Old January 29, 2001, 16:28   #1
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 18:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Being able to disband units for shields was a great addition to Civ2.

In my Civ1 days I had an "early retirement plan" for outdated units - usually consisting of them swarming enemy cities to deny resources and to bash, en mass and at terrible odds, against their walls.

When Gunpowder came around in Civ1 I'd have more outdated phalanxes than you could shake a stick at!
Old January 30, 2001, 01:21   #2
Stuff2
Warlord

Local Time: 23:51
obsolete units
In late game this is a strategy i often use. I let my most developed cities build new units wich then is moved to less developed cities where the old and usually obsolete units gets disbanded and providing sheilds for new improvements.
Old January 30, 2001, 04:40   #3
rixxe
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Disbanding units could be useful, early in the game when trade -> caravans are unavailable to boost your wonders productions...sometimes i disband an obsolete , what give me the necessary shield to buy a new one at half the price...
Old January 30, 2001, 05:59   #4
Marko_Polo

Well, I really love builing Leo's so I never have obsolete units. Especially this is good for changing all those settlers to engineers!

Old January 30, 2001, 11:19   #5
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
In SP, the computer warns you when another civ is about to complete a wonder. If you disband, use caravans, and spend sufficient money you can beat the computer opponent and build the wonder yourself. Under those circumstances, Leo's is usually worth it. How is this handled in multiplayer games? Is there a warning? If so, which of (possibly) several rushers gets the wonder?
Old January 30, 2001, 11:38   #6
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

There is no warning in MP. The best you can do is look at the color of your techs or examine embassy information. The first player to fill the shield box at the beginning of his turn gets the wonder: for example, if player A will build a wonder next turn, player C can rushbuy it while player B is moving and get the wonder. If player C rushes during his own turn instead, he loses out.
Old January 31, 2001, 01:22   #7
Albert B
Warlord

Stuff2, I do a similar thing if I don't get Leo's. I will disband obsolete units as I am building the newer models to speed up the process of modernizing my army. I especially do this with defensive units in interior cities, such as phalanx to musketeers/riflemen. In troubled/border locations I will sometimes even use your method and build the new units in another city and then ship the old ones off to disband in the 'recruiting' city.
Old January 31, 2001, 11:38   #8
Stuff2
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 01-30-2001 04:59 AM
Well, I really love builing Leo's so I never have obsolete units. Especially this is good for changing all those settlers to engineers!

I usually have leos too, what i meant is that in end game i don't want to have useless riflemen when mech infantrys is so much better. My policy is that a small and effecient army is much better than a big inefficient. So i let my fully developed cities produce good units instead of capitalization and use the extra sheilds from disbanded units in developing other cities so i can become even larger and richer. This way the less developed regions of my empire will quite fast catch up with the rest of the empire.
Old February 5, 2001, 09:31   #9
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

I like to build a little museaum of every type of unit in my capital. Somtimes you have to scour the planet with a spy trying to find an elephant to complete your collection. Its like Pokemon, but turn based.
Old February 5, 2001, 14:01   #10
Albert B
Warlord

johnmcd, that may be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. What a cool idea/goal!
Old February 5, 2001, 15:28   #11
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

If you stay away from those decadent representative governments, units never really become obsolete. That guy with a spear and loincloth is just as effective at imposing martial law as a mech infantry. I like to have at least one modern unit in my cities, but I don't necessarily disband a unit just because it can't hold its own in battle. He will still serve perfectly well as a third police unit in some city away from the front lines.