001, 17:07   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
hey scumbag. are you getting stuff we're not?!?!?
Old August 13, 2001, 17:10   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Listing what i see

(modern)
there appears to be a unit under computers. looks like a mech inf.

i dont see a howie under robotics. looks like a ships there.

Fission seems to yield a nuclear sub.

no ship for steel? have to wait for combustion.

Ecology has nothing???

(industrial)
mass production yields 3 ships... no buildings...

replacable parts??? please not a howie...

medicine has nothing???

Industrialization yields 3 buildings.

Espiogane... looks like a building... units are on WHITE BG... no spy?

Advanced flight, chopper and paratrooper? NO BOMBER?

ah, bombers in normal flight...

Radio yields a building... looks odd.

(Middle)
Chilvary yeilds an unmounted unit? (is that a samuari? are they chinese?) (i know samurari arent chinese dammit.)

invention makes a unit now?

Magnetism makes 3 boats.

pikemen are still in (you heathens!) on a direct path to musketeers

education tech? a school?

Democracy... no wonder... no statue of liberty?

Navigation... Explorer unit... no Caravel?

stupid Arts techs

(ancient)
monarchy needed for palace?

mapmaking lets you have 2 buildings? ones lighthouse...

i still dont know what that thing on constructions tab is (rook icon) i saw it on the game map.

laterz!

Last edited by Inverse Icarus; August 13, 2001 at 17:23.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:18   #4
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
As you can see on the middle-age screen, both Invention and Gunpowder are marked green, and numbered 1 and 2. I take it you can actually set up a a research path to final tech, allowing the computer to automatically research whatever pre-requisite techs necessary to get there. Nice and smooth.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:45   #5
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:27
I see some thins in the modern age that make me think of things that could be in the game.

1- Satellites - How will this work, does it just give you some city improvement or do you get to control satellites in space?!?!

2- Integrated Defense - I honestly have no idea.

3- Smart weapons - Some kind of AI controlled unit, or perhaps a unit that triggers automaticly when something happens, maybe a unit that is completly computer driven?
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 13, 2001, 18:03   #6
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:27
There is a lot more monder techs I think.

Jon Miller
Old August 13, 2001, 18:14   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:27
Quote:
2- Integrated Defense - I honestly have no idea.
It appears as if that is where you will learn the technology to build the SDI Defence.

I really don't have any fits with the tech tree, in fact I like it.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:16   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Wille
1- Satellites - How will this work, does it just give you some city improvement or do you get to control satellites in space?!?!
I remember reading somewhere that satellites will be similar to what we had in SMAC. I'm not sure about it though.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:28   #9
TechWins
King

This is strange, two techs are green in the middle ages tree. Since we came to the conclusion of green meaning what you are researching, blue meaning what you have researched, gray what you haven't researched, and yellow what you can research this leads me to ask this question. Does this mean that we can now research two things at once?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:31   #10
TechWins
King

Eli you read that on a recent post from a Firaxian, I think.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:39   #11
Footie Mad
Prince

If you look closely you can see on some of the advances that it says an amount of turns. I noticed this on the brown and green coloured ones, this probably tells you how many turn it takes to research the advance.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 13, 2001, 18:40   #12
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Gone (17)

Automobile
Bridge Building
Combined Arms
Conscription
Explosives
Fundamentalism
Fusion Power
Guerilla Warfare
Labor Union
Leadership
Machine Tools
Plastics
Railroad
Refrigeration
Seafaring
Tactics
Trade

Renamed (7)

Environmentalism -> Ecology
Genetic Engineering -> Genetics
Mobile Warfare -> Motored Transportation
Literacy -> Literature
Nuclear Fission -> Fission
Steam Engine -> Steam Power
University -> Education

New (11)

Free Artistry
Integrated Defense
Military Tradition
Music Theory
Nationalism
Printing Press
Replaceable Parts
Satellites
Scientific Method
Smart Weapons
Synthetic Fibers

Sadly still missing (top 8)

Canal Building
Colonialism
Hydraulics
Logistics
The Mill
The Plough
Psychology
Tourism

Last edited by Ribannah; August 13, 2001 at 19:20.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:48   #13
skalman
Settler

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
3- Smart weapons - Some kind of AI controlled unit, or perhaps a unit that triggers automaticly when something happens, maybe a unit that is completly computer driven?
I think it makes your missiles more accurate, that will say there hit power will increase.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:49   #14
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:27
Folks, check out Space Flight. There is the Apollo Program, but there are three other Wonders as well. You can see little spheres like planets. One "planet" is red. Could it be that Firaxis added more Wonders for the colonization of Mars etc like we talked about here? Perhaps, they separated the Apollo Program and the Alpha Centauri mission into 2 separate Wonders? Or are they one of the spaceship modules? What do you guys think?

