Old August 17, 2001, 19:37   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Armies of Settlers / Workers?
could you make an army (stack) of workers and have them always travel around together, maybe with a legion in there for defence?

could you but 5 settlers in a stack with 3 phalanxes and make a size 5 city with full defence in one turn?
Old August 17, 2001, 20:06   #2
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

That would be cool to have "guard/protect" command.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 17, 2001, 20:54   #3
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
I don't think you'll be able to found cities bigger than size 1, although you could in Ctp2 with the modern settler or whatever it was.

I think if you had 5 settlers in a stack, and wanted them all to settle the same city - it'd kinda be like an instant city without any hard work - I can't see Firaxis letting that be in the game.

I do think, however, that stacks of workers should be able to build tile improvements more quickly - that makes sense, doesn't it?
Old August 17, 2001, 21:09   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 13:37
It's worked in the past so I don't see why they would change it. Every settler converts 2 pop to 1 pop so it is hardly cost efficient even ignoring the increasing food cost of growing larger populations.

A grouping method (other than armies) would be useful for moving stacks around in one go if you did like the worker/worker/guard concept. I'd be even happier if the auto-worker did sensible things to improve a city and auto-patrol guards would understand how to guard them effectively. That is the sort of micromanagement I don't like to handle when I'm up to 30+ cities
Old August 18, 2001, 04:10   #5
JellyDonut
Prince

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to found a city more than size 1. In Civ2, if you had enough settlers/engineers, one could found a city and the rest could join it to increase size up to size 8.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 18, 2001, 04:55   #6
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin
I don't think you'll be able to found cities bigger than size 1, although you could in Ctp2 with the modern settler or whatever it was.
Well, a settler costs 2 pop-points so a starting-size of 2 pops seems reasonable - but maybe cities in Civ-3 starts with only 1 pop, I dont know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jelly Donut
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to found a city more than size 1. In Civ2, if you had enough settlers/engineers, one could found a city and the rest could join it to increase size up to size 8.
I hope they put a more restrictive top-limit on how many settlers/workers can merge a newly founded city without that city having enough infrastructure/ city-improvements. 8 pops seems too much.
Old August 18, 2001, 13:17   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

actually i think the 2 pop to form 1 pop to start a city is what they're going to do. in the resource tutorial, Rome is a 1 at the beginning.

although thats odd for your population number on the side (10,000 people dying off), i guess it would prevent sleeze a bit more, having to wait for the city to grow twice before you could pump out a settler. makes you want to build a temple or something