Old August 24, 2001, 15:05   #91
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by kolpo

The Brits had an important role in the creation of israel after WWII and most inhabitants of Israel are imigrants from Europe(after WWII wanted they there own country so they will be save if something like WWII happens again in Europe) I think that that is the reason why they are included.
and many of the jews who did not come from Europe have had strong european cultural influence EG many north african jews in Israel speak French, many Iraqi jews were culturally anglicized (indeed some of the wealthiest ones didnt settle in Israel but moved to Hong Kong instead) Regardless of the political significance of this there is strong musical significance, as much Israeli pop music has a strong "mediterranean" flavor, very different from middle eastern music.

Though I'll admit that the 2 israeli award winners im aware of "halleluyah" and "lu yehi" dont sound particularly mediterranean. The former sounds like american pop, and the later has an american folk/east european yiddish/israeli folk sound, at least to my ears.

LOTM
Old August 24, 2001, 15:21   #92
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:36
Most of Russia is in Asia too, yet part is in Europe. Same goes for Turkey. Most is in Asia, yet part is in Europe. Therefor, both Turkey and Russia should have the same status. And how about Turkish Cyprus? That's Europe too.

BTW, is Greenland part of Europe? I know it's Danish, but is it geographically part of Europe? I know Iceland is.
Old August 24, 2001, 17:28   #93
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 07:36
Quote:
My prediction: the warmonger AI will quite always beat the builder AI
Kolpo, I have to agree with you there. In Civ II (before multiplayer came along), I would go in the rules text and change all the civs to warmongers so they would be tougher to beat. I don't see that Civ III would be able to change this reality.
Old August 24, 2001, 17:32   #94
Falconius
Prince

When quoting another post, how do I get the "originally posted by" message in with the quote? I don't see an option for it.
Old August 24, 2001, 17:34   #95
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
When quoting another post, how do I get the "originally posted by" message in with the quote? I don't see an option for it.
Never mind, just figured it out!
Old August 24, 2001, 18:06   #96
CIA_Operative
Settler

Local Time: 04:36
To answer Mark L's question

No Greenland is not part of Europe, it belongs to Denmark, God only knows why, but it is geographically in North America its closer to Canada than Iceland.
--John 8:32
Old August 24, 2001, 18:32   #97
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:36
This thread from a couple of months ago talked about this exact topic

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

It also included an attempt at analyzing tile size and map size.

Somewhere around that time, Dan talked about the 6x map. I would try to find it but Apolyton is, again, acting waaaay too slow.
Old August 24, 2001, 19:01   #98
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by CIA_Operative

No Greenland is not part of Europe, it belongs to Denmark, God only knows why, but it is geographically in North America its closer to Canada than Iceland.
Hey wait a min., what is someone on the boards want's it in Europe. It is very close to Iceland.
OK; on this one you really win.
What would this place be like without some fun.

Old August 24, 2001, 20:53   #99
ancient
Prince

Heres what i think
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	802688b.bmp
Views:	22
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	2036  
Old August 27, 2001, 05:10   #100
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Local Time: 12:36
Quote:
Originally posted by CIA_Operative
I happened to have spent my holiday in Iceland this summer. In Reykjavik I visited a beautiful exhibition "the Vikings and the new World". The history of Greenland has to do with the history of Iceland. Iceland was colonized early 9th century (800 > 850 AD) by vikings from Norway. Irish monks, who left when the vikings entered the scene, are supposed to have settled there from the late 6th century on. After Iceland was colonized, Greenland was colonized under Norwegian flag.
Iceland and Greenland developed into independ colonies (could that be possible in CIV ??), but when in the 13th century feuds tore the colonies apart, the Norwegian king was called in to restore law and order. Both colonies came under danish rule when Norway became a part of Denmark in 1380. When in 1814 Denmark had to pass Norway on to Sweden, Iceland and Greenland stayed under danish rule.
During WW-II the english were afraid that the germans who had already occupied Denmark. might occupy Iceland. So they, instead of the germans, occupied the country. In 1944 during the english/allied occupation, Iceland chose to be independ from Denmark. Somehow a logical step, the icelandic already had gotten homerule in 189(5/6 ??). Well and Greenland is uptill now still a "colony" from Denmark.
BTW Norway became independ from Sweden in 1905.

Last edited by Vrank Prins; August 27, 2001 at 05:18.