Old January 15, 2001, 18:27   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI reputation
Ever been next to a civ that sneak attacks you every now and then? Sure it's a nice way to kick some butt while you stay Mr. Nice Guy but what happens to the Ai CIV's reputation?

Does it suffer too for breaking treaties? Will the other AI civs be become suspicious of it like they would of you if you did that? Or that too doesn't matter in AI?
Old January 15, 2001, 18:42   #2
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
my experiance as a warmonger indicates that, the ai civs don't give a damn about you being sneak attacked unless they are your allies. however, if one ai civ sneak attacks another. both will aproch you to take their side. however, they do notice when you are sneke attacked by another ai, and when you have frequent wars with them. when they want to declare war on that civ, they'll come to you and say something like"we would like you to declare war on our mutual enemies the..." this is the effect of ai reputation.
Old January 16, 2001, 00:15   #3
Sergeant Sheets
King

Its easier to make war in a Republic when your Reputation sucks. Make sure you despised before you try to make War as a Republic, or else the Senate passes Treaties behind your Back and you have to find the enemy's Enemy and be "forced" into war.

Reputation is as annoying as the High Council. Disregard utterly.

In MP, however, Reputation is important.

------------------
"Every time I hear the name "Sergent Sheets" I picture a blanket
with portraits of Patton, Einsenhower, MacArthur, and other WWII leaders."
The Brain

"One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets

"The only thing greater than the United State of America is you."
FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
We shall never forget!!
Old January 16, 2001, 06:46   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hi Sarge, long time no see! Why is reputation (as counted by the game) important in MP - I can see why reputation (as perceived by the other players) is important, but not the other????

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old January 21, 2001, 16:03   #5
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:50
Speaking of reputation, does anybody know what the formula is for how quickly the Player faction regains reputation? Is it even possible to regain reputation without the Eiffel Tower wonder?
Old January 21, 2001, 16:22   #6
SilverDragon

yes. its twice as fast with eiffell tower.

------------------
- SilverDragon, scourge of the western skies

Email me at
SilverDragon141@aol.com

Old January 21, 2001, 16:43   #7
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 17:50
Reputation is just a stupid feature. I say never have it below dishonorable, except at the beggining of the game.

------------------
If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Old January 21, 2001, 17:29   #8
Bereta_Eder
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 01-21-2001 03:43 PM
Reputation is just a stupid feature.

Not quite. I hate not being able to go beyond Cease Fire and have all their units next to my cities because they think I am a bad guy. (my intentions are good )

Old January 21, 2001, 17:52   #9
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

i love having a crappy reputation. what's the worst reputation possible. and how many treties do you have to break to get there.
Old January 21, 2001, 18:03   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Smokey tha nuke man on 01-21-2001 04:52 PM
i love having a crappy reputation.

That's because you have the «nuke factor» Smokey

Old January 21, 2001, 20:44   #11
Sergeant Sheets
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 01-16-2001 05:46 AM
Hi Sarge, long time no see! Why is reputation (as counted by the game) important in MP - I can see why reputation (as perceived by the other players) is important, but not the other????

Because in SP you can merely put in your time at the game and win (unless, of course, you're stupid). But in MP if you go around backstabbing and so on, the people you play against remember you for the bastard you are. The computer forgets everytime you restart a game.

Old January 21, 2001, 20:46   #12
Bereta_Eder
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Sergeant Sheets on 01-21-2001 07:44 PM
Because in SP you can merely put in your time at the game and win (unless, of course, you're stupid

I am stupid

Old January 30, 2001, 12:27   #13
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:50
Paiktis22, I strongly doubt your self-evaluation. I also suspect that one's real reputation as a player carries over in MP, whatever the machine says about that rep. In the late game, I haven't seen any real advantage in having a good reputation. Has anyone else? Even if you are going for AC, the AIs all mistrust you, won't deal, etc. Guess I agree with Sergeant Sheets once again, although that's pretty dangerous for me, what with his "stick it" response.
[This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old January 30, 2001, 15:53   #14
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Everyone:

In my most recent game — standard Earth map at King level — the AI Mongols broke cease-fires with me three times in a row. Believe it or not, their reputation actually suffered a one-point hit each time they violated their word.