I also confirm in the Middle Ages screen that you can set up a "build queue" for research. That is great!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 13, 2001, 18:50   #15
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
This is strange, two techs are green in the middle ages tree. Since we came to the conclusion of green meaning what you are researching, blue meaning what you have researched, gray what you haven't researched, and yellow what you can research this leads me to ask this question. Does this mean that we can now research two things at once?
Techwins, please read my post. And you complain on others not reading all the posts?
Old August 13, 2001, 18:50   #16
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Well,it all looks fairly familiar.Some new stuff and some changes to existing stuff.Early government looks interesting.
I see Warrior Code,Burial,Mysticism and Polytheism as the pre reqs for Monarchy and Alpha,Writing and Laws as the pre reqs for Republic.
Feudalism is needed for Invention and Physics is now needed for Gravity

Industrial age looks very similiar but I don't know what Nationalism does.Amphibious Warfare looks like it will be as useful(not much) as it is in Civ2.Maybe even less.

Is Wheel before Horseback Riding?

Will you have to do every tech in each period before you can "move" on?

I got a feeling this ain't final.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:50   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
its a research queue. they are both green because one is being researched after the other.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:52   #18
TechWins
King

Under Motored Transportation there appears to be a tank then under a more advanced tech (Computers) there appears to be another tank. This means that there are two tanks in the game, one old and one new.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:55   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think under computers is a mech inf...

too lazy to read my big post?
Old August 13, 2001, 19:01   #20
Jarouik
Warlord

Has anybody noticed that, while all units seem to be on white background and buildings and most wonders on green, on the most modern technologies of Space Flight, Synthetic Fibers, Superconductor, Satellites and The Laser there are in all ten similar-looking objects on blue background... I am wondering whether these could be space improvements and spaceship parts or something of the sort? The look of the tiny graphics would suggest that as well.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:01   #21
TechWins
King

Actually I did read your post Uber, I guess I just missed the first line of something. Sorry.

Quote:
its a research queue. they are both green because one is being researched after the other.
I was referring to the comment Eli made about satellites. Were you to lazy to read that post?
Old August 13, 2001, 19:05   #22
Juggernaut
Prince

Whatever.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:15   #23
Warm Beer
Warlord

Veddy Interestink...
If Ribannah's math is correct (I trust it - I don't have that many fingers) there are 6 less techs than in Civ2. Aren't there supposed to be more in III than II?

Unless, of course, this is an incomplete listing of the tech tree.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 13, 2001, 19:16   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think we're all missing a key factor here...

HOW DID SNAPCASE RECIEVE THE PICTURES?

the answer?

oh ho ho.

HE HAS A BETA.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:18   #25
Juggernaut
Prince

Seems the whole game is leaning towards the "quality instead of quantity" concept.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:24   #26
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i think we're all missing a key factor here...

HOW DID SNAPCASE RECIEVE THE PICTURES?

the answer?

oh ho ho.

HE HAS A BETA.
Actually, he found them on Gamespot, although I wish you were correct.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:24   #27
Warm Beer
Warlord

Quality over quality is good...
Yeah, but I remember that it was mentioned that there is going to be a bigger tech tree in Civ3... or did I dream that?

Oh and it looks like there are only 5 gov'ts, Fundy gone... unless Nationalism is a Gov't, but I though it had been decided that it is just a tech.

Yikes, I am sounding like a whiner!
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 13, 2001, 19:27   #28
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Re: Veddy Interestink...
Quote:
Originally posted by Warm Beer
If Ribannah's math is correct (I trust it - I don't have that many fingers) there are 6 less techs than in Civ2. Aren't there supposed to be more in III than II?

Unless, of course, this is an incomplete listing of the tech tree.
It looks suspiciously complete. As I understand it, no links are shown between different eras because you need full knowledge of one era to begin with the next one.

By the way, with 10 fingers it's easy enough to count to 1023.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:45   #29
shum00
Chieftain

Nationalism is a government taking the place of Fundamentalism.
And I know these shots are not necessarily from an actual game, Republic has not yet been discovered from the Ancient tech tree, but the Middle Age tech tree has already begun being researched.
Old August 13, 2001, 19:45   #30
shum00
Chieftain

Double post