Old February 11, 2001, 17:29   #1
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well, since nobody replied,
I will write my thoughts...

AI controlled civs:
About the Japanese, I saw that they tend to built large navys.
The ships of the Vikings are a knightmare - they have some defense and attack bonus.
The cities of the Russians are the most difficult ones to be captured. They require a strong siege.

Unfortunately, about the other civs I don´t have any impressions. And note that these are things that correspond in some level with reality. And aren´t documented anywhere.

Additionally, one day I saw a different power graph. I think some problem (bug or whatever) happened and, when I saw the graph, it showed different ciclic lines
(like heart beats) for each civs. Maybe this is some sort of tendency of behavior (a carrier), that is modified during gameplay. Unfortunately (again) I saw this just once. And, like an extraterrestrial signal, it has to happen again to receive credits.

I´ll wait for your comments.

Thanks.

Old February 11, 2001, 23:35   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
The Coke is good in Brazil eh
Old February 12, 2001, 01:18   #3
Craftsman
Chieftain

Specific abilities in Civ2 civs.
Hello, people!

I just want to know if anyone suspects that the Civ2´s civs have specific abilities (only for AI).

I have some thoughts, but I decided to ask first.

Thanks for your attention.

Old February 12, 2001, 03:57   #4
Juggler_Bob
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:51
quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by War4ever on 02-11-2001 10:35 PM</font>

ROTFLMAO!

But really,

I think what Craftsman is really experiencing is not the quasi-hallucinogenic effects of a concentrated extract of the noble cocoa leaf, the Brazilian national reputation for producing a quality product aside...

Instead, hasn't it already been said that the different colors (various nations) reflect a tendency towards one or another type of leadership style?

Are the Russians (white?) Perfectionists?

If so, that would go far towards explaining Craftsman's difficulty in taking their well-defended cities (barracks, etc.)

Are the Japanese typically expansionist?(militaristic?)

But these characteristics are shared by all nations who bear similar colors, or are the recreational pharmaceuticals of exceptionally high (no pun [double pun??] ) quality here in Colorado as well?

-Bob

[This message has been edited by Juggler_Bob (edited February 12, 2001).]
Old February 12, 2001, 16:28   #5
Craftsman
Chieftain

quote:

Our products certainly are outstanding.
And the Coke from Atlanta is also very nice.

Thanks for your very illustrative help.

Old February 12, 2001, 19:05   #6
Chaos Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by War4ever on 02-11-2001 10:35 PM

LOL

Old February 12, 2001, 20:34   #7
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Guys, you can find all information about the tribes' attitudes in the Rules.txt file. You can even change them if you want.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old February 13, 2001, 00:22   #8
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
yes ironic..... i find on mge thought that the settings for the leaders inevitably are the same....even though they state something totally different.

The leaders are delusional and paranoid of my large nation..... always believing i am out to get them....it must be all that coke they are taking.

Old February 13, 2001, 09:50   #9
rixxe
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Juggler_Bob
Instead, hasn't it already been said that the different colors (various nations) reflect a tendency towards one or another type of leadership style?

Yes, it has been said, and a lot of times, we talked about the colors, the civs, etc,...I have done tests in december; unfortunatly the thread has been deleted,...

Bab archer attacking a Mongol Archer, etc...

and at the end, the bab won 50% of times , like the mongol, ....

But I'm thinking right now of doing test of a Mongol attacking a Bab city, and vice versa,...
Old February 13, 2001, 09:53   #10
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 18:51
Each of the leaders do have a certain style based on three variables labeled in rules.txt as attack, expand and civilize. Each variable has a value of -1, 0 or 1 and corresponds as follows:

attack:
1 = aggressive
0 = neutral
-1 = rational

expand:
1 = expansionistic
0 = neutral
-1 = perfectionist

civilize:
1 = civilized
0 = neutral
-1 = militaristic

These traits are used to describe the civ in the embassy/check info screen just below the capital, money, current research info (for example, the Russians screen will say "Aggressive, militaristic", the Romans reads "Civilized, expansionist", Babylonians are "Rational, civilized perfectionists"). If you get tired of the always knowing the civs tendancies just by knowing their name, you can download my utility randciv from here which will randomize the three traits for all 21 civs. Of course as pointed out earlier, in MGE, once you are most powerful, it appears that all civs resort to an aggressive, militaristic approach.

The characteristics are supposedly assigned based on the real civs history not by the color of the civ. The values are used to weight decisions that must be made, namely which techs to research, trade for and request in negotiations; what cities should produce (ie improvements vs. units); how often they declare war, etc.

Others have proposed that other benifits are inherited by certain civs: the SG's proved most conclusively that the initial techs given for "bad starting positions" are influenced by the civilized (I believe this is the one) value of the civ you choose. I don't have the link to the actual post but it's in the "Great Library". It has been suggested that certain civs' units receive bonus attack/defense values but all such claims have been disproved to this point.

Anyway, that's my 2+ cents worth.

Albert B

edit: clarify a point I was making...
[This message has been edited by Albert B (edited February 13, 2001).]