It doesn't always punish itself that way, though. Most of the time I have to go in and manually set their reputation lower for each treaty/cease-fire violation (same w/breaking an alliance). Didn't have to w/the AI Mongols. I don't know why, either, other than the fact that maybe breaking an agreement one turn after it's signed may be the impetus the AI needs to degrade itself regarding reputation. Or maybe it was because the Mongols were the "supreme" power at the time of the first cease-fire violation; problem is, they were only a "strong" power after the third violation, yet the reputation still went down for them.

CYBERAmazon
Old January 30, 2001, 16:58   #15
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 18:50
How are you viewing the Mongols' reputation value, where is this presented? My only guess would be the diplo screen but I've never really looked for it. My only other idea would be to save the game, turn on cheat mode, change civ's, press F3 and look at the description your advisor gives you. Thanks in advance for the information.

Albert B
Old January 30, 2001, 23:41   #16
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:50
Cyber, that's not reputation you're looking at; it's "power," or strength. Both your reputation and your strength affect the AI's attitudes toward you. I don't think there's any straightforward way to know what an AI civ's reputation is; in fact, I sort of doubt that they have reputations at all.
Old January 31, 2001, 01:46   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

How can you seriously doubt my self evaluation and at the same time agree with Sergeant? Oxymoron.

I was not advocating keeping up a spotless rep. I was questioning if the AI suffers as you do when breaking treaties. In late game the AI acts as if you have called their mother bad bad names. This is a known fact.
I can win 95% of the time in Emperor, not 100% (with my no saves policy) so I am stupid!

In multiplayer things are indeed different no question about it. I remember my first ever game. I discovered an ungaurded city of one of my fellow players. I contacted him and requested that he gives me warrior code or else his city is history. He bowed before my request and gave me the tech.

Nevertheless I captured - destroyed his city as well. He never trusted me again - and I can understand it. From that game on I try to keep my word (if it's my interest of course )

A funny note is that what he DID give me was CODE OF LAWS, not warrior code. But I was so excited that my cohersion had worked (it was my first multiplayer game) that I didn't notice untill much later. Clever guy!

A note about potential benefits of keeping a spotless rep: the AI will agree to peace with all the modest benefists that entails for a perfectionist. This is not very important I concede but still it has some benefits.
Old January 31, 2001, 01:54   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I think the most important thing that Sergeant said is "if you take your time". That's true you can win nearly every game if you do take your time and think things through. Some people may still experience provblems though due to lack of training ( I don't feel I am own They are not stupid they are, well, untrained!
Old January 31, 2001, 02:59   #19
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Albert B:

When you begin a game, activate te cheat menu and toggle the "scenario" switch. This option will always save the game as a scenario, but it will play like an ordinary game. Mind you, this is on a Macintosh ... it's possible a PC has a slightly different route towards scenario-hood (but shouldn't, since the Mac version is based on the PC version).

Then go under "Edit King" in the menu bar and that will bring up a submenu listing various attributes and attitudes, including reputation. Enter that menu and, voila, you can alter the reputation of the AI who has violated a cease-fire, peace treaty or broken an alliance with you.

The points go like this:

1 = Cease-fire violation.
2 = Peace treaty violation.
3 = Abrogation of an alliance.

If you don't mind having the (Scenario) tagged at the end of your games that end up in the Top Five Hall of Fame screen, that's how you would access the "Reputation" menu. Also, the programming attaches a (Cheat) on those same game files, which, to me, is stupid because if you want to play as a scenario, you have no choice but to activate the cheat menu.

CYBERAmazon

Debeest:

Sure it's the "Reputation" menu. Says so right on the option. Also, whenever you type in a number, the reputation either goes up or down. Example: If you have an "excellent" reputation, the number "1" will appear in the menu. If you are "spotless" the number "0" will appear. The higher the number, the worse your reputation; the reverse is true for a better reputation.

CYBERAmazon