Old August 13, 2001, 17:12   #1
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civs bound to colours
Has anything been said concerning the colour of the civs, will they have predetermined colours which they always will have like in the previous games or will you be able to choose their colours?
I sure hope you can play with any civ you want without having to worry that the colour is "occupied", this was a feature that I never really understood in the civ games, for some reason they limited you to playing with certain civs and not being able to use the ones you wanted.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 13, 2001, 17:14   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:28
People have speculated, but nothing has been confirmed by Firaxis. I hope and believe we can play with any civs we want.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:24   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

BTW I just saw something neat on the Cleopatra picture, you can barter with your cities. Someone probably saw this already but
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 13, 2001, 17:27   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:28
you could do that in civ 2 silly.

but not with the ai

good catch.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:28   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

rome was seen as red, and GRAY.

i think humanoid players are always red.

seems that way to me.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:44   #6
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 12:28
On the subject of colours, it has to be said (and not often enough) "Oh, Pierre, zat colour, it is so flatering on you..."
Old August 13, 2001, 17:49   #7
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by down th' pub
On the subject of colours, it has to be said (and not often enough) "Oh, Pierre, zat colour, it is so flatering on you..."
Im trying to be serious here!
Old August 13, 2001, 17:49   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:28
Quote:
Originally posted by down th' pub
"Oh, Pierre, zat colour, it is so flatering on you..."
Oh yes. You've gotta love the French.
Old August 13, 2001, 17:53   #9
Footie Mad
Prince

Oh la la! Those french knights DO look scary, please dont spank me!!
Old August 13, 2001, 18:04   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:28
It's obvious that you will be able to pick any civ you want. About being able to change color for each civ I'm not sure.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:10   #11
down th' pub
Warlord

And with another perverted, my work here is done.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:11   #12
Footie Mad
Prince

I must have written something wrong because I know that you can choose any civ you want to play with, the question is if I can have the opponents I want without the colours stopping me.
Old August 13, 2001, 18:12   #13
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
He he he, my old mates the French fromt the first civ colours thread. Those French knights must have fun Jousting each other
Old August 13, 2001, 18:21   #14
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:28
I really hope we will be able to choose.

So that we'll pick the 8 most comfortable colors for us and our eyes, and play only with them.
Old August 13, 2001, 23:01   #15
shum00
Chieftain

I think TechWins understood what you were saying, judging by the how you select your opponenents it seems like you can select any that you want.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:55   #16
tniem
King

What about the option to randomly pick a civ to play with? I really think this would be a great option to have in multiplayer. Would force us all to learn multiple strategies depending on what civ we end up with.

Was something they should have had in SMAC because my friends and I always had to pick out of hats to decide who got to be who. Allow us to randomize it please!
Old August 14, 2001, 02:20   #17
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:28
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
What about the option to randomly pick a civ to play with
I think that would be a FANTASTIC idea... reminds me of playing Axis and Allies, we'd turn the information cards over and picked our countries that way...it sucked to be Japan when Germany was picked by an idi... umm, "strategically challenged" person,
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 14, 2001, 02:52   #18
BlastDuke
Settler

Location: broadcasting from his captured Thargoid invasion ship
I want to add one more thought to the civ-color topic:

I already informed the Firaxis team to be aware of players suffering from color-blindness. It would be a great help for those players (including me) to choose the colors for each civ to avoid "bad" color combinations.
I know Firaxis released a color-blindness-patch for Alpha Centauri
(first ever in the computer-gaming-history ?!) and I am optimistic that they will not forget this when designing Civ3.

Note that 1 of 12 (male) people suffer from color-blindness !

have a nice "civ3-waiting" time !
Old August 14, 2001, 13:27   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Originally posted by BlastDuke
I want to add one more thought to the civ-color topic:

I already informed the Firaxis team to be aware of players suffering from color-blindness. It would be a great help for those players (including me) to choose the colors for each civ to avoid "bad" color combinations.
I know Firaxis released a color-blindness-patch for Alpha Centauri
(first ever in the computer-gaming-history ?!) and I am optimistic that they will not forget this when designing Civ3.

Note that 1 of 12 (male) people suffer from color-blindness !

have a nice "civ3-waiting" time !
I couldn't agree more...I'm not color blind, but if the colors are set those who plays as the french would then have a huge risk of becoming color blind
Old August 14, 2001, 14:21   #20
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 04:28
Sure, I'll jump on the ol' band wagon. I wanna be able to play one civ from each continent, or each civ from the same continent. By the way, I wanna be able to play with only one opponent, or even have an interesting non- militaristic game with just li'l ol' me. And I hope neither colors for specific civs or colors for human players are set in stone. I also want the game to be able to surprise me as to who I play, like in Alien Crossfire. Also I'd like to be able to set a group less than the total number available (including Editor civs and Scenario Civs) for the game to randomly choose from, so if using the Editor and Scenarios there are 16 European Civs, I can Choose from only the European ones.

About Axis & Allies, we'd just randomly pick from a set of one of each country's territory markers. On the computer, I love being Japan... it's easy to just sweep across the Asian continent. And I resemble that German Strategically Challenged Player remark!