Old January 21, 2001, 14:43   #1
arii
Prince

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How to connect cities for extra trade bonus
The problem is that the computer only recognize 1 way to connect cities with road(/railroad)to get the extra 50%(/50%) trade.
I did some experiments trying to connect different cities.
If the 2 cities can be connected with horizontal and verticals, that will be the connection that will be recognized. Basically you can start from the recipient city and build road up to the sender city following the shortest horizontaland vertical path. That gives you 2 possible routes and only 1 is recognized and I'm not sure why 1 is recognized over the other. In 1 example where the city receiving is NE of the sender it recognizes hvv (horiz. vert. vert.), while when the sender is NW it recognizes vvhhhh. Maybe the shorter # of horizontal or vertical is prefered first.
When the 2 cities cannot be connected by horizontal or vertical the recognized connection will be going on an horizontal(or vertical) towards the city then on a straight diagonal to the city using the shortest path possible. Again 2 choices here. And it looks like the one that has the horizontal(vertical) from the recipient city is recognized.
Well happy trading guys and enjoy those +27 trade routes.
Old January 21, 2001, 15:00   #2
Kitana
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by arii on 01-21-2001 01:43 PM
The problem is that the computer only recognize 1 way to connect cities with road(/railroad)to get the extra 50%(/50%) trade.
I did some experiments trying to connect different cities.
If the 2 cities can be connected with horizontal and verticals, that will be the connection that will be recognized. Basically you can start from the recipient city and build road up to the sender city following the shortest horizontaland vertical path. That gives you 2 possible routes and only 1 is recognized and I'm not sure why 1 is recognized over the other. In 1 example where the city receiving is NE of the sender it recognizes hvv (horiz. vert. vert.), while when the sender is NW it recognizes vvhhhh. Maybe the shorter # of horizontal or vertical is prefered first.
When the 2 cities cannot be connected by horizontal or vertical the recognized connection will be going on an horizontal(or vertical) towards the city then on a straight diagonal to the city using the shortest path possible. Again 2 choices here. And it looks like the one that has the horizontal(vertical) from the recipient city is recognized.
Well happy trading guys and enjoy those +27 trade routes.

As you probably know Airports on two different continents trading Uranium can yield upto +30 trade.

------------------
Kitana
Shogun of the Japanese
Old January 21, 2001, 19:33   #3
Juggler_Bob
Chieftain

This is very intriguing and seems to have implications far beyond trade bonuses... Rather than hijacking this thread, I will start a new one...

Pathfinding: only one recognized route between cities http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001630.html?0

Bob
[This message has been edited by Juggler_Bob (edited January 21, 2001).]
Old January 25, 2001, 01:19   #4
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:50
I found the route for AI air units when playing 'Lord of the Ring' scenario. When an AI airborne unit wanted to come back to a city to avoid crash, it calculated the distance and chose the closest city to return. It went at 45 degree angle until it reached a line horizontal or verticle to the city, then move along the horizontal/verticle line from there. Knowing this, I was able to set up a trap along the route using 5 land units forming an arrow like
-----U--
------U-
-------U--------C
------U-
-----U--
--A-----
(here Us are your units, A is the AI air unit and C is the city).
When the AI air unit reached the middle unit ('U'), it tried to get around but couldn't, so it crashed (AI air units will crash when running out of gas if you can see them). You can try it your self.

I think the 'goto' command uses the same route.