Old January 28, 2001, 16:17   #1
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Tribe nationality affecting stats?!
All right, I'm not usually given over to rumor and mere hearsay (regardless of how I've been portrayed on my website) but I heard that the Civ2 tribes have inbuilt statistical differences, such as combat bonuses and domestic abilities, etc.

I am a seasoned (ahem) scenario builder, so I know about the RULES.txt changes for leader personality wrt city construction, civilization tech choices, and treaty faithfulness. This disputed property of certain factions that I'm talking about here has nothing to do with that normal approach. I've heard, for example, that the Japanese tribe gets an inherent combat bonus when attacking or defending.

Can anybody clarify this for me? I suspect it was discussed on an earlier thread, but can't find it. I am strenuously against the idea of non-customizable unique faction attributes in Civ3, and I am greatly surprised to find accusations that this has already happened in Civ2!
Old January 28, 2001, 16:28   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
Nope, I really doubt it.

The closest it gets to unique-ish traits is the perfectionist civs, starting techs, colors, etc. SMAC was considered innovative compared to civ2, in part, because of the personalities of each faction leader. The names in civ2 are window dressing, don't worry about a secret advantage/disadvantage you've played under for the past years
Old January 28, 2001, 16:36   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:51
Have a quick look at our "A is for Alphabet" thread - there are a few very minor hard wired advantages that we discovered - in particular the Egyptians have a proclivity to start with Masonry -- beyond this we at least cannot help.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old January 28, 2001, 21:01   #4
Zeevico
Chieftain

There was a post which had the Babylonians versing the Romans or some other miliytaristsic civ and it turns out that although the romans won more times than the Babylonians in archer vs archer/ combat and it was never more than 3, and therefor was inconclusive.
Old February 1, 2001, 15:39   #5
Kitana
Chieftain

I will admitt something. I used to always play the Japanese civ. Recently I've started experimenting with different civs and I have to admitt that militarilly speaking I have a better time attacking/defending as the Japanese. This could just be coincidental though.

------------------
Kitana
Shogun of the Japanese
Old February 2, 2001, 05:00   #6
rixxe
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Zeevico on 01-28-2001 08:01 PM
There was a post which had the Babylonians versing the Romans or some other miliytaristsic civ and it turns out that although the romans won more times than the Babylonians in archer vs archer/ combat and it was never more than 3, and therefor was inconclusive.

Yes, I performed the tests, it was Babs vs Mongols (with archers, and alpine), there has never been a significal difference.

Old February 2, 2001, 10:36   #7
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SG(1)
If it is Medoc inside the magnum, I swear I play three games in a row as the English